General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sleeping tips.
15 Posts
Sorry Helen no advice to give on how best to get to sleep as i'm the opposite on holiday its so weird as i'm a very light sleeper at home but nothing can wake me up on holiday :D ,It must be the climate for me lol I can sleep through all the hustle and bustle ,but if I did have trouble sleeping it would be a few too many for me too :) , enjoy your hols anyway :sun2
Hi Helen, at home my sleeping pattern is very erratic and the first day of hols is usually the same, but thereafter I usually sleep really well. I think it must be a release of stress and all that just unwind, I often think that if I had a release valve in my neck, tons of pressure 'steam' would ooze from on after a day or so on hols. :yikes
I haven't been sleeping at all well for the past week and it's all to do with holidays. We're off on Tuesday and I've been waking around 5am most mornings, with my brain going through the list of things to do that day. At 5 this morning I was even trying to think of what I would wear on our first evening :duh I just can't seem to switch off. At 5.30 yesterday morning I was drinking tea in bed, remarking to hubby that it was like xmas morning :D

I'll have lost out on so much sleep by the time we get there that I'll probably have no problems when I'm there. The heat tires me out anyway. If I'm away somewhere strange where the climate isn't hot, I will find it difficult to sleep for the first few nights as I'm such a light sleeper normally.
My Mum's swears by Nytol. Worth trying if you haven't already.
Tried everything - useless. What makes it worse is that hubby can sleep on the sunlounger for a couple of hours, sleep an hour or 2 as a siesta & still snore all night :duh does my head in :cry
Hi Helen

Your hubby sounds just like mine, and earplugs are a way of life for me.!!
When I am in Lanzarote I buy Dormidina sleeping tablets and they do help you sleep and I was told by the chemist there, that they are the strongest without prescription.

Not sure if they are available here though.
PS Hope you and Shirley have a fab time.
I'll have to ask my daughter (nurse) if I can but them here. I know it might sound silly to some but some nights I'm so tired I could cry & I'm still awake. There's nothing wrong - I'm completely de stressed - just wide awake.
PS Hope you and Shirley have a fab time.

Caz once we have paid - we insist on it :rofl :rofl :cheers :sun2
Definitely Caz. If you don't enjoy a holiday it's your own fault. We make our own fun - and sometimes we even make other peoples fun :duh Don't ask :rofl
I've used loads of different earplugs (hubby snores), and the best ones i've found are boots make, called "muffles" wax earplugs. They're in a green box. There are 5 in a box, but you only need one and split it in half. They are the most comfortable ones i've used.
my hub gets me industrial ones from his work
i can still hear his snore but it takes away the sounds of other things, but unfortuanetly not people banging doors at 3am or scraping furntiture acrsoo floors!
Why do people do that in hotels? We stayed in a hotel in salou, only two floors and we were on the ground floor, the first night from about 1pm to 3pm the people above us were moving furniture. Fair enough I thought they must have had a late flight but were unpacking etc. But it happened every night for a week. :yikes What with that and hacking round the theme park everyday, I was exhausted when I got home from holiday. Needless to say DH and his industrial strength snoring could sleep through it. (apart from when I woke him up to moan about it and ask if he could hear it :rofl )
The only earplugs I've ever been able to wear are the foam ones - and you can get these from £1 shops :wink: I find them easy to use, you just roll them between your fingers until they're nice and thin, and then pop them in your ears, wait about half a minute and they'll "expand" inside your ears and block out everything! I've used them in a noisy apartment complex in Tenerife where people were apparently wandering noisily back to their rooms at all hours and I didn't hear a thing, I've also used them in Ibiza in a room with very noisy air-conditioning (too hot to switch it off) and got a decent night's sleep.
The main thing which stops me sleeping on holiday is the bed not being as comfy as my own bed, the pillows not feeling "right" and having old-fashioned starchy sheets with scratchy blankets instead of my nice snuggly duvet. The first night is always difficult but by the second night (which usually involves a good night on the town) I find it easier :lol:
I'm a right one for falling asleep on sunbeds by the pool during the afternoon! And I snore a little bit too!! And sometimes I can even hear myself snoring and have to fight myself awake to stop it!!! :oops:
Also as i ve said in another thread
separate rooms too, have always gone either SC or had to have 2 rooms in a hotel ( child in each) or a hotel with a separate lounge!!
I like a cheap oscillating fan in the background. A steady hum and (along with a good book) usually sends me off to sleep against all odds, and muffles other sudden noise. At home, I live on a silent road.... it's rarely like that on holiday. Even in a dead quiet place, I pick up on a lone moped buzzing by! I might resort to the foam earplugs too (they're on standby in my hand luggage).

And I never, ever fall asleep in the day. That's night-time suicide for me.

In any event, if I don't get off to sleep as I would like, then at least I don't have to get up and go to work in the morning - so all's quite well!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.