America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
route 66
7 Posts
No idea to be honest but make sure you allow some time in Albuquerque (and Santa Fe/Taos) if you can. The strip of Route 66 through Albuquerque is great and well worth spending some time wandering around (Route 66 Diner yum yum) but away from that Sandia Peak is a must see and make sure you take the cable car up to the top for breathtaking views. Albuquerque is big city for New Mexico but in terms of USA it is tiny so everything is very laid back and manageable.

Santa Fe is very arty, as is Taos but you are close to Bandelier National Monument in Santa Fe (outstanding) and the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge has to be seen to be believed from all angles.
you can get a book from Amazon called the Mother Road, it has some real off the beaten track items. Also if you go through Tulsa OK be sure to check out the new memorial park
Planning on doing this next year.
Is Historic Route 66 easy to drive along? When Billy Connolly did it, it looked like there wasnt that much traffic around. Just a bit concerened about driving in the cities we will pass through.
Any advice will be greatly accepted.
thanks.
Cazz
I know that the Billy C show was edited but it did look as if large bits of the route were now bypassed by the big interstate motorways and so it gets little traffic. I have driven around one or two American cities and as long as you take your time and have someone spotting the street names there is no problem. If you are staying over in a city it is often better to park the car and take the bus or mass transit system which are invariably so much better, cleaner, cheaper and easier to understand than the ones in the UK.
Thanks, I've read that the old route sometimes runs parallel to the new interstate.

I wasnt planning on driving round the cities, just parking up at the hotel then doing what you said.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.