Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
The last time I was in Malta I spoke to the M.P. for Valetta, and he said, "In Europe they drive on the right, in England you drive on the left. In Malta we drive in the shade."

That day we saw three really bad accidents on the way back to Bugibba, and I think the man was right. Lining the roads won't make any difference to the way they drive, just a guide to let them know what time it is.

:lol: :lol:
For anyone thinking of driving in Malta here are the basic rules....

Driving in the Maltese Islands -

New Guidelines issued by the Malta Tourism Authority in preparation for Malta's entry to the European Union!

*Always look right and left before proceeding through a green light.Traffic lights are relativley still new on the Islands.

*When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow for oncoming traffic to pass.

*Never, ever stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.

*The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see.Grab it.

*Learn to swerve abruptly. Malta is the home of slalom driving, thanks to the General Police Headquarters Registry of Motor Vehicles and Works Department of the Ministry for the Enviorment which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes and panel beaters and vulcanizers in business!

*Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive body work.

*Always look both ways when running a red light.

*Honk your horn the instant the light changes as you do in any other case. NO horn NO VRT!

*Breakdown lanes are not for breaking down, but for speeding, especially during rush hours. Breakdown lanes may also end without warning causing traffic jams as people merge back in.

*Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only warn other drivers to speed up and not let you in.

*Making eye contact revokes your right of way.

Please drive carefully and avoid driving in the sun at all cost especially in the searing heat of summer!
Love it :D Especially

*Never, ever stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.

So very true as it a nightmare to cross a road in Malta even on a zebra crossing.
Many thanks! Bloody good advice.

However I guess I must have missed the break down lane? Where is it :?
Hi folks,

I hired a car in Feb this year and had the shock of my life in St Julians when the guy in front ignored a red light and then the guy behind me started sounding his horn to make me do the same so that he could cross. I reckon somebody ought to send them some copies of our highway code or perhaps check drivers out for colour blindness!!!

Watch out for speed cameras if your driving. It seems that Malta has latched onto this form of revenue and I've been told that not only will you be fined but your licence will be endorsed and this action will be honoured back in the UK!

Trev
Have a laugh at this then....

Malta and Gozo Speed limits on country roads is 40mph (64kph) Speed limits in built up areas is 24mph (40kph) A seat belt must be worn at all times.

Tell it to the Maltese :rofl
For the more serious reader/driver here is a link to the official online Maltese Highway Code...

http://www.doi.gov.mt/EN/archive/HighwaycodeEng/HCfrombutton.asp
A speed camera has recently been installed near "Beachaven" on the coast road from St. Paul's Bay leading up towards Mellieha. Be careful :!: it is in the exact spot where you accelerate to get up the Xemxija hill
  • Edited by ingliza 2005-05-11 14:33:38
I think I should forget to come back.
Went in Nov/Dec last year.
Went in March and got back 2 weeks ago.
Going again on 10th May (next month)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.