France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Have a look here pirate>

John

http://www.mappy.com/

** Edit to fix broken link. luci HT Mod **
hey thanks thats just wot im looking for.and easy to bonus
also being i havent been to carnac since i was about 10.has anyone been recently been,especially to the les menhirs campsite.i would be eager to hear from you.my wife and our 3 girls usually go on a package deal to spain.and it usually turns into a nightmare.and 1 of my best holiday memories were of brittany! hopeing its stiil as good as i remember!! also has any 1 surfd in that area! ive heard that quiberon is good many thanks again.
We were at Les Menhirs last summer with our girls who were then 2 1/2 and nearly 6 and we all loved it. My only critisism is that the baby pool was disgusting by the late afternoon with a mixture of dirt and suncream.
The area is fantastic and the site is only 5 minutes walk from the centre of Carnac Plage and there is a big supermarket 5 minutes walk away too. We walked down to the beach about 7 o'clock several evenings as it was still very warm and it's only a couple of minutes walk. Make sure you take your girls to Igloo in the centre - it's an ice cream shop which sells 150 flavours. There are lots of cycle hire shops around and a family we got friendly with hired bikes and cycled everywhere.
We were there at the end of June/beginning of July and on the whole the weather was great. We had one very overcast day so we headed to the aquarium at Vannes. If you decide to go there and have a roofbox, take it off before you go as most of the car parks have 1.85m height barriers which are too low for a roof box to get under (I know, I've tried!). The old port area in Auray is worth a visit but parking in Auray is a nightmare.
thanks elaine it does sound good.did you drive down from roscoff? or from another port? and how long did that take you? were the beaches clean? weve booked a caravan through keycamp.was there children entertainment in the evenings? thanks for the answers and your time.
We drove from Zeebrugge in Belgium, breaking the journey for an overnight at Houlgate in Normandy. It sounds like a long drive but we're near Glasgow and it was preferable to get the ferry from Rosyth (50 minutes from here and drive the European motorways rather than battle down the M6.
The beaches around Carnac are spotless. The best beach we found was just outside Carnac driving towards La Trinite. I think it is called something like Mens and it has a small island that can be accessed at low tide.
We were with Eurocamp which is a sister company of Keycamp (we're going with Keycamp this summer) and the daytime kids clubs are run together. Our older daughter really enjoyed them. The mornings tended to be based on board games, crafts, treasure hunts, face painting etc and the afternoons were more sporty. The campsite runs an evening entertainment program which we didn't bother with. We were there at the time of the World Cup so many of the evenings they were showing football. The evenings when the football wasn't on were a variety of different things which weren't specifically geared at children but neither were they unsuitable.
You mentioned surfing in your first post. One thing I remember the campsite doing as part of their daytime entertainment was sea kayaking. Not as exciting as surfing, but perhaps an option.
thankyou elaine, for your answers and your time replying.sounds good,, were starting to look forward to next week now.i will have to keep looking for more info for the surfing beaches,thanks again.
Glad to be of assistance. If I remember anything else I'll post this week.
hello again! can you tell me if the men have to wear speedos in the campsite pools in les menhirs? my wifes been told that the men have to,shes been having a good laugh at the thought of that 1.Also whats the best way of carrying money,can you pay in supermarkets and restuarants with an english credit card? we will take some cash and travellers cheques. many thanks again.
The law in France is that only Speedos can be worn. A lot of Brits ignore it though and I'm not sure how widely it is enforced. There are signs up telling you not to wear them though.
We have used our Royal Bank of Scotland Mastercard in France for the last 6 years with no problems. It sometimes takes a few minutes for the transaction to process but it's not a problem except at unmanned petrol stations where you can't use UK cards. We tend to take £150 worth of Euros with us to buy coffees etc and that lasts us for about 10 days and we then top up from an ATM.
thanks again elaine.you have been very helpfull.
No problem.
I've just been on a website to try to find the name of the beach that I mentioned and it reminded me that there is a show on the grass behind the Tourist info in Carnac Plage at teatime on a Tuesday. We went one night and it was mime artists that were on. If you go into Carnac Plage you're probably best walking as parking is a nightmare (I wouldn't fancy being there in the height of season when the population grows from 3000 to 60000).
The beach is called Men Du by the way.
Like me, you were probably there as a child in the days when you could still climb on the standing stones. They are now almost all fenced off to protect them but you can still see them.
thanks we will look out for it.im sure my girls would like that! as for the beach you mentioned would that be sign posted from carnac? we do like a good beach.hoping the weather will get better doesnt look good at the moment!! you said you went to the aquarium,what did you think of the place overall,did you children enjoy it? might need somewhere to go if the weather stays like this.as for the stones my mums got pictures of us climbing on them.old holiday photos.ther was one taken somewhere nearby in a field of sun flowers that were almost twice the size of us.cant wait to smell the fresh bread in the morning the i willl no im there.
To get to Men Du, go straight ahead when you come out the campsite and go down to the main road. Turn left and drive past the Super-U supermarket and keep going. The beach is beside the road.
Our girls loved the aquarium (and it has the inevitable clownfish). I don't know how old your girls are but when we arrived they suggested that we abandon our buggy and borrow one of the highchairs on wheels that they lend out so that little ones are at eye level with the tanks. You can buy a joint ticket for the aquarium and the butterfly kingdon next door. Don't go to the butterfly kingdom on its own as it's not worth the money but for the extra few Euros it's worth combining with the aquarium.
my girls are 2,4,6 so that sounds good.did you drive to quiberon when you were there? ive heard it gets busy on certain days.thats where the surfing beaches are located! i would be interested if you have any info about the area.Also can you remember if there was a street market in or around carnac? many thanks
We did drive to Quiberon and at the beginning of July the traffic wasn't too bad. The road down the peninsula is single lane each way and at the end of July and August is apparently a nightmare. There is a train that runs down the peninsula in a bid to reduce the traffic. We did Le Petit Train at Quiberon and it was worth doing to see La Cote Sauvage. Quiberon also has a lovely beach right in the town centre and the girls had a play on it until we were rained off and completely soaked.
There is quite a big market in Carnac (not Carnac Plage) a couple of days a week. It sells all the usual food plus clothes, shoes, and nic-nacs. We also found an artists' market in the centre of Carnac one evening
Hi,

I have been to Quiberon in high season (mid August) and can vouch for the traffic queues - although if you turn off onto the winding road that hugs the west coast of the peninsula it isn't as bad. The beaches on the west coast of the Quiberon peninsula are spectacular especially when the waves are up. the town itself is quite lively for Britttny and is worth a visit.

The other surfing beaches in the area are Guidel further to the west

Cheers
can you tell me how long it takes to drive from carnac to quiberon,on average? it dosn't look that far on the map! thanks
It's not far. I think it was about half an hour.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.