General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I've had American friends who take a medication called Ambien to help them sleep on red-eyed flights, but I would STRONGLY advise against taking medication because if, God forbid, there was an emergency, it might affect your ability to think fast and rationally.
You would also be increasing your risk of DVT due to the lack of mobility during the flight while you're in deeper sleep
When we went to America two years ago my GP gave me two, one for the outbound flight which I never took and then one for the inbound flight which I did take. However all it did was to make me slightly drowsy and I probably got forty winks if that :think With all the noise on the plane and air hostesses up and down, I found it physically impossible to sleep!!
i'm with sunbear on this one.i would be really worried,about DVT,especially on a long haul flight.
tracy
When I flew to Oz I stayed awake till Bangkok. Once I departed from there, I changed my watch to oz time and had a whisky - that helped me sleep the rest of the way :cheers
I'm flying direct to Oz in December.....My plan is to try and stay awake until Hong Kong and then sleep the rest of the way, so that when we arrive in Sydney at 7.20 am, it will seem just like a new day.

I'm normally a night bird and can be up until 3 am with no probs, so if I can 'hold out' for the first 12 hours, I should be desperate for sleep for the 10 hours from HK to Sydney.
Well, that's the plan !

Sanji
Is it an overnight flight to Hong Kong Sanji?
I rarely sleep on economy long haul flights but found in business class I fall asleep much easier.
If you intend to stay awake don't put your seat into the bed position as once your legs are stretched out and the cabin lights are off you may start to feel sleepy. I find that because business seats are so much more comfortable than economy even watching a film sends me off to sleep.

Judith
Is it an overnight flight to Hong Kong Sanji?

Hi Judith
Yes, we depart Heathrow at 9-30pm and it's going to be a long day before we board the flight, but I'm still hoping to stay awake until HK or just snatch little naps, and then get down on the bed from HK to Sydney.

Sanji x
When I flew to Oz I stayed awake till Bangkok. Once I departed from there, I changed my watch to oz time and had a whisky - that helped me sleep the rest of the way

That's the advice ive been given! I'm not keen on taking sleeping tablets really
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.