General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I suspect in a word MM........Yes will be the answer ;)

I used to be terrible and then after a shock at Arrecife airport with a huge surcharge incurred I realised that without all the shoes in my case I would have sailed through, underweight no problem. A change was in order and now very succesfully I get away with -

Loafers to travel in

Flip flops for the day + sometimes a pair of good trainers if lots of walking

2 pairs of sandals for in the evening, gold & silver......go with everything :tup
I take 2 evening sandals, black and white pair, to go with my black and white bag. 1 pair of flip flops and 1 pair of day casual sandals.

Its so easy to put loads in the case and I do get tempted, but then think of the charges for being overweight and this makes me put them back :rofl
I'm not in the minority then (well up to now anyway! ;))
I fly in something like a pump or trainer then take 1 pair flip flops, 1 pair crocs for daytime and 1 pair wedges. Sorted.
Hi :wave: Used to take loads when I was younger but have learnt from my mistakes. Now only take 2 pairs flip flops (1 day pair and one a bit nicer so can be worn in evening too), trainers in case we go for a long walk, and 1 pair sandals for evening. So that's 1 pair on feet when travelling plus 3 in the case.
I too, use to take loads when I was younger, but find that when the weather is hot, my feet swell so lots of my shoes are uncomfortable anyway.
I wear a pair of wedges on the plane, take 1 or 2 pairs of flip flops, and another pair of 'dressy' shoes for the evening. I find though, that if we go for a walk after our evening meal, I end up changing back into my flip flops!! Next year I am only taking flip flops with me as any other shoes are a waste of time.......
Denny
I only wore my flip flops and my crocs on my main holiday this year. I travelled in pumps in case of trips that required shoes that will stay on kind of thing. For my gulet holiday as you don't wear shoes I only had the ones I travelled in.
2 pairs. My walking shoes and a pair of pretty sandals that will go with everything. I used to take loads of shoes years ago but lugging heavy cases on and off carousels, taxis, busses, trains etc. got old so I now travel as light as possible. I will take one extra pair of sandals on my trip to Laos next month but only because they are old and I will leave them at one of the hotels for a staff member.
I have cut down on how many pairs of shoes I take on holiday with me. Wear a pair of wedges to travel in, two pairs of kitten heel mules, one silver one gold for daytime. Two pairs of heeled for evening one black and one white to match my handbags.Even then hubby says I take too many. :duh
Ive learnt my lesson now as well so I now just buy/take a couple of new pairs of flaty mules, a more dressy pair of wedge/very small heel sandals , that dont usually get worn and the flip flops I wear during the day. all hubby takes now if its going to be hot are 2 pairs of flipflops. 1 pair for day and 1 pair for evening :)
Travel in trainers which double as my walking shoes and take smart leather flip-flops and and a plain pair that are comfortable enough to walk around in. Not much point taking posh sandals because my feet swell.
I travel in trainers and then 3 pairs packed - usually flip flops.
Me on my last cruise I had 13 pairs of shoes and my friend told everyone at our table. Each evening when I came to dinner it became a joke as to which shoes and bag I had with me, Evening bags to match shoes. I was on another cruise in August this year and I managed to cut it down to 7 but oh I did have withdrawal symptoms when I had to double up some shoes and bags.

Yes I was overweight but I fortunately got away with it. Preparing for another 8 week holiday including a cruise! How am I going to manage for that length of time? Well I still have 7 weeks to work that one out!

Sue
Just took 1 pair of shoes and 1 pair of trainers to Chicago for the week. Oly took the shoes because I had to wear a suit some days!
used to take a few pairs of flip flops to match each bikini and about 6 pairs of shoes/sandals to match evening outfits. Next year I'll be taking 1 pair of flip flops, as that is waht i usually end up just wearing anyway and two pairs of sandals, one for my wedding and another pair to go with my outfits. 15kg luggage allowance also has something to do with it too. :(
This year I took two pairs of flip flops for the day time, a pair of leather flip flops and a pair of wedges for evenings. After years of taking trainers I finally worked out that the only time I wore them was at the airport - going and coming home so I dont bother with them now at all.

In the past, I have taken several different pairs of shoes, boots, sandals and flip flops but only ever wore one or two of them. When it got to the stage that I realised I was only wearing them all throughout the holiday to make a point (that I did wear everything I took), I realised it was stupid and reduced the amount of shoes I packed. Its worth it, cause you can take more clothes instead!

As long as my flip flops are comfy, im happy.

Sarah :)
Flying out this Sunday,cant take all my toiletries in my hand baggage anymore,so Ive put my 6 pairs of shoes in one of the bags,plus I will obviously be wearing a pair to travel in as well,I just love to have a choice,Oh! and I cant resist looking at and buying shoes when Im on holiday as well.Bought 6 pairs of leather sandals in Tunisia last year,well they were a bargain!!.
hya, when I went to spain this summer, I travelled in my trusty crocks, packed 3 pairs of flipflops for day and took a pair of wedgy sandals for night time which were totally redundant, so I am determined that for next holiday, no wedgy sandals, just flippy floppies ! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.