Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Seychelles
19 Posts
Hello!

My friend stayed for 7nights at the Banyan Tree Resort in May this year. She booked into a Hillside villa and had the time of her life! In fact while she was there she was offered a special rate for a return visit so she booked it then and there and then announced that she had booked for me aswell! So i am off to the Banyan tree for a week in October. She didnt mention any creepy crawlies. I will tell you all about my stay when i get back at the end of October.

Hope this helps a little bit,

LimeLolly.
limelolly, that would be good to hear about your visit when you return. Do you know if the hillside rooms were quite dark with being surrounded by trees? Did they get the sun or mostly in the shade. That might be a deciding factor for me as I like to sit out on my balcony in the sun, also were the balconies a good size? Did your friend manage to see the villas down nearer the beach, if so, was it worth paying the extra for them? Sorry about all these questions, hope you don't mind? Any info is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Maryjo. :?:
Hello, has anyone ever been to the Seychelles who can give me some information on areas, hotels, things to do, travel companies etc!
Thanks in advance!
I spent 2 weeks in Mahe,Seychelles a few years ago and whilst it is a very pretty place I really think it is overated.The hotels when I was there were not up to the standard of other exotic destinations.The locals are very abrupt and seem pre occupied with politics.I personally would not go back if offered the chance free.I much prefered Mexico and the Dominican Republic.I am sorry to be so negative but it costs more to go there than most other destinations.Hopefully someone who has been more recently may advise otherwise.
I visited last year and have an entirely different view to Jay.
We did a 3 centre holiday (Seychelles, Mauritius and Dubai) as our friends were getting married in Mauritius and i loved the Seychelles :D .

The natural beauty of the Seychelles is absolutely stunning - Jurassic Park meets the Bounty advert! It's definitely one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. Ok Mauritius and Dubai offered better hotels and more facilities but i don't think they can compete with the scenery and beaches of the Seychelles.

We also stayed on Mahe though we did visit La Digue and Praslin and i have to say if i was to return i'd probably stay on Praslin as it had the most fabulous beach (Anse Lazio - i think?) and the forest of Coco de Mer which many locals say was the original garden of Eden.

Our hotel (Plantation Club) was a bit dated and there are better, new hotels in the Seychelles but i have to disagree with the comment on the locals from my experience. The staff at our hotel were lovely, friendly people that couldn't do enough for you.

The only slight downside, as i was travelling with friends, was the lack of nightlife but if i was looking for a romantic getaway i would go back to the Seychelles in a heartbeat!
We are off to the Seychelles in 2 weeks time. i went to my local banks to get my currency but when they tried to check the excchange rate it just kept coming up as N/A. She assumed that meant that they were unable to get it (Seychelles Rupee). now I have seen on another site about US dollars and euros taken. I'm not sure what to do now. Has anyone from the UK been recently who can advise me on what I should take with me/ thanks in advance.
You need to take either Euros or Dollars with you. Dollars are the much better currency to take as, for example, the bike hire place next to our hotel was either $10 or 10 euros per bike, obviously with the exchange rate difference it was much cheaper to pay dollars, most hotels do however have the correct exchange rate! All major credit cards are widely accepted. We used cards and we also got local currency out of the cash point machines which we also used. The people in the Seychelles prefer dollars as it is more useful to them. Friends we met exchanged dollars for local currency with some local men and got an excellent exchange rate, however I believe it is illegal to do this.
It is illegal to exchange currency with locale people but we did it secretly :twisted: . We got much better rate than in the bank. There is really no point of changing much because you can spend it mainly only in the local shops or restaurants. If I remember correctly we changed around thousand rupees and we still have few hundred left (well, you are not suppose to take their currency out of Seychelles but what were we suppose to do? If you do not have a receipt from local bank that you changed the money there, they will not change it for you).
In the hotel they expect you to pay the final bill in US dollars, Euros or GBP. Even if you go to any trips the price will be usually quoted in US dollars.
Hello,

