Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
I don't think this is such a problem in Rhodes, i have seen rose sellers but never 'rolex' or cds/dvds. The rose sellers i've seen don't seem too bothered if you don't buy, i think they half expect it and the only other sales people i've seen are the deaf/dumb (or at least pretending to be!) guys that will put a card on your table with a selection of lighters, etc., they leave them on the table a few minutes and then go around collecting them again - annoying sometimes but no pressure to buy.
Hello

It is hurrendous in Pefkos this year, they were in the bars every five minutes with roses and helium balloons for the children. It was driving us mad in the end, every few minutes we were saying no. Hopefully the bar owners will cotton on soon and they might stop them coming in and selling them as it was frustrating many customers.
two short phreases

Ohi EfharistO = no thank you

if this dosn't work try

fIyle = go away

wizard
Or do the Greek thing - jerk your chin up and click your tongue slightly on the back of your teeth - means "no"! (and you don't need to remember any words!)
They are not Greek anyway, they are more like Malaysian or something like that
you mean albanian?
No. they are not Albanian, they are definitely not from Europe, they are from the Far East
oh right.. never seen them when I last went (Oct). All I noticed in comparison with previous visits the number of russian employees at the airport and albanian waiters in Lindos. But I have not seen any malaysians
Yes, there are alot of Albanians working in the restaurants in Lindos. We have noticed this over the past few years.
When I was in Crete a few years ago, the lighter people came round and I asked the barman if they were genuine disabled, deaf etc, and he assured me that they are, and it's a way for them to earn a little money.

The lighter wasn't bad either! Worked very well until I stopped smoking!
they are mostli gipsis. Specially the ones with the balloons and the roses.
HI :)

I have also bought a few things off sellers such as the ornamental lighters and have the one in shape of guitar which works really well :!:
We have seen similar ones in this country now and they are more expensive than out in Greece 8)

One other thing about Rolex watches, my other half bought a copy last year in Corfu from a shop, we knew it wasn't the real thing but it appealed. Unfortunately it stopped working as we came back through customs but we took it to our local town and watchmaker and had a new movement put in for the cost of £20. It now works a treat and it really looks like the real thing as we have seen authentic ones in shops around the town. :lol:
The deaf people selling stuff that I have seen in and around Ixia are genuine as far as I can tell. I can 'sign' and have communicated with them, and have seen them out and about signing to each other so I doubt it is an act. The stuff that they sell is cheap and cheerful as well, so its not exactly like you are going to get ripped off for a lot of money if you do buy something and have doubts. My sister who is deaf is out in Zante at the moment. I will ask for her opinion on the Zante ones when she gets back.
The deaf people selling lighters etc. are 99% genuine. they should have a card on display which is a permit for them to do this. The stuff they sell is usually ok and while you might pay a little more, remember that you are helping them to earn a living. The welfare state in Greece doesn't pay much so every little helps.
The stuff is quite funky as well, we got a lighter that shoots 2 flames, just for the novelty value as we don't smoke.
Yeah, the guy we bought from had little cards printed in several languages, advising of his disability and that it was to supplement his income, and give him a little emplyment.
In our experience all of the young men selling the lighters and little gadgets in and around the Bars are genuinely disabled. Most of them seem very nice and not too pushy at all.
One nice thing they seem to do is to avoid placing their wares directly in front of any children you may have with you, they all seem to place them in front of any adults siting at the tables. They have a small card with them which explains that they are deaf and that the bits and pieces they are selling are priced at 4euros each.
One tip; if you do like one of their lighters etc, make it clear you want a new one in a wrapper. Most of the ones they place on the table have been played with and used so much that they tend to have very little gas left in them. The sellers are normally happy to supply one fresh from their bags as long as you try to make yourself understood.
the balloon sellers are a different group altogether. Mostly Gypsies, they will for obvious reasons target children directly. Once a child has had a balloon placed directly into their hand it's very difficult to get them to return it, an obvious sales technique and very effective.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.