Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Santorini
6 Posts
Have a look at these resort reports http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/resort_review_details.php?resort=Kamari%20-%20Santorini
Of course you also have Perissa, which we weren't so keen on, & Thira - a beautiful place for a day trip, but slightly too expensive for us when we went. Good luck with your search.
All sorts of people come here, we stayed in Perissa and really enjoyed it. You've got Episkopi village for historical ruins, there is also the trip across the bay to the caldera(volcano) and you must visit the village of Oia. All buses go to the capital Thira. A hotel for you to check out is Smragdi Village, i'm not sure who they are through at the moment.

Les
Hi
we got a late deal in august 09 to santorini, and ended up in perissa, we stayed at a hotel called Gardenia. Rooms were fine and the pool was probably the biggest in the resort. Perissa is about a 3/4 mile long both on the top and beach roads. There are loads of bars and tavernas so possibly not the place to go if you're looking for a quiet village type holiday. beach is black sand and the sea has a rock not sand base to go into. We have a 15 yr old boy and there is a reasonable amount to do. The resort is split with couples , families and loads of back packers.There looks to be loads to see on the island Oia , Thira etc and around perissa.Don't know why but we found it very cheap compared to other islands. We could not unfortunatley get about as my son was recovering from a serious knee operation so we stayed in the resort.I would defnitely return to perissa although Thom Cook have withdrawn our flights from newcastle so may well be a while.
My advice would be dont bother,we went August-Sep 2009 and stayed in Perivolos, 1km from Perrisa.
Our party of eight include 2 x 15yr old girls and 2 x under 8's

The teenagers were bored throughout the 2 weeks, the sea front bars cater mainly for 18-30yr olds

The place is barren and the nearest shop/supermarket for provisions was a taxi ride away (although this was free)

We found the bars very expensive on the sea front. There were 2 bars in Perrisa that were OK but were the usual Karaoke rubbish.

If you want a good resort and value for money try the MYTHOS apartments TIGAKI, KOS.

Prior to Santorini we had been there for 2 years running, you cannot fault the place and staff

Hope this helps
Santorini is a stunning island, but if you are looking for golden sandy beaches, you won't find there there. The two main beach resorts are Kamari (pebbley and Perissa/Perviolas sp? which are black sand/shingle. The water is beautiful and clear.

With a teenager, I'd say Kamari might be the best resort for you, but you can get a water taxi to Perissa during the day. Kamari is much bigger than Perissa with a large selection of restaurants, bars and shops.

Lots to see around the island, and it would be great to hire a car for a day or two. Fira (the capital) is nice for an evening, just bear in mind it is more expensive to eat/drink than Kamari.

Would you consider island hopping? Naxos is lovely (and has great beaches) a two hour ferry journey. You could also go to Paros.

We spent 1 night in Fira, then got the Blue Star ferry to Naxos, where we spent 7 nights, and then got the ferry back to Santorini for 6 nights.

We would definately return. Hopefully to spend 6 nights in Paros, 4 nights in Naxos and 3 nights in Santorini.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.