Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I'm not an expert on Alvor as we only popped in there this year but it did look very nice. Puddleduck has just been and may be able to come on and shed a bit more light on how it would be there with a one year old. It has a lovely wide expanse of beach.

Lagos is very nice as well it's a little bit further west and certainly fits the bill in terms of bars and restaurants to sit at and watch the world go by. The only problem might be if you wish to use the buggy extensively as the 'old town' is cobbled in places although the Marina area is flat.

Are you going with a Tour Operator or DIY? The Algarve is often cheaper DIY due to the numbers of cheap flights.

The transfer to Alvor would be under an hour (45 or 50 mins) if you got a private transfer or drove, but if on a tour operators coach it's anybody's guess as it will be down to the number of drop offs before you.

The 'old town' part of Albuferia is also supposed to be nice and would be a lot closer in terms of transfers. We parked next door to the Brisa Sol apartments this year and they looked OK and seem to get good reports. I think they are halfway between the old town and the strip.

Just IMHO but I would give Praia d Rocha a wide berth, it's a bit high rise.

Doe :D
Alvor itself is a very family friendly resort - pushing a pram round the town itself wouldn't be a problem - but if the apartments you are talking about are the ones that are at the top of the hill and split into two either side of the road then that is a steep hill and is is a 15 or 20min walk to the town (on a not very scenic road). There are however loads of taxis at the rank in Alvor.

Also the beach is a 20min walk from there
thanks for the input - i am considering DIY, because as mentioned the cheap flight prices are very attractive.
If you are looking at DIY accomdation in Alvor I can recommend Alto Club (apts and villas) at Alvor. Superb accomdation and it has the advantage of the pedestrian gate at the bottom of the complex where you come out and are more or less in the town
great, i'll keep my eyes open

Thanks!
We managed to push a buggy about this year with a 19 month (big) boy up and down the Strip and around the steeper parts of the Old Town Albufeira no problems. Anywhere flatter will be no worry, good exercise burning off the beer, wine and food!! Beware, if your wee one is mobile then most bars seem to be up a few steps so watch out they dont stray too far.

The Portuguese love children and you will be welcomed everywhere.

Lummie
Hi there, as Doe says we've just been to Alvor and I really liked it.

The beach is lovely - very, very long, wide and safe. Depends on where you are staying particularly if you're in an apartment as some can be a hike to the beach.
The restaurants in the Algarve are very child friendly - many places you can eat and drink outside so a baby in a buggy will be no problem.
Getting around shouldn't be a problem, we stayed in the MarAlvor apartments which are up near the Club Alvorferas and it was a 10/15 minute walk down to the town where most of the restaurants and bars were. That's only a slight hill, nothing too demanding and if you are tired on the way back you can always grab a taxi (don't think they have baby seats though). Which apartments were you thinking of?
October is a great time to go - we were blessed with temps in the high 70s last month - it won't be too hot for the baby.
Thanks Lummie and Puddleduck.

I was thinking about the Club Alvor Golf (or the property formerly known as Club Alvor Golf) - think its about 15 mins up the hill, from what I have read elsewhere
They are a little bit further than our apartments were so if the beach is a priority you might find it a bit of hike each day.
That said, if like us, you pick a car up at the airport then you can drive right up to the beach, get out of your car and you're on the sand immediately. I have to admit we were lazy and did that the one day we spent on the beach!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.