Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
For a day trip go to Xel- Ha, brilliant snorkeling. They feed the fish off the bridge that spans the water, so snorkelling amongst the huge fish that congregate is fantastic.

As far as staying somewhere for snorkelling day in day out, I'm not sure. We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and you could go out on snorkelling trips from there with Dressel Divers, which I think were quite reasonably priced and people we spoke to who had done it had a good time.

Pam :D
Thanks alot Pam...

Dunno where to go...either Playa de Carmen or Cancun???

Any ideas people?

laura
Hi Laura

I think location depends very much on what you want from your holiday. PDC isn't very big and the hotels are on a strip about 10 mins walk away or a $5 taxi ride. We only went once during the day, but there are restaurants and bars where you would get nightlife outside of the hotels.

Cancun I believe, is very much more lively. Depending on when you intend to go you could get the spring breakers who are put off PDC by the hotel's policies. You have to remember that Mexico for the Americans is like us going to Spain- for the more southern states it's only about a three hour flight so it does attract the college kids.

Personally we loved PDC, but one person's holiday heaven is another's hell. Couldn't say what the snorkelling is like in Cancun, but somewhere like xel-ha from there would be a good hour and a half at least as it is the other side of PDC.

Pam :D
Thanks....I think I would like PDC as I like to keep out the way and relax... Went to Cuba last year and was right on a coral reef it was gorgeous!

Laura :)
Laura

Have a look at the resort reports HERE and HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Go to PDC & you can get a ferry to the island of Cozumel dirt cheap(about 25minutes journey and loads per day) We had some fantastic snorkelling there.
If you decide to go to Cancun there is an island just off shore named Isla Mujeres which has numerous snorkelling sites.You can go on a tour boat from Cancun but the best way is to take the ferry and go with a local boatman.The opposite end of the island to where the ferry lands has a reef near to the shore.
Thanks everyone these are really good tips....keep them coming xx
Another vote for Isla de Mujeres. We stayed in Cancun, and got the local ferry (not the one from Cancun Hotel Zone - half the price!)
During our Mexico trip we snorkeled at Xel- Ha, Cozumel and Isla de Mujeres - they were alll great, I couldn't really chose one to be number 1.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.