Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Remember 40c is in the shade 8)
We went in May/June and it was well over a hundred, it melts your shoes/ sandals, and you will require a very high sun cream.

I hope you have a lovely time :D
I'm going over on the 22nd May! Are you talking in the 100's then?!

My boyfriend is fair - actually ginger (he he!) so he's going to cremate isn't he!! He won't be happy! Oops!
HI,
We went end of May just into June and it was 40`s in day and low 30`s at night. I loved it as it is a dry heat. (but we do like hot) didn`t find it uncomfortable, and we didn`t get hot and sweaty!! (like in around the Med). We are going back to Taba at the same time this year and also to El Gouna in August!! As Derwentrocker says, high factor suncream and drink lots of water. Just get in the shade if it gets too hot there will always be some. I had the best tan ever!

Have a great time, you will love it. We did.
I'm sure I'll be fine! I'll just sent him swimming if he complains too much!! I certainly hope I get a good tan though! Hardly had any when I went on hols last year!!

:(
I am sure you will have a brilliant tan. Have a great time
eiryld,

You'll get a great tan!! I went last year end of May beginning of June and it's was boiling!!! My boyfriends fair too and he got prikly heat in the first few days but was his own fault... as he didnt keep applying the suntan lotion tut tut!!

It'll be very unlikely you wont come back with a tan .. unless your planning on stopping in durnig the day! :D
I must give a lot of you some friendly advise. First of all Sharm has there own sun cream it is in a orange fat bottle, you can buy it everywhere, and can be very high factors. We wore factor 30 for all the two weeks, never get red, never peeled, and had a lovely golden brown tan, which didnt disappear after a few week of coming home. I saw a lot of people buying low factors like 6 or 8. That is a disaster, you wouldnt last five mins in the sun. Low factor sun creams are fine if in the UK and it is not to hot, abroad in the med or anywhere hot, you will need a high factor, it doesnt stop you from going brown, but it would make you go red, peel and have to be out of the sun for a few days whilst everyone else is on the beach. I dont get my cream from the uk, buy theirs, it smells nice, isnt greasy, and it tans instantly....

Reguarding water, in the months from April to september temps will be between roughly 100 degrees to 140 degrees, it is a dry heat, but you must drink all the time water. You will collapse if not, especially if you have children with you. We drank bottles and bottles a day, very cheap. Even eating out in the restaurants at night, it was too hot, if you want air-conditioning sit inside although no one does, al-fresco is best.
Is the sea warm too? I usually find the sea too cold in Europe but when I went to the Carribean, it was lovely and warm. I'm going to Sharm in 8 weeks time and can't wait. Hopefully it's sunny here so I can get a bit of a tan before we go. :lol:
Hi

We too went to Sharm the end of May beginning of June last year and found the weather great. Not sweaty like Katiesmum said as its a dry heat. We went with a 5 year old and one year old and they never found it too hot at all. We used the Pizz buin once a day suntan lotion and never burnt once (some kids and people had very nasty looking blisters from the sun) and our kids wore the UV all in one swimsuits which pretty much cover most of your body and protect them from the sun.

We loved the weather so much we are going to hurghada this July.
Hi, I used factor 44 on Katie, and she had a nice little tan, no red bits despite her spending about 90% of each day in the pool. A little girl that was on our coach same age as Katie (8 at the time) was there with her older sister, father and his girlfriend, she was left to put her own sunlotion on.... after the first day you can imagine what she looked like.she was so burnt. must have gone down about 3 layers of skin on her shoulders, arms and face! she was so brave. It is hot but as its dry I don`t think you realise the exact strength of the sun. I had the best tan I have ever had on any holiday and that was just in a week.
Katies Mum

I have never seen a factor 44 suncream, the ones I see always seem to be 8, 15, 30, 40 etc. Is it a special one that you can get for children, as you said Katie didn't burn I would be very interested in it for my youngest?

I can't beleive anyone would let a young child put there own suncream on :shock: I worry that I have missed bits on the children, its so much harder to put it on yourself.
What sort of temp can you expect at night. I was in Cuba last September and at night time when you where dressed the temp was unbearable. Very sticky. When you say its a dry heat do you mean that it won't be as "sticky".
I was in Sharm for two weeks last year, starting from 28th July.

Night temps were between 25 and 30c :shock:

Stef, the humidity was relatively low, but it did feel quite close in the evening.

Pippy :D
Hi doepsmc, I use Prosport on Katie, it is an 8 hour waterproof sunblock, found out about it on the suncream/sunlotion under General Holiday Tips etc postings. You have to order it on-line can`t buy it in the shops, it is about £13ish a tube. Says you only need to apply it once a day and I do believe you could, but I use it on Katie and am extra cautious and so apply it morning and just after lunch. She also has eczema and it is great, no irritation etc and I feel confident that she is protected.

If you want to know anything else or can`t find it let me know.
I Know what you mean. Even though we use the Piz Buin one a day stuff on the kids we would still use it at least twice a day as we just didn't want them to burn. We didn't burn using it the once and I have fair skin and usually go bright red when first exposed to the sun and I didn't in Egypt so now I won't use anything else.
Kathryn1980 wrote:
Is the sea warm too?

mmmmmmmm Is it just. I've had colder baths :sun
Was there first 2 weeks in July last year with my family. Air temp mid to high 50's most of the fortnight with very little change in the evening temp.

You will all have a ball,
MrsMac
Thanks Katiesmum, I will look out for it.
:oops: sorry folks, realised I took this a bit :offtop
The sea temps are lovely, we often had dips at 8am as the sea was out then, so you didnt hurt our feet on the rocks. Remember your sea shoes, it will be difficult to walk in the water without them. When the tide covers the rocks, it is hard to see them and you can slip.
Hi, Could anyone tell me if it is cheaper to get suntan lotion in sharm? Also what are the prices cause at the moment a few of the shops over here are doing bogoff on sunlotion with a large one factor 25 for about £14
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.