Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Santorini
7 Posts
Oh that's so disappointing for you. Hopefully they'll get back to work soon and you can be on your way. It's a shame you weren't told before hand as you could have avoided that journey.
Oh no - how awful! Good luck - hope you get there soon!
Just back from 18 nights island hopping around the Cyclades and Santorini did not fail to impress. The delayed Easyjet flight was a complete shambles. People who received notification of the delay and phoned to confirm were told to ignore the message as the flight was now on time. We arrived back at Gatwick at 5pm for the revised departure of 18.30 as advised. The flight was boarded and ready to go and the captain announced that we didn't actually have a slot. We sat on the tarmac for 2.5hrs. and eventually arrived at Nomikos Villas, Santorini at 03.00 local time, shattered! The best Easyjet could do was 1 free non alcoholic drink and that was only permitted after the captain contacted 'the office'. Anyone who did not ask for food vouchers at the airport were not given them. The initial problem (Greek strike) was not Easyjets fault but when things go wrong they are terrible. The Greek ferry system is really amazing, it appears chaotic but all our connections were pretty much on time despite the fierce Meltemi wind causing docking problems. This was our first time in the Cyclades for 10 years and it has changed. Very few Brits around and many menus now also printed in French. We used to eat fish quite a lot but at an average price of 55/60e per kilo we dont now. In Naoussa on Paros the price was generally 75e per kilo, crazy. Time to start thinking about where next in Greece, have always fancied Kythira, not mentioned often on here but will post when decisions are made.
RDV pleased you enjoyed your jaunt around. we had a month taking in Santorini, Karpathos and Crete. I agree with you entirely about the ferry service but it worked like clockwork. we also had a five hour flight delay coming home with Easyjet but the issue was with the airport staff at heraklion who didn't seem able to cope. We were readily given meal vouchers and the flight itself was absolutely fine. look forward to more 'reports' on this forum. :sun2
Greekofile,
I followed your arrangements earlier in the year when you were assisted by Livingingreece with a trip to Karpathos. How did the island live up to your expectations? I had doubts about Santorini having read all the superlatives regarding the views of the caldera but it really is amazing. We spent so much time on our balcony watching the cruise ships which are dwarfed by the surroundings, they look like toys. We did the boat trip to the volcano with lunch on Thirassia then to Oia. Its a long way to the top especially in the heat, my wife took the donkey. Despite things we had read the donkeys all appeared to be in very good condition both in Oia and Fira. Some were as big as large horses and easily able to cope with very large people mostly off certain cruise ships.
RDV we statyed in Amoopi down by the beach. it was a pretty and peaceful area however we were warned by the hotelier and his family that the peak season is frantic with Austrians, Italians and Scandanavians. The island itself is one not to be missed, in my opinion, and the people were amazingly friendly and generous just like when we first started going to Greece years and years ago. the tourist market doesn't attract that many Brits. and when we arrived everyone seemed to know we were coming. Those who live there are extremely fortunate. well worth a visit. we were told that the easiest way is to fly to Rhodes then an internal flight which costs 60-80 euros return.
I'd say give it a go and you shouldn't be disappointed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.