I have been in the Seychelles in 2003 (wedding) and 2004 (anniversary). The first time we had absolutely lovely time (not just because of the wedding). We stayed at Sunset Beach Hotel in Junior Suite which was very nice and private and had the best views of a sunset!! We did few trips around Mahe - the island is very green and there is loads of beautiful beaches. In 2004 we stayed on Praslin and had a day trip to La Digue. I personally did not really like Praslin - apart from Anse Lazio. La Digue was very basic island with wonderfull scenery! The beaches were deserted. If you like snorkling = you would love it there.
I personally think that Seychelles are a nice destination but, as the first person said, it is a little bit overrated. For wedding it is a perfect destination - it is romantic!!! But on our second visit we thought that we just didn't get the service which we expected.
Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. I have just got all my currency in US dollars and the rate is quite good. I got $1.79. Cannot wait to go now. 8 more nights till we go! We have been trying to decide which excursions to do. We will probably do a couple and spend the rest of the time "chilling out". Cheers
When we stayed on Mahe we did a day trip to Moyenne Island. It is owned by a british guy who lives there with 150 tortoises. The trip was USD 90 per person (three years ago) and included all tranfers, lunch and a trip on a boat with glass bottom and snorkling trip (which we didn't do - instead we walked around the whole island). We really enjoed it. I wanted to go there mainly to see tortoises living in a natural environment.
We went to Seychelles in September 2004 and I also found it a bit overrated and very expensive although we expected that. Yes, some of the beaches were nice and of course there is nowhere that has the scenery and beaches of La Digue. Also had some good diving with White Tip Divers on Praslin, lovely group and good fun.

Personally we love the beaches of the Maldives for complete relaxation or if you want a bit more to do, Mauritius is excellent. Lots to see and do from the beaches, to the mountains, tea plantations etc. etc. etc. They also have a waterpark to entertain you or the children. Also very reasonable over there. We paid £25 for a whole day out in a taxi which took us all over the island. Also only paid about £25 per person for a full day out on a boat with all drinks and lunch included and it was a fantastic day. There is also good shopping to be had in the new waterfront development at Port Louis.

Have been to the Maldives 4 times and want to go back again, we have been to Mauritius twice and would not hesitate going back there, dont think we would bother with the Seychelles again unless it was a free holiday.
Anyone else of to seychelles this summer- i cant wait we booked the banyan tree for 10 nights am very excited and would love to hear from people who've been to this hotel too as i couldnt find a review for it....i am hoping this site will keep me going till july.
anyone know what the weather will be like?

shyam-
Hi Shyam

Seychelles are beautiful and the Banayan Tree....WOW!!!
We have never stayed there but on our last trip to the Seychelles in 2004 we went to have a look arount Banayan Tree and it is really a WOW!!!!! We went to see one of the hillside villas and when they opened the villa door, quiet music started playing in the backround.
The spa looks very inviting and they had a shop where you can buy massage oils and other 'nice smelly' stuff :D

This hotel is quite far from anything so you might need to rent a car if you want to see other parts of Mahe. We hired a taxi with driver for 100 USD for the whole day.

I can't really tell you about the weather in July because both time we went in November and both times we were very lucky because it was suppose to be rainy season and we had only few showers.

Have a great holiday!!!
I visited the Seychelles in July 2005 (Plantation Club, Mahe) and overall the weather was very good though we did see some rain. It was nice and warm, good sunbathing weather most of the time - you'd get the occasional heavy shower and have to dive for cover but it wasn't cold so it was straight back to the lounger when the rain had passed! It's fairly humid compared to europe but not uncomfortably so.

If you have time take the trip to Praslin and La Digue, it's lovely to see the difference in the islands. La Digue had some very nice beaches (one where they filmed the bounty ads) and a really quiet, relaxed atmosphere. Praslin is worth seeing for the amazing forest of coco de mer and the lovely beach at Anse Lazio.

I also visited Mauiritius and Dubai during the same trip and though i have returned to Dubai (mainly for the nightlife and shopping!) nowhere else matched the natural beauty of the Seychelles, it's a very romantic spot.
Wow thats good to hear-we have booked the beahfront room i hope we miss the showers but if its not cold i dont think it'll ruin our time anyway..we ahve been to duabi twice before love it there but wanted soemthing less hectic this time round.. dubai is great but i end up shopping and spending more than i really should.. :)

Is anyone else considering or already booked the seychelles?
We stayed at the Banyan Tree in June in a "pool villa by the rocks". All I can say is that you will not be disappointed! Our villa was amazing and the views were to die for! From your private infinity pool to your sitting area in the villa, and from the bathroom too may I add, the views were the most amazing I have ever seen. The staff treat you like Royalty and you just feel so special. The only downside is that the food was a little expensive but that is to be expected from such a high calibre hotel. We enjoyed Banyan Tree so much that we have booked to go to the Banyan Tree in Phuket in April. You will have an awesome time.
Sorry for the bump of this topic.

I have friends that live in Seychelles (makes for a cheap holiday for me.) anyone thinking of going will love it. I have yet to meet an unfriendly person from there. And the food is lovely. Can't comment on the hotels as I have never stayed in one there. But the beaches around the hotels are first class and I have never seen crystal clear blue water in the sea as I did in Seychelles
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.