Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi chick. The three hotels are all in a line along the same stretch of beach, the mambo being at one end and the Bachata at the other with the Merengue in the middle. The distance between all three hotels isn't far at all and you can walk along the beach to find your preferred spot. The mambo pool is the smallest (but pretty big in itself, it's divided into two) and most peaceful with the Merengue being the busiest and noisiest. This is where the activities with the animation team take place e.g. water polo, poolside club dances etc. We spent most of our pool time at the Bachata as it was large with a swim-up bar and some loungers built in to the shallow part of the pool. It's years since we were there but if nothing much has changed, you'll have a fab time. It's one of the best holidays we've had.
Hi, it doesn't really matter which hotel, but as the earlier post mentioned, the Merengue is the busiest, which is the one we stayed in and loved every minute. And also mentioned, its lovely walking to the other hotels right on the beachfront. You will love this Riu complex. Enjoy.
Hi

We have stayed at both hotels and as said above both are lovely and you can use all the three hotel's facilities, i.e. pools bars etc. The only thing they ask is that you have your evening meal in the hotel you are staying at

You will have a great time

Sue
Thanks :) .....I have just read on trip advisor that the Mambo has actually closed down !!!! Does anyone know if this is true? I have not heard anything from Thomson regarding this, surely they should inform customers.
Hi Chick

Not sure if its true to be honest but there have been some bad reviews just lately about the Mambo. I did read somewhere that just recently a couple were staying there and in the second week the Mambo did shut down and they had to use the facilities at the Merengue. Also they were letting in around a 1000 locals at the weekend, some behaving quite badly. It's such a shame as the place is so lovely and the people that work there are so nice and work extremely hard.

If I was you I would give Thomson a ring to know for certain.

Sue
I've just re-read your original post Chick and I'm a bit confused. You said you'd booked for July but that Thomson told you, you could be in either hotel. Didn't you request a specific one? I know you're allowed the use of all the facilities but when we booked we did have to specify which hotel we'd be staying at. After all, the prices for all 3 hotels are different- at least they used to be.

If you've specifically booked the Mambo, then most definitely you should be informed if it's closed down and I'd say that even if you've booked one of the others they should still inform you that you'll no longer be able to use the facilities of the mambo.
Your right Shirley we have stayed at both but each time had to state which one.

The only think I can think of is that the Mambo has been having more problems than the other two and I might be wrong, but I think it shut down last year for 6 months, so maybe Thomson's were just covering themselves if the same thing happened again. Sounds daft I know

Sue
Thomson advertise as Riu Mambo/Merengue, you find out which one on arrival. I did request Mambo however after the reports I read have been into my local Thomson shop and told them to change this. They knew nothing of the closure of the Mambo and are looking into this and will get back to me on Monday.
We went before the Bachata was built and didnt know which hotel we would be staying in until we got on the coach from the airport where a member of staff came round and gave us our wristbands.
We were pleased we were at the Merangue as the Mambo pool was closed and people we spoke to said it wasnt so good as the Merangue.
This was in May 2000 and we had a brilliant holiday.No locals at all but I can imagine how bad it gets as we have had the influx of locals on a weekend in Tunisia.
I do think the Bachata looks the best but since I was there things will have changed.
The only thing I dont like the look of at the Bachata is the rooms, where the others are set out in blocks of 8, the Bachata is more like barracks, but I am sure they are nice inside as everything else is really lovely.

Sue
Thomson have confirmed the Mambo has definately closed and we will be staying at the Merengue with use of the Bachata. Feel a little disappointed but theres nothing we can do as Thomson don't think the closure of the Mambo affects our holiday. Does anyone know if the Merengue or Bachata have a beach bar?. I know the Mambo had one but not sure about the other 2. :cheers
Hi Chick

We loved the Merengue dont worry. You can still use all the beach by the Mambo,they did have a beach bar, but not sure it will be open unless they use staff from the other two hotels. The Bachata has a lovely swim up bar you can use. Look on the bright side with the Mambo shut there will be less people so more room for you.

Honestly the Merengue is just as nice to stay in and the people are lovely, hope you have a lovely time.

Sue
I know this is a fairly old post, but we were at the Mambo in March this year. It closes down in June until November every year as this is the low season and there aren't enough guests to occupy 3 hotels so they just use the Bachata and Merengue. I believe the Mambo bars and pools are still open, but the accommodation, restaurant, and entertainment are not available during that period.

Keith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.