America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
In all honesty - fly!

I've driven from Vegas to SF, but broke the trip up by staying overnight in South Lake Tahoe and then dropped down into Yosemite for another night before going on up to San Fran. It's a hell of a drive in one go and if you're pushed for time it makes sense to fly, it's fairly cheap and quick!

Cheers,

TC
I think TeeCee is right... you might as well fly if you are only driving as a means to get from point A to point B. On the other hand, if the drive is part of the whole experience, then by all means do it. I haven't done that specific route before but I've done SF to LA and LA to Vegas.

The route you suggested sounds about right. Fortunately, I-5 has a 70mph speed limit for most of the way which helps to cut down the time a bit (I think your 8.5 hour estimate is too high... I reckon you could easily shave an hour off that if you are prepared to speed a bit). Mind you, I guess you would make at least a few brief stops as well.

I am very familiar with I5 as I live in LA and commute north to the Monterey area periodically. Let me know if you have any questions (and TeeCee, as TeeCee has actually done the specific route you have in mind).
We did that journey in 2004. Picked the car up from the Dollar depot on O'Farrell in downtown San Francisco and headed over the Bay Bridge and all the way to Vegas.

Think it took 8 hrs. We left at 9am (not the best time) and arrived roughly around 5pm.

We stopped twice on the way but not for any longer than 15mins each time.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, I actually enjoyed the journey. Sure it is quicker to fly but you have to allow time to get to the airport, check in, security which is a nightmare etc etc

If getting behind a car and do some driving is something you really want to do in the US then I say go for it.

If you decice to fly, Southwest have just returned to San Francisco International and do direct flights to Vegas which take 90mins. You can get some real bargains if you book early enough.

Whichever you decide, have fun!
I have driven from Vegas to San Fran a few times...in one day

My favourite route is to leave early ..drive down to Shoshone and thru Death Valley on US 178 then 190...up US 395 thru Bishop then cross Yosemite at Tioga pass (I hate Interstates) and besides... you can go faster on quiet desert roads anyway!!!!

Its a longish drive but you can still take plenty of short photo stops etc

I always say if you can drive it in a day then drive it...usually by the time you have got to an airport, faffed around at check in, waited ...and waited...had your delays and then get stuck at airport at other end most of your day is usually gone..at least driving you see a lot and can stop at your own pace

Death Valley is quite a spectacular drive...but then so is Tioga pass. You go from -282 feet at Badwater basint to 9980 ft at tioga pass all in one day

If you enjoy driving I would recommend it. The empty open roads are a real pleasure. In a convertible of course too
true, it's a great drive....but, a word of warning, depending on when you go, bear in mind that a lot of the passes in and out of Yosemite are closed because of snow through winter. As I mentioned in another post, I went to Vegas in early May (temps of 104 degrees) and drove up the east side of Yosemite and every single pass was closed for snow and we drove through a blizzard - in shorts and a t-shirt! :lol:
Just something to consider 8)

TC
Cheers guys, we have found flights for £70 each with united so have decided to fly.
Thanks for all your help J..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.