France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Ouch! This is a difficult one!

Best thing I can suggest is to type into a search engine 'Autoroutes Francais aires de service' and see what you get. There will be NOTHING off the motorway - our supermarkets/petrol stations do NOT stay open 24/24 as in the UK. You might also try ' Autoroutes L'Arche Total Restaurants' and see if anything comes up. Bonne chance!
My experience is that theire are some 24/7 petrol stations but they are automatic and only take French Credit cards outside of normal hours. having never bought motorway petrol over there I don't know about those stations but I would imagine that some must stay open.
Can't help but most Autoroute service arires have 24hour service
do you want a copy of the Autoroute pushpin set of where the services are to help you plan your journey

BUT please be aware if the service is UNMANNED then UK chip and Pin card may not work as we use version 2 and some French shops haven't updated yet
Many thanks for replies.

madcaravanner - yes please, any info on Autoroute Pushpin (?) welcome as I don't know what it is.

We do have French cards but they are newly issued ones and not sure if they work until activated in France.

Can't say I am that keen on overnight drive but we only have 4 days this time. Next time I am determined to stay a bit longer. Hubby's work always gets in the way - such a bother. :D

Cic
Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:33 pm Post subject:
Many thanks for replies.

madcaravanner - yes please, any info on Autoroute Pushpin (?) welcome as I don't know what it is

If you have Microsoft Autoroute I have a pushpin set to show where the aires are
Have looked around but don't have Autoroute program on PC. I suppose it has to be paid for before downloading so will see how much it is.

Cic
I am not sure if this site may give you the info you require. I do not speak enough French to find my way round all of this site but there seems to be a lot of info on the motorway. Hope this helps.

[code]http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.php?lng=2[/code]

John
Hi all,

Thanks for replies. We are hopefully sorted now. Mappy has a search facility for service stations near cities and it also gives the 24 hour ones.

Cic
Great! Now have a safe journey and don't forget to stop and take a breather when you feel you'd like one and not soldier on to the next service station!! Have a great holiday.
Thanks Alsa.

I am sure we will have a nice time. All alone, after the mayhem of our house. I have 4 adults here all the time and 8 people every other weekend. Att our age, it will be so nice just to be the 2 of us for a few days. Hubby is going to fit satellite dish and re-line chimney so we can get woodburner going properly and I shall probably be painting doors and shutters (weather permitting).

Cic
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.