Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
SICILY...?????
8 Posts
Went to Sicily in October 2008 for a week and absolutely loved it. We stayed in Taormina which has some of the best views I have ever seen. Booked a package through Thomsons to the Villa Belvedere Hotel but they do several others. If you look on the Taormina forums on Tripadvisor there is loads of info, and also lots of hotel reviews. Sicily is a large island and although I am sure you can probably DIY cheaper, the airports (Palermo and Catania) are often a long way from where you are staying so we decided on a package the first time. However, it is not cheap to stay there although we found restaurants that were reasonable. The weather in October was lovely as the island is quite a long way south. You cannot possibly do the whole island in one go but I would like to go again later this year and perhaps do the Palermo end and stay in Cefalu. Hope this has been of help. If you have any more questions about Taormina, let me know.
hi librairianne....thanks for reply.....we will go as part of a big party...the dates, flights ect will be arranged by a club....but I still like to do my homework so I can plan.....dont think it will be a sunbathing holiday in nov....been mooching on the net and it says 66f for nov...so looks like light cardigans and then a jacket at night.....I have thought about sicily for a future holiday ,when my youngest no longer wants to do my family hols....so this will be a nice taster.

I've been the greek mainland in nov...and it was still really warm...skimpy tshirt weather...imagined sicily would be same....but sure it was more than 66f
The weather was hotter in October than I thought it would be by the internet temps. The Tripadvisor forums have lots of questions about temperatures so I'm sure you can get some advice there. We were sunbathing every day and this was towards the end of October so you may be pleasantly surprised!
hi librarianne....sounds like could be similar to when we went to greece in nov....it was a lot warmer than I'd expected in the day time ...and was so warm that the lads were in the pool...sounds good to me
There is an old topic on Sicily HERE which may have some info.

luci :wave
thanks luci....will go look...tweetie
Many years ago I did an independent flydrive holiday to Sicily. One of the best holiday locations I've visited.

These websites might get you started:

http://www.enit.it
http://www.sicilyguide.com
http://www.regione.sicilia.it
http://www.sicilytourist.net

I would thoroughly advise car hire if you want to go up Mount Etna - take the route through Nicolosi - to visit the temples of Agrigento and Selinunte, Piazza Armerina for the Roman villa with stunning mosaics and also Erice, a hilltop village above Trapani.

The major airports are Palermo and Catania. Both are international.

There's lots to do and see, and the local CORVO wine in particular (red and white) is delicious. Also don't miss Marsala (sweet dessert wine) and all the local cheeses and fruit (especially prickly pears which, once peeled, are better than their name would imply!).

There are plenty of good beaches.

Sicily IS part of Italy but likes to consider itself as an autonomous and independent region, a bit like Sardinia, Catalunia or the Basque Country. It has its own local language. And yes, the Mafia do exist, but it's nothing like media would like you to think. Best not to mention it and get on with life as usual as the locals do. However, petty crime such as bag-snatching and pickpocketing is just as frequent as in mainland Italy so please be careful how you carry your handbag/put in your pockets. It is still a good idea to hire a safe in your hotel or use their safe deposit facility, and carry the minimum with you and dress down.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.