Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I don't think there's any legal requirement for them to give you extra legroom seating just because of your height. They provide seating within CAA rules and I guess if you can't fit in a certain seat comfotably then it's not really their problem - you make the booking knowing the conditions on board.

I know scheduled airlines do whatever they can to help taller people. My husband runs a basketball team and I once travelled to the US with of the players who was 6'10 and United gave us emergency exits seats as did Virgin with a 6'8 player. That same player though got no special treament on a recent ryanair flight - he said his knees were around his ears!

i guess you do the best you can by booking the extra legroom seating.
sorry to be sort of repetitive but my boyfriend is 6ft 2 and has long legs and will need leg room when flying but im only dinky so wont need it, but hes never flown before and is scared of flying so i want to be next to him to keep him calm, i dont think it would be fair to reserve a seat that could be of use to someone much needier so is there any way round this? on my recent flight from tenerife there was a row opposite the entrance to the plane that had 2seats with leg room then the 3rd seat was further back so it was in line with the row behind it, this meant the seat had legroom and the seats next to it were normally positioned from the ones in front, this would be ideal for us as i wouldnt be taking up a seat for no reason and he would get legroom and comfort about flying is this available on every flight?
I think the seat you mean is in row 13.I have sat in this row before and is fine for legs room but freezing as you get the draught from the door(Honestly).On our return flight from Turkey last month I was sitting in 13F and a man was going mad because someone was sitting in 13A who had paid for a leg room seat.He was very tall and had 2 metal plates in his leg and therefore couldnt bend it.He said Thomas Cook had promised him this seat.I think the staff at Dalaman airport had changed the seats at checkin.I think you may have to pay for this seat depending on your airline as they are not prebookable on Thomas Cook flights,its just pot luck if they are available.
Why don't you ask for aisle seats then you will be able to stretch abit more when no-one's walking about or just pay the extra.My husband is tall too and he likes more room whereas Im not but we still pay it for his peace of mind and comfort during the flight.
We have booked extra leg room seats on our Thomas Cook flight to Turkey for the benefit of my other half. Im not fussed where we sit as long as i can look out of the window.

Someone has just informed me that because we are next to the exit we have no window (as its futher forward on the emergancy door) is this true?

Kate :)
Hi
we flew back from Bulgaria on a thomsonfly i think 747/200 and had row 32 the wing exit seats miles of room and a small window too.

brian
we have flown to lanzarote and back twice now and both times requested extra legroom. Our seats where 12/13 or 13/14 cant really remember. Had loads of space for legroom but no window as seated at the exit. Had to keep looking over my shoulder to look out the people behind us window
I have just booked extra leg room seats with Thomsons, we've been given seats 12 b&c on the way out and 12 d&e on the way in.
Does anyone know if these are at an exit and whether we get a window. Apparantly seat 12a isn't an extra leg room seat.
My mother is elderley and suffers from bad arthritis in both her knees which makes flying really uncomfortable in the cramped seats you encounter on flights these days, she normally flies to malaga which is only a couple of hours but now that would be too uncomfortable, shes heard about booking seats with extra leg room though on 757,s there never seems any room to me, has anyone actually booked extra leg room seats on these flights and how much actual room do you get extra? Was it more comfortable during the flight?

Many Thanks.
Colin phone the customer services of the airline you are travelling with,NOT the company ,and explain her situation and they will try and allocate her a suitable seat.She wont be able to sit near an exit as you have to be 100%fit to occupy these seats.She souldnt have to pay and may even be given assistance to board the plane.Jay.
Many Thanks for that Jay never thought about the fitness angle sitting next to the exit doors will phone like you suggest.
Hi there,

I dont suppose anyone has any contact details for Onur Air si i can contact them with regards to this as they do not let you pre book and i am 6ft 5" and really struggle in normal seats, i am willing to pay & normally pre book when i have travelled with other airlines & cant understand why this airline doesnt allow it - crazy eh!!

Thanks in advance,
BigG2.....
We want to do long haul to florida but the thought of 30" seat pitch is putting me off, until someone told me about premium seating with up to 38" pitch Has anyone done this or knows which airline is best
I was thinking of BA but they dont have a direct flight from manchester
and I wont go from any london airport
I will thank you now for any information
Shirley
bonniecharlie

Most of the main charter airlines to Orlando Sanford offer a standard economy seat pitch of 33" (Thomsonfly, First Choice and Thomas Cook Airlines, Monarch)

They also offer premium cabin upgrades with Thomsonfly offering 37", First Choice 36", Thomas Cook and Monarch 34/35".

Virgin Atlantic offer 32" in Economy and 38" in Premium Economy but you will be looking at a really high supplement for it.

British Airways also offer and upgrade called world traveller plus which is 37", again a much higher supplement than the charter carriers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.