Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
The food is pretty good at Maria's, we ate there a couple of times in May. Also try to have an evening in Nafplion - we ate at a taverna called the Dionysos but there are lots of nice looking places and it's a lovely place to wander round in the evening.
Hi again toastedmallow, there are so many lovely tavernas you will be spoilt for choice,we did'nt have one duff meal.For a quieter location we really liked the one behind/below Demos studios,A little green oasis with the best greek hospitality,(husband,wife and mother-in-law)cooked fresh,huge portions and very reasonable.If you just call by to check out the menu, you'll be welcomed in and given a glass of house wine while you browse(warning,its very strong!!)Wherever you choose you will not be disappointed.Have a great time,it really is an amazing place,we loved it. DL.
Hi toastedmallow, I agree with DL that there are many nice tavernas and we have never been disappointed with any of the ones we have tried. I have a couple of favourites. One is Chez Gilles which as you can tell by the name is not a typical greek taverna. Gilles is french and his wife Maria is Greek so the food is an interesting combination of the two cultures. It isn't cheap though. My other favourite is on the beach but I cant remember the name, if you go down to the beach past Gorillas bar and walk towards the harbour it is the second taverna (there is the one which goes onto the jetty, our favourite bar then the taverna we like).

DL where abouts is Demos studios. I haven't come across the taverna you mention but I would be interested in trying it when we are there in September.
It must be almost 10 years since we were in Tolon and Marias was around then. We had some great meals there. We spoke to someone who went there every night of his fortnight's holiday ( bit sad really!!)
Thanks guys!
I'll certainly look out for your recommendations.
The place on the beach wasn't the Romvi? We're staying in this small hotel and it is supposed to have an excellent restaurant. We're B &B and like to sample a wide variety of places but are hopeful it will be good.
No matter where we go we always seem to find one place that stands out & go back there 4 or 5 times during our holiday. Does anyone else find this?
Getting more impatient by the day! Especially as you all seem to have loved Tolo! 8)
Hi, Sorry,got the name wrong,not Demos but Dimitra taverna(senior moment!)Its the first turning on the right after Kosmar office going down hill.The taverna is up a side road(dead end track I think) by the post office.Yes, we tend to return to a fave place ,the very best has our custom on our last night.We did have a meal in Romvi, great selection if I remember correctly and always very busy which speaks for itself.Happy hols DL.
Hi toastedmallow I have eaten at Romvi and have enjoyed the food but the taverna I like is further down the beach (away from the harbour), I have been trying to remember the name but I have totally forgotten it. It is next to Korralies (dodgy spelling ) bar but it isn't the one that goes onto the jetty. I agree about finding a place and going back over and over. We try not to so that we can sample other places but it doesn't always happen. Hope you enjoy Tolo as much as we have over the years.

DL I know which taverna you mean, it is just around the corner from the lotto bar which is where we do spend quite a bit of time watching football with a few beers and chatting with the locals. Maybe we should give it a try this time.
Hi Ginamc,I see you are a regular visitor to Tolo,I can understand why ,we were really taken with the area.Kosmar's picture does'nt do it justice,we're not ones for big hotels and rows of sunbeds but we wanted to get a base to visit Naphlion. What a lovely surprise to find a working greek town and not just a holiday resort and the places you can get to from there is amazing.We will be going back some time as there is still so much to see and do.Evenings there were the best time ever,lucky you and toastedmallow (not long now),I'm getting excited for you!! DL
DL, I really love Tolo but can't explain why, I think that this year will be Chris's (hubby) 15th visit but only my ninth. I have stayed in other areas but always go back to Tolo. My favourite spot when I am there is in Korrellies bar on the beach reading a book and chatting with friends. We know quite a few of the ex pats and as we go at the same time every year we bump into others on holiday at that time. I cant't wait until we go in September but it seems so far away. I take it from the tone of your postings that you won't be visiting Tolo this year.

