Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi

We are looking for any advice/tips on this hotel. We are booked to go at the end of May. There are four of us in the party plus two 8 year olds. We are getting married during our stay so any advice regarding weddings would be great.

Any thoughts on weather/trips/food/entertainment would be much appreciated.

:D
Hi

We have reviews for this hotel HERE.
For weather info/posts, please see the dedicated weather topic towards the top of the forum.

Pippy :D
Hi

I was asking for information on this hotel :?

Sorry, just wanted some friendly advice

:D
Hi Katebry,
We were married at the Riu Yucatan in March of last year. We had a great time. It is a lovely hotel and the co-ordinators sorted all the details for the wedding. It really was stress free! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I am happy to help if I can.
Tabby.
In my opinion although the Yucatan is beach front, the Tequila is a far nicer hotel. The pool area is fantastic, the service is great, and there is absolutely no words to describe the food. When we went to the beach we did use the facilities of the yucatan and called in for an occasional drink at night. The guests at the other hotels came in droves to the Tequila at night for the fantastic entertainment ( very professional) We will certainly go back to the Riviera Maya, but having been in all the hotels of the group it will definitely be a return to the Tequila.
Hi, I'm staying at the Yucatan from the 7th to the 22nd November, and hopefully getting married on the 17th, my fiance, daughter and mum are coming with me but I'm wondering if anyone else will be there at the same time and if so would anyone like to be our witnesses?!!
Thanks, Sue.
I hope you have a fabulous time Sue. The Yucatan is a great hotel. All the best for your big day.
Hi Puddleduck, I can't wait to go, I've been once before and loved it, and I can't wait to see how much it's changed, thanks also for good wishes!!
Looking for some tips/ reccomendations for the Riu Yucatan, going on 7th May, am wanting to do the whole swimming dolphins thing too so any advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks 8)
We caught the ferry over and swam with dolphins on Cozumel - link here http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Ddsnorkel?From=ACTIVITIES
It was a wonderful experience and I'd recommend you take a underwater/waterproof camera with you.

I've seen others on this forum recommend dolphin discovery but I don't personally know anyone who has been. Here's a link for them - http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

From the hotel we visited Tulum & Xcaret Eco Park.

Chichen Itza is a "must-see" if you like archeology but don't know if it's 'doable' in a day as I'm not sure how far it is from Playa del Carmen and we went whilst on our tour (we did a 7 day tour/7 day AI stay combo)

hotel reviews are here - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d154739-Reviews-Riu_Yucatan-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html and here - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/mexico/yucatan-peninsula/playacar/riu-yucatan-hotel/
thanks for that... ill have a look :D
Hi Barnsy,
We have just returned from the Sandos Playacar which is next door but one to the Yucatan. Forget any thoughts of snorkelling here. Visibility is poor and the sea is more often rough than calm. Take the ferry to Cozumel and get a taxi to the National Park. The snorkelling is out of this world. You do not need to take bread but if you do some of the fish are quite big and they bite. I have never seen such a variety of fish including puffer fish, rays, parrot fish and clown fish among many others I have never seen any where else. This is the 2nd largest reef in the world and its fantastic
Can anyone recommend a block at the yucatan that would be better to request?? Thanx sal x :lol:
rdv,
Can you tell me more about the National Park, I have not heard of it before.
How long is the taxi ride and cost please?
Is it a beach or enclosed area?
Would you have to pay an entrance fee?
Are there restaurants and facilities close by?
Any other info. would be great.
Lorraine
Hi Lorraine,
the national park is called Chankanaab and full details can be found at http://www.cozumelparks.com
Its 8/10 minutes from the ferry dock and we paid $10 for a taxi. The entrance to the park was $16. Snorkelling gear is available at a small charge but we took our own. The park is huge with the largest dolphin enclosure I have seen. The beaches are white sand but man made because this is a very rocky coastline. However the beaches are excellent with steps down into the water at intervals. Sunbeds and shades are free and there are plenty of catering facilities. We were there all day but didnt get to do any of the nature trails. The visibility is superb and the variety of fish amazing, they come in very close to the rocks. Most of the coral close to shore is dead but there are plenty of boats to takeyou further out to the reef, most of these are available from the port. Any thing else just ask, Bob
Hi all, after some information about the Riu Yucatan in Playacar.

1: What is the dress code in the evening for men and women
2: what would you recommend on trips for a family and the best place to book from

Thankyou
Unless its changed from 2 years ago it was smart casual ie. cropped trousers and shirt. Basically no vests for men or swimwear. As for trips you can swim with dolphins on the nearby island of Cozumel, or there's the Xel Ha eco park, Chichen Itza etc. We booked with the rep, but there's plenty of agencies there to book with.
In case you haven't seen them we have reviews (none recent) HERE. If anyone recently returned would like to add their review please do so via that link :tup
If you enjoy the sea I'd recommend the Fat Cat trip. A catamaran takes you out to sea and you get some swimming and snorkling time (equipment provided). There is also snacks and drinks included in the price. We had a ball, swimming, sunbathing and taking turns in a 'drag net' that you were pulled in behind the boat. The typical Caribbean music also plays in the background. A great, fun day out if siteseeing is not your thing.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.