Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
saga holidays
7 Posts
sorry to say they keep sending me their literature but when i comparer the prices they are always expensive

wizard
I met two Saga reps in Crete, who were filling in time working locally until their contracts started in September. They couldn't have been nicer people - very normal (ie not empty-headed blonde stick insects - sorry ladies) and down to earth with plenty of local knowledge (which gave me a lovely day out in an unspoilt village in the interior with NO tourists!).

They told me that Saga tours usually involved them staying in the same hotel as the clients and often eating with them so they would be available for advice and assistance 24/24.

In my book, that is SERVICE as seems to be lacking with a lot of tour companies quoted on this site. This obviously has to be built into the holiday cost, but if you are getting a superior product with plenty of hands-on local help, it might be worth paying for. In fact, based on these two friendly individuals, I am looking forward to the time when I also qualify to go on a Saga holiday!
Like all companies they are not perfect. I was on holiday with another operator and Saga were picking up from the airport at the same time. They managed to leave one distressed elderly lady at the airport.

My dad has used them a couple of times on holidays to Thailand - but then he is in his eighties. They are expensive but if you want a bit of hand holding then maybe its worth paying for. Can't see me wanting when I hit my fifties in a few years time.
Heven't been on a Saga holiday because a) they are too expensive for compared with other tour operators and b) they only seem to go to mediocre hotels.
It depends where you go with Saga, I usually travel DIY but have taken two tours with Saga, one to China and one to Vietnam, though expensive they were well worth the money. In China we did a Yangtze cruise plus a few days in Beijing. The cruise boat was an excellent 4* and the hotel in Beijing was the 5* Shangri-la. The tour was well organised and the ages of my fellow travellers ranged from early 50's to early 80's. The Vietnam tour used excellent 4* hotels and was a superb tour.
I have only used Saga for long haul tours, I often travel alone and sometimes organizing travel to a new country with a real language barrier (i.e. China) is more than I want to do so Saga have fitted the bill twice for me.
I think if I only wanted a beach holiday and I couldn't arrange it myself I would probably book with another travel company as I feel Saga's expertise is more in the tours branch of travel.
We have done tours with Saga and Titan. Our first Saga tour was Canada and the Rockies with an Alaska cruise add on. It was absolutely brilliant. Our next Saga tour was so bad we wont be doing another one with them. This was called Eastern Explorer (USA) and it is no longer listed after just one season. We recieved compensation but it dos'nt make up for a holiday planned so badly. Our Titan holiday was also excellent and we will use them again. So it appears to be pot luck!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.