Toastedmallow, I hope you have a wonderful time when you are there.
Listening to you 2 is making me even more impatient.
Tickets arrived today!! :D
Has either of you done the day trip to Athens? I've always wanted to see the Acropolis, and am hoping to do this this year. Any Advice?
There are some other ancient sights I want to get to and am keen to do the Kalavrita(sp?) train. Also very keen to lie on my backside with a good book!!! :P
Any other not -to-be-misseds?
Hi, From Tolo you can get a coach to Kalavrita(take your hankies),worth every euro, if a bit rushed.We did'nt do the Athens trip as hope to have a city break there some time.The ones that did go said it was definitely worth it.Boat trip to Hydra,Spetse and Aegina was very good,excellent modern boat and just enough time on each island.Same boat does an evening trip to Nafplio,which we did but returned there by local bus to have more time to explore.While there if you want to climb the 865ish steps to the castle,do it well before 6.30....it does close!! We got to the top 5 mins too late!! Also a little boat trip to the venetian castle in the harbour (in Nafplio) is a must.We went one sat eve and there was a wedding party due.It looked lovely and the views and sunset were breathtaking.
Pick your own spot for chilling out with a good book,there are tavernas all along the beach.
Ginamc,your almost a local ,I'll be interested with you suggestions for future ref.
We,re going to Halkidiki in three weeks (and one day),after all this I almost wish it was back to Tollo).Happy hols to us all. Bye DL
More useful info ...........Thanks again.
Just 2 last questions:

Is there an internet cafe in Tolo? ( No I'm not a complete addict. Just I need to book Easyjet flights and they aren't 'up' yet. but due to be released at start of July!)

And do any trips pass by or go up the Corinth Canal?
Hi, yes I'm sure there is an internet cafe up the top by the Kosmar office.Ginamc may know for sure.Yes we did the corinth canal trip.there were 2,one to Athens and corinth and one trip to the islands and corinth,all very good value.On the 'main road' about half way there are quite a few options for trips,and very helpful staff.Well, thats it I wish I was coming with you now!!!! Have fun DL.
toastedmallow there are two internet cafes in Tolo. There is one opposite the Kosmar office and there is one in the lotto bar just below the post office. We use the lotto bar basically because we like the owners and they sell nice beer.
Kosmar did a trip through the Corinth Canal last year, it was joined with a trip to Epidauras. We had hired a car so I drove up and caught a boat with some dutch tourists. The trip was excellent but the only snag was that as I was the only English person on board (hubby didn't fancy the trip) none of the tannoy info was in English. Not sure how you will find out the times of the trip, we had tried a day earlier but none were running so had to go back for the boat trip.

I only did the Athens trip once. It was when the flights were into Athens and you went on the last day and the luggage followed. We went on the 29th July and arrived at mid day so didn't really appreciate the sights as it was too hot. I am trying to persuade hubby to do a long weekend trip when the weather is cooler.
With regards Kalavrita, it is a wonderful town and the train journey is spectacular. Diacofto at the other end isn't nothing to write home about though. Again we hired a car and stayed overnight as there is a lot to see in the surrounding areas. There are some wonderful caves on the way up. If you do go and get the train ask for a 1st class ticket, you will be sat by the driver and you get much better views as you see forward as well as sideways. On the journey back up the driver actually stopped the train and pointed out a wonderful view so I could take a photo.
If you do book trips check out all the booking shops as some may be cheaper than booking through the reps, not always though.

I'll shut up now :) I do have a tendancy to go on a bit. Hopefully the info is helpful.
Thanks Gina.
That was really helpful. I know it will be scorching and probably too hot for Athens but am determined to see the Acropolis as we will be on the mainland for the 1st time.
We intend to hire a car for a few days and am glad you haven't scared us off doing that!
2 weeks today & we'll be there!! :D
There are lots of car hire offices in Tolo so check them all out before deciding. We usually use one on the right on the road going towards the harbour,as we have always found it to be reasonable (not the Hertz office) but it might not be the same in the height of the season. The main Greek roads are pretty good but if you go off the beaten track you have to be careful as some turn into dirt tracks (not all). We love driving in Greece as you get to explore more than if you go on organised tours.

I am so envious that in two weeks you will be there, we have got about another 11 weeks to wait before we are in Greece and 12 weeks before we are in Tolo.
Romvi has wonderful food. We didn't stay there but we did eat there on several occasions and particularly enjoyed the seafood. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as I haven't been to Greece for four years.
We just got back in the early hours of Monday.We ate at the Romvi and had a really good meal.It's usually busy so you sometimes need to go and eat a little earlier than you would normally.Also worth a mention is the "potatoes haris" at the little fisherman's portacabin near the harbour.They are absolutely delicious and quite filling.Also the take out cheesecakes at the Eleven snack bar are well worth trying.You just have to make sure you walk all the good food off.Alternatively you can climb up to Palamidi everyday which was what a couple we met were doing.When i asked in amazement why they were doing this they replied that it kept them fit and was good for the heart.After having done it just the once I think they are mad.
Great! It's wonderful to hear so many positive comments. :hyper
But am a bit concerned about the dire consequences of so much good food!
BTW what's Palamidi?
Hurdler, I suppose the temperatures were soaring when you left?...mid 30s?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.