Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I think the riu yucaton will be right up your street. quiet place with own local animation shows more a sit in bar chatting place bed around 11 place. nice beach side location so not much walking.
check out the reviews
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/mexico/yucatan-peninsula/playacar/riu-yucatan-hotel/
Hi thank you so much for the reply, it looks gorgeous:

Funny thing is, we were meant to go to that resort 11 years ago to celebