America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
a) I don't have any specific recommendations but 100 GBP a night is approx. $200 and you might be able to get two completely separate hotel rooms for that price. Of course, we'd be talking about budget hotels, e.g. Motel 6.

b) It is drivable in 1 day but that depends on how much driving you want to do. I would say it's about 8 to 10 hours (8 hrs if traffic is good but it would depend on which part of LV you are coming from and which part of SF you are going to) from Vegas to SF. Since you say want to allow 3 nights to do the trip, it would be a few hours driving per day. I don't know if you already have a route planned out but the quickest route is to go I-15 (south) to H-58 (west) to I-5 (north) to I-580 (west) to I-80 (west) to H-101 (north), where I = Interstate and H = Highway.

In terms of stop off points, you could really do this trip in 2 nights instead of 1 with less than 5 hours driving per day. Also, the route from LV to SF really doesn't have many scenic or significant (in terms of being historic or famous) stops that I can think of. In fact, if it was me, I would take the extra day to see Yosemite which is kind of on the way but you would need to deviate a bit. I think you can't go to California for any length of time and not see Yosemite. The views are among the most spectacular in the world and would be worth the entire trip alone, in my opinion.

If you wanted to take in Yosemite, you could deviate by taking this route from Vegas to SF: I-15 (south) to H-58 (west) to H-99 (north) to H-41 (north) which goes into Yosemite National Park. Also, there may be better stop-off points on H-99 because it goes through Bakersfield and Fresno. Personally, with this route, the first night I would drive from, say, LV to Bakersfield which is about 4 and a half hours. The second day, I would drive from Bakersfield to Oakhurst, which is basically a gateway to Yosemite and is about a 2 and a half hour drive. If you did that in the morning you would be able to check into a hotel in Oakhurst (there are a lot of hotels there) and drive into Yosemite that afternoon. You could then return to your Oakhurst hotel room that night. The third day you could drive from Oakhurst to SF, which is about 3 and a half hours.

That would spread out the driving time quite considerably, although it's only 2 nights (but 3 days) and not the 3 nights you mentioned. However, if by the time you get to Yosemite you are tired of driving, you could always spend 2 nights in Oakhurst and take the fourth day to drive to SF.

c) It should be accepted but, when you pick up the rental car, ask for a disabled badge. You might want to call the rental company ahead of time to ask about this because I don't know if they usually carry them and you would probably need proof that you are eligible for it. But the one you already have should be okay.

d) Big Sur.... terrific views and it's right on Highway 1 on the coast. There are a number of hotels. If you like log cabins, try Ripplewood Resort (Google it). However, since this going to be a romantic week, may I recommend the Post Ranch Inn, which is technically in Big Sur but it's quite a bit further south than most of the town. It has ocean views and the hotel is perched right on the cliff. They offer a number of different types of accommodation but I don't think they are cheap (but no expense spared, right?!). Google "ripplewood resort big sur" and you should find their website.

e) I don't know, sorry.

f) I would buy a guide book of each city and do the tour yourself. It might take longer but it would be cheaper and you get to see everything that YOU want to see, not just want the tour takes you to.
I'm reading this topic with interest as we're considering doing a similar trip in the foreseeable future.

grayejectbutton, what a comprehensive and excellent reply :tup
Mark :D
you could stay in santa monica in a suite hotel. do a google search.going from san fran to la you could stop at the fogcatcher inn or moonstone landings for the night in cambria. take a look at tripadvisor for reviews.there are suite hotels in anaheim near to la if thats any good.
I'm doing a very similar journey too, except my bf and I are doing a loop, starting in SF (3 days), Big Sur, Hierst Castle etc. (2 days, 1 night) - want to also stay in gorgeous cabin) - LA (3 days)- San Diego (2 days taking in Tijuana) - Grand Canyon (2 days) - LV (5 days), Yosemite (2 days, 1 night), death valley - Lake tahoe then back to SF via napa valley stopping over at some hot spring or another. Is this do-able in 3 weeks???
Well thank you for the brilliant response. I never thought of mentioning it to the car hire company, sometimes it takes somebody else to help you see the obvious when you get bogged down. (thanks).

am researching your suggestions now. My mother-in-law is coming tomorrow as she has a full california map and that will help plot the trip better. We had thought that from our sketchy map that we would drive from Vegas through Death Valley then on to Bishop then Mono Lake then head towards Sonora. We definitely want to do the Yosemite trip, but what I dont understand is that you mention driving through and returning to your hotel at Bakersfield, I had thought it was a place to drive through to get to the other end. In that case it would be better to be based there for a few days as you suggest. Can you just clarify my misunderstanding of the Yosemite National Park.

I would have liked to also have fitted in Lake Tahoe, it looks wonderful,but feel the detour from Yosemite to San Fran may take too much time.
Actually, I said you would return to your hotel in Oakhurst... Bakersfield would be a few hours away! A long way back! Mariposa is another town that is close to Yosemite and that also has hotels (it's quite close to Oakhurst so you should be able to find it on the map).

You can drive through Yosemite but you don't have to (it's easy to go back the way you came). The couple of times I have been we didn't drive all the way through. It's a big place, probably bigger than most people realize, so we took a couple of days to do it. Also, if you drive through it, there are only a few points you can exit from and they may not go in the direction you want to go. The park does have a west entrance (the entrance you would take on the route I suggest would be from the south) but, for us, that would have taken us too far afield.

Lake Tahoe is very nice and Yosemite would be the closest place to it (if you did go to Yosemite) out of all your destinations. Some might say you should ditch LA and do Lake Tahoe instead. :) I know some people don't have a very high opinion of LA! But it is worth seeing, especially on a first trip. What you could do is to take less time on Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). You said before that you were allowing a week to travel down there from SF. However, it is drivable in 1 day, not a 1 week (albeit, a very long drive and not one I would really want to do all in 1 day). You could consider taking a couple of days off that to allow time for Lake Tahoe. The only problem is, you would be headed away from Lake Tahoe and it would be a massive detour to go to a place that is terrific, but perhaps not quite a "must see" location... unless there is a way you can trim time off the front part of your Pacific Coast Highway trip, but that might be difficult as your timetable is partially dictated by your son's flight time.
Thanks for your suggestions. what do you think about travelling from LV through Death Valley, Bishop, Mammouth Lakes, Tioga Pass to see Yosemite.I agree I think Yosemite should not be missed. (As we are travelling from LA to LV on the I15, I didn't want to go back on this route). If this is an option, where would you put the 3 nights for onward journey to San Fran? For example June Lak

It is difficult to know without experience what the driving will be like say through Death Valley and the Tioga Pass? Any thoughts, you have been so very helpful. I've got a map now in front of me which helps!
I've never taken the route you suggest, and presumably you are thinking of driving through Death Valley National Park. I think it would be a good experience but my instinct tells me it will take just as long as taking I-15. Mind you, you would avoid I-5, which personally I think it one of the most boring interstates I've ever been on. The only saving grace is that large stretches of it have a 70mph speed limit instead of the usual 65mph!

If you take plenty of water, you should be fine going through Death Valley. I can't say for sure that the route you mentioned is well travelled but I'm sure it is reasonably so. I would consider buying a pay-as-you-go cell phone whilst here in the US and before you go through Death Valley. One can never be too careful! You could get a cell phone for less than $30 I would think (it's been a while since I checked the prices).

I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the 3 nights for an onward journey to San Francisco. Could you re-phrase it?

In addition to your map, it might be a good idea to check out Google Maps, MapQuest, etc. That will give you a good idea of the distance between locations and the length of time it will take to get from one place to another.
What I mean to say is that I have allowed three nights between LV and SF fitting in Yosemite on the way. Hope that clarifies. Thanks again
sorry I can't help but just wanted to say- I'm really looking forward to hearing about this trip :D
Ah okay, I understand. Like I said, I haven't been through Death Valley National Park (it isn't even THAT far from me so I have no good excuses! :oops: ) so I don't know exactly how long the trip would take going that way. My instinct tells me that avoiding it would be preferable with such a narrow time frame involved (3 nights/4 days) and taking the fastest route possible to Yosemite. However, perhaps someone who has taken that route could offer their opinion because your proposed route might indeed be the quickest, I just don't know. In terms of miles, your route looks quicker, but I suspect you would be traveling at slower speeds some of the time.

You know what? What the heck...maybe you should just go for it and go through Death Valley National Park as you suggested. It could be a once in a lifetime vacation! I would just leave fairly early in the morning to maximize your traveling time and be sure to take supplies with you. It's highly unlikely your car would breakdown (especially a rental, they tend to be well maintained) but with such hot weather in the summer, it's best to be prepared. Take a lot of water, including water for the car in case it needs it, and I'd buy a pay-as-you-go cell phone. I bet the views are spectacular going through Death Valley. I've driven to LV before (I live in LA) but never been in Death Valley National Park. It's on my "to do" list!
Now grayejectbutton, you should go through Death Valley yourself as it is on your list - as I suspect your "to do" list will just get longer and longer! Not to sound too maudling but you never know what's round the corner.

I mentioned earlier about accommodation on the pacific coast, well as I have been researching, it may be better to have the remainder of the week's journey more based in LA for our onward flight from LA Airport. (stopping of couple of nights on the coast on the way down from SF). Give us more time for a proper chill out. As you live in the area, do you know of any reasonably priced hotels/apartments on the coast within an hour (or two perhaps) say of the Airport. As you know I have this image of being in accommodation on a cliff side, with access to a beach....
I live further to the North, near the San Gabriel mountains, so I am less familiar with the beaches and coastal areas. LA is okay but I wouldn't spend more than a few days here. It's very much a "working" city and not as glamorous and some people might think.

Because I live in the area (or there abouts), I don't tend to have a need for hotels so I'm afraid I can't offer many recommendations. However, I have been to the Doubletree Hotel in San Pedro, which is a very nice hotel and it's by the harbor. I believe Doubletree is owned by Hilton. They have a website at:

http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=LGBSPDT

I'm not sure what their rates are... probably not cheap, being by the harbor, but it might be worth inquiring anyway.

San Pedro is pretty close to LAX, which is another reason why I mentioned it. It's also close to Long Beach, which where the Queen Mary ship is (though I haven't been to seen it).

The only thing about the hotel I mentioned is that it's by the harbor...which is nice but I doubt that means there are beaches too close by. However, as I say, San Pedro is close to many other ocean-side cities. Santa Monica would be worth seeing. It's a bit of a drive but not too bad from San Pedro.

What kind of interests do you have? Perhaps I would know of some locations that would match your tastes that you could visit when you are down in the LA area.
Hi again,

We will be doing the "hollywood" thing with my son for the first 4 days of the trip, ie. tour of movie star homes and the walk of fame. On the return leg of the journey ie. the week without our son from SF to LA, we are looking for more a quiet, chill out time (other than stopping at towns on the way down), accommodation overlooking the beach - sitting on a balcony looking out to sea, what could be better. Bliss
Have you considered going to any of the theme parks in the LA area? There are a number in the area, including Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, and Raging Waters.
Theme Parks now are unfortunately, a definite no-no. My mobility is a problem and I do not want to go in a wheelchair. Sitting on a balcony overlooking a beach is my idea of heaven now.

Oh, I have just booked our flights today to LA, so come what may, we are definitely going on 16 July - not long now. Have managed to get the bulk head seat both ways so I can stretch my legs. Flying with American Airlines, never been with them before. Hope they are okay (too late now, of course!).
What about Universal Studios? They do have rides but the best part is just the atmosphere and going on the back lot tour. Still, I guess if you didn't go on any of the rides you would be missing out a bit (but not as much as with other theme parks).

I've never flown with American Airlines either but my parents have and they said they were good. My experience has usually been that the US airlines have better customer service and the people are friendlier but I always felt you got better food on British airlines!
You'll find American Airlines discussion HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
girlie

I am surprised that you have been able to book bulkhead seats if you have limited mobility as, if they are emergency exits seats, you have to be able and willing to operate the emergency exits should the need arise. Perhaps the seats you have booked are not emergency exit seats.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.