Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Seville
14 Posts
Hi Dave ... while you wait for some feedback here in City Breaks, it may be worth checking out the SEVILLE topic in our Spain (Other Costas & Inland Areas) forum. That topic hasn't been active for a few months but if you want to repeat your enquiry there, you may catch the attention of any members who are subscribed to it.

David :wave
As David says, all your questions re places to visit etc will probably be answered in the Seville thread he gives you the link to but as regards to your question about transport from the airport then it really depends on where you are staying and how many of you there are. Taxi fares from the airport into the city are regulated and based on fixed prices depending on your destination (apart from during the Feria in early April when all rules tend to go out of the window!). In April 2008 the regulated fare into the city centre was approx 23Euros so if there are only two of you then it can work out a bit expensive unless you are staying in the Santa Cruz area in which case you really are best off getting a taxi. Santa Cruz is the oldest most picturesque part of the city and most of the streets are either impossibly narrow and/or pedestrianised and it's worth paying the taxi fare to capitalise on the taxi driver's knowledge to drop you off at the closest point to your hotel/apartment. You'll have along walk with luggage from where the buses into the city stop otherwise.

I was last there with 2 friends, staying in Santa Cruz, in April 2008 and to be honest we found that if we needed to get to/from anywhere that wasn't within a stroll of our apartment (eg the rail station which is out of the city centre) that it was easiest to get a taxi and we found that it wasn't that expensive - certainly cheaper for the distance than we would pay here and hence worth it for the convenience. During the Feria they are allowed to charge a 50% supplement and late at night when taxis are much in demand they will add this supplement but we found during the day that if you negotiated in advance before getting in that they'd usually drop the supplement rather than lose the fare. But you do need to agree this beforehand - if you just jump in and tell them your destination then they'll always add the supplement on top of the metered fare.

SM
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS - you've picked a lovely destination.

Secondly, AIRPORT TRANSFERS - have a look at the Seville Airport website, where you might find details of how to get to the hotel or city centre from the airport, or details of what you might expect the taxi fare to be.

Thirdly, THINGS TO SEE - first of all, try the Tourist Information website. But do consider - the cathedral, the Alcazar, the gardens of the Alhambra, the Church of the Macarena, the Old Quarter (Santa Cruz), the old roman ruins outside the city, the Giralda tower amongst others, and just wander around the old town and get nicely lost! Recommended are Churros and Chocolate (extruded long doughnuts, deep-fried, and dipped in a hot choc sauce), Tortilla (spanish potato omelette), cold dry Fino sherry - preferably with salted almonds, and plenty of the local wines!!

Prices go up wildly in the SEMANA SANTA (the week containing Good Friday) and the FERIA (Horseriders with traditional costumes) and it is BAKING HOT IN SUMMER. Please don't underestimate the heat as Seville is usually the hottest place in Spain, so drink lots of water and cover up against sunburn!!

But have a wonderful time and enjoy yourself!
Thank you for your replys, we are going mid October so have plenty of time to sort things out, have picked out two hotels both in the city centre. Both about the same price range, will have a look at the site David has put up and also go to the tourist site, been to the local Library and got some Guide books, so will be looking at all the good places to visit.
Once again thanks for your replys,
Dave.
Might it be worth posting the names of the two hotels you are considering, as members may well have been to them and might have useful information to help you with making your decision?
Well the two hotels are.
Hotel Petit Palace Canalejas 2*
Hotel Best Western Cervantes 4*

They are both about 10 to 15 minutes walk the main sites Alcazar/Cathedral so this should give a good chance to look for Tapas bars and restaurants on the way in to the sites and also a good look round the city as well.
Dave.
Hello, we have now booked our hotel and it not far from the Alameda de Hercules, that seems to have a lot of Bars and Restaurants has anybody been to this area for a night out? if so is it safe at night? and can you tell me of any good bars/restaurants to try?
Thanks,
Dave.
Hi,

The Alameda de Hercules area is a great place to base yourself - which hotel have you booked? It's not the Corregidor is it by any chance?

I've travelled to Seville on my own and had no worries about walking around the Alameda de Hercules. It's very much a studenty area - lots of bars and restaurants - and has been the subject of quite a bit of gentrification in recent years. I would think you'd be perfectly safe walking around at night and I wouldn't worry. Seville has the advantage of being quite a compact city, all the main visitor sights, shopping areas and the Santa Cruz area are within strolling distance. As with any city you should avoid taking needless risks but it's not a dangerous city.

I'm afraid that I can't remember the names but there are 2 really good tapas bars actually on the A de H on the left hand side as you walk up from the city centre end but you probably can't go far wrong with any of them. If you want a blow out, up market meal then there is a lovely restaurant in a patio just off the Calle de Genova across from the Cathedral. And in the Santa Cruz area there a number of tapas bars and restaurants in the plaza by the church of Santa Maria Blanca that are all good.

If I can help with any other info let me know.

SM
Thank you SM, that was what I was looking for, been looking at the Google Earth site to try and find my way round city there is sure a lot to see there.
Thank again,
Dave.
Hello me again, has any body been on the river trip in seville is it any good and what do you get to see?
also what are the horse drawn carriage rides like?

Thanks,
Dave.
I would just like to say we had a great time in Seville.
Hi- glad you had a good time- was there lots to see/do? Seville has been on my wish list for a few years now, but keep getting distracted by other places! Did you find it a relaxing place (thinking Rome/ Venice with lots of pleasant squares/cafes) or was it hectic (e.g. tramping the streets of Florence!)?
kate
Seville is one of my favourite cities and I'm pleased to hear the you enjoyed your visit. What did you get up to?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.