Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Side - malaria
7 Posts
I posted this on another fourm with a similar question....

Sorry to say but that is utter nonsence !!!! I live here in Antalya (for over 10 years) which is just over 65kms from Side. I have NEVER HEARD of such a warning or problem. Plus I have children...I am sure I certainly would not want to put my kids in any danger if this was the case.

Sorry to be a stickler but here is some interesting information for the CDC.
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationTurkey.aspx

Malaria risk area in Turkey: Risk in the provinces of Adana, Adryaman, Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakar, Elazig, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Icel, Kahraman Maras, Kilis, Mardin, Mus, Osmaniyeh, , Sanliurfa, Siirt, Sirnak, and Van. No risk on the Incirlik U.S. Air Force base and on typical cruise itineraries.

And the REPUBLIC OF TURKEY MINISTRY OF HEALTH
http://www.saglik.gov.tr/EN/BelgeGoster.aspx?17A16AE30572D313AAF6AA849816B2EF49E55A0CB7978C2C

This comes from the Scottish NHS website, but the same information is published by the WHO, the Turkish health authorities, the Australian and Canadian governments, etc. etc.

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/turkey.htm
Risk is exclusively due to benign malaria and occurs from March to November, mainly in the south-eastern part of the country, the Syria and Iraq borders and in Amikova and Cukurova Plain. There is no malaria risk in the main tourist areas in the west and south-west of the country (go to Malaria Map).
I hadn't even given it a second thought but i was told last night by a friend that her practice nurse has recommended she take a course of maleria tablets when she visits Side in July.
It hadn't even occured to me that they may be needed, what does everyone else do? do you take them or just stock up on repellents?

I must admit the idea of us all (19yr and 15yr old daughters) taking them scares me as i have heard horrible reports about the side effects when taking them but at the same time i wouldn't want any of us to get maleria.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Thanks caretta, I thought it was a bit strange. I did some searching on other websites such as WHO, the Foreign Office and a travel clinic and there were no indication of any escalation of malaria risk in Turkey. The only advice given was the usual very low risk in certain areas away from the usual tourist areas, which is the standard advice that has always been there.

I will have to find out where this rumour originated from.
We're off to Turkey in August and I won't be taking anti-malarials. Take a look here
Thanks for that :tup

I see Side is in the light reddish/pink area which says minimal risk, antimalarials not usually advised.

I guess we will be ok then.
I was the one who posted a warning on Malaria in Side .
I post also on Trip Advisor .

Sorry to say but that is utter nonsence !!!! I live here in Antalya (for over 10 years) which is just over 65kms from Side. I have NEVER HEARD of such a warning or problem. Plus I have children...I am sure I certainly would not want to put my kids in any danger if this was the case.

I try to give honest and factual advice . my posting is backed up by facts .
Make up your own mind but at least read my posting before dismissing it .

I know no one who has caught Malaria in Side .
I know no one who takes the tablets
I respect those that live in the area .

But here is the problem .
If you attempt to donate blood in the UK , you are asked if you have been abroad in the past 6 months .
Postive reply , you are asked have you been to a Malaria Zone .
If you say you have been to Turkey , you should be shown a map.
Side is in the red zone and you are then denied the opportunity to donate.

I don't care if caretta thinks its nonsense , the NHBTS makes the rules .

I am just giving you the facts as laid out in the UK.

The Blood transfusion service classifies Side and surrounding area as a Malaria zone.
Don't take my word for it . email them .
I did , and on the 19th of Febuary 2010 this was their reply .

as cut /pasted

Thank you for your enquiry. If you visit either Side or Antalya between
March and November, please allow 6 months from the date of your return
before donating.

There are many on this forum who give great advice on hotels/ weather and attractions . they are not experts on the rules and regs which are used in the UK.

I urge all that plan to argue with me ... don't .
Take up your complaints to those that classify Side which resides in a malaria Zone.

To sum up . I donate before my hols , and i don't take the tablets
You now have the facts.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.