General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Oh one more thing i had in my head that travelling east would be best? would anyone say that flying west would be better?
I'd go west rather than East asd personally it suits my body clock better and you are gaining time rather than losing it.

Have you considered Fiji as a stopover. Air NZ are a fab airline for RTW trips and you can't go far wrong with them.

Personally I'd do San Fran EASILY over LA - one of my favourite cities in the world, whilst LA is a soul-less hole IMHO. Auckland rather than Sydney too. Not much between HK and Singapore, although Singapore has Raffles, shopping is better in HK.............

Lucky you - what a fab trip
Thanks for your thoughts i think id also prefer San Fran to LA although Vancouver is also a possiblity!

I think id still prefer Hong Kong but like you say the shopping is supposed to be better in singapore anf the fiance is partial to a few shops - or hundred! And singapores Changi airport is supposed to be excellant.

Im open to suggestions for the south pacific - but this is the main part of the honeymoon - the other places are just en-route and so whilst the planes are stopping there you may as well get a few nights in!.

As long as we are somewhere secluded in the S.Pacific i dont really mind -somewhere with an over water bungalow and excellant snorkelling are a must.
Hong Kong V Singapore
that is an ongoing debate. I have been to both twice. Difficult to say but I think my favourite is Singapore. Have a look ( and post) in the Far East forum for further help. I'd also post specific questions on the America forum. Your post shows on the Other Destination forum anyway but no harm in posting additional questions there!!
Ah! Tahiti sounds nice, but it sends shudders through me... it's brings a new meaning to the word expensive. Have you priced the over water bungalows? you best sit down first and pass the smelling salts.
If you find Tahiti out of your reach financially, you might like to consider the Cook Islands (They call it the poor man's Tahiti) maybe combine it with Aitutaki which is a 40 minute hop from Rarotonga. Air New Zealand fly from Auckland to Rarotonga. There is also a flight from Raro to LAX. There are a few lovely places on Rarotonga and Aitutaki for a honeymoon. They have over water fales/bungalows in Aitutaki. http://www.aitutakilagoonresort.com/
Have a great time planning your honeymoon.
Cheers Gerry
Thanks for all the help guys, I have done a "dummy quote" for the first iteniary (Hong Kong - Auckland - Moorea - LA) which i mentioned which was financially viable but it included The Moorea Pearl Beach & Spa Resort not bora bora. We both feel that its worth paying the bit extra to stay were we want as the chances are we wont be going back any time soon. Although we couldnt and woulnt stretch to the £350 - £400 per night per person hotels.

I have looked at Aitutaki and it looks lovely and it is most definitly an option.

I found this website a great help http://www.roundtheworldflights.com/search.aspx
it has a search facility where you put in the destinations and it comes back with a list of ticket options for RTW flights.

Does anyone have any comments on Air New Zealand? I haven't found many airlines that beat Thai or Malaysian airlines.

Thanks again guys!
I would post a query about Air New Zealand on the flights forum. You should get answers there :D
We flew with AirNZ in June from Melbourne to Rarotonga via Auckland and found them very good apart from the food which comes in a picnic box and not a lot of it. We ended up with a pie for a meal (cut backs) They also tend to play around with their schedules a lot. This meant after we had paid and booked our accommodation, we had to either extend our holiday by 2 extra days or cut it short 2 days, we chose the 1st option which meant we had to overnight in Auckland twice . Air New Zealand paid for the hotel near the airport.
You can pre allocate your seats on AirNZ which is great but if you book the seats at the exit door be warned that the emergency shoot actually cuts into the space of the person who has the window seat. My 6'2" husband had less leg room than everybody else. Fortunately, they upgraded the man sat next to me and so we were able to move across.
Cheers Gerry
Just a warning about Fiji - since the coup in December, the FCO are advising against all but essential travel.

CLICK HERE
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.