Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
roda
10 Posts
hi welcome have you read the members hotel reports for corfu yet

wizard
Hi just got back from the alexandros. Had a wonderful time. The apartments are ok - nothing special, but comfortable and cleaned regularly. The great thing is the pool/pool bar. It's run by a couple called angelo and anna, and is such a friendly place - good company, good/cheap food, right next to a wondefull pool. Not crowded and no problem getting sunbeds. Angelo keeps the bar open until there's no one left to serve too! The apartments are litterally a 5min walk to the town and beach, where there's lots of bars/restaurants etc - all quite cheap.
anything else I can tell you, just let me know...

kev
Hi
just got back from the Alexandros appartments Roda so would love to give you a few tips. First off had a wicked time & hope you will enjoy it as much. As the previous person said, the appartments are very basic but on holiday you do not tend to be in them only to sleep so they are adequate. They are cleaned regularly by a lady called Christina who is lovely and trustworthy ( we left all valuables in our room ). The pool is massive and again plenty of sunloungers so no need to leave the towels out early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The couple who run the pool bar are lovely. I need to mention at this point that the pool is a public pool so people who stay in nearby appartments with no pool can use the one at the Alexandros as long as they purchase food & drink from the bar there. This means you are NOT allowed to consume your own food & drink at the pool area ( even if you are staying there), not even water. Apparently this is a Greek law!!!!!!!! So be warned you will pay 1 Euro for 500mls of bottled water when you can buy 9 litres at the local supermarket for 1.50 Euro!!!!!!!!! But your on holiday so money is not meant to be thought about. Roda itself is lovely, not a huge resort but big enough. Locals very friendly and you are not dragged in of the street to buy stuff etc like other resorts. If you are there for the Greek cuisine I can highly recommend 3 resturants...... Aphrodite, Opa and our favourite Odysseus. There is plenty of places offering English dishes too. In general food & drink is cheap out there & very very good. If you are looking for a little night life two bars I can recommend are firstly Bennys, run by an English family from Coventry who will make you feel so welcome, they have something on there nightly from quizes to live musician. The second is the Mistral which is more or less a Karaoke bar but good fun. Only found 1 disco there " the drunken sailor". I am only 34 but I felt very old in there so only went once!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you fly first choice from stanstead the flights are early a.m so means you have to out of your appartment 12 pm & you do not get picked up until 02.45 am ( they never tell you this in the brouchure!!!!!!) but you can hold on to your room till 8pm ( ask the cleaner christina) for 25 euros. Ok on a very final note the mossie's are rampant out there. I have never seen so many people bitten wherever I been before so if I can suggest anything brings loads & loads of repellant for nightime. Ok this I have rabbited on enough!!!!!! Have a great holiday, its a lovely place, hope you enjoy it as much as we did & if I missed out anything (hardly!!!)please feel free to ask,
all the best
Sharon :lol:
Roda is a lovely little resort. Very typically Greek in atmosphere. Quite often in the evenings you will find greek dancers performing in the streets, so you get a 'free' show. Roda itself is kind of triangular in shape.....three main roads that sort of form a triangle.

Roda has a lovely beach and a good selection of Bars, Shops and Restuarants.

The only drawback I found was the Mosquitoes......they were out in abundance. Especially during the evenings and during the night. It is possible to buy repellents etc in resort, but if you have your own, best to pack it. They were a blooming nuisance. I awoke one morning and my face was covered in bites.

But this would not put me off returning to Roda.
Roda is fine and friendly but in my opinion, very, very British! Lots of British type pubs and British restaurants. There is even a shop on the main road between Roda and Acharavi that sells tinned fray bentos pies, heinz beans, HP sauce etc!!! There are lots of Brits there running businesses. If you're looking for a more 'Greek' experience then Corfu in general and Roda specifically, is not the Island to find it.

Having said all of that, both Roda and Corfu are lovely places. The beach is clean and there is plenty of sand. We were there the first week of the season one year and watched the sand being delivered by many massive trucks. The cost of a sunbed and umbrella is a bit steep but apart from that drinks and food prices are very reasonable. The sea appears to be clean and is quite shallow for a long way out and therefore suitable for children.

Most nightlife centres on the bars and despite regulations stating that they are supposed to turn down the music at 11pm we found that that depended upon whether the police were patrolling or not. There is a nightclub at the crossroads where the main road meets the road down to the beach. It's not a party resort....thank goodness.

Our favourite restaurant was the Odysseus, which does serve some truly lovely Greek food and I would recommend it's Meze one evening. Bet you can't eat it all! If you like fresh fish then the Dolphin which is right on the beach is good.

For trips I recommend the travel agent that stands at the top of the inverted triangle of roads, very close to where you are staying. We have booked many trips with them over the years and they have always been good value for money. My only proviso regarding boat trips is don't book with Cap'n George. The boat is small, invariably full and therefore uncomfortable, and not too pleasant. Book with someone who leaves from Kassiopi instead. It's only 20 minutes down the road and so just as convenient.

Kassiopi is a lovely place to visit as is Rhodes Town. I also recommend doing the Parga/Paxos trip. A long day, exhausting but well worth it. A tip for the water park in Acharavi if you're thinking of going. If you book with an agent in Roda, you get free transport to the park thrown in for the same price as a ticket purchased at the entrance. Saves the taxi fare.

For lunches when at the beach, go to the Korner snack bar. Freshly prepared sandwiches, rolls, pizza etc etc at reasonable prices and lovely friendly staff too.
Thinking of travelling to Roda in June staying at the Silver Beach Hotel. Could any one with any info about hotel prices of food or drink please get in touch. This will be our first time in Corfu so any info would be welcome. Have looked at hotel reports on this site which most people give it a good right up.

Thanks again for a wonderful site have been using it for a few years now.

Tom
We used the Silver Beach one year (I think it was two years ago) to store our cases before an evening flight, courtesy of a couple we had met who were staying there. I was shocked at how small the rooms were, how old the fixtures and fittings were, how poor the standard of decor was, how dirty it appeared and how it was considered to be a three star hotel! Unless they say they have done a refurbishment in the last couple of years, I would book another hotel. I notice that those who have rated the hotel on trip advisor don't speak every highly of the place either!
We have now booked for Silver Beach Hotel in Roda and was just wondering if any body could tell me are there many atm's in Roda as we have a Nationwide Debit Card and that means we are not charged for lifting money out of the atm's.
Going in 10 weeks for a week can't wait.

Tom
PLEASE refer to this thread for the link to the ATM finder

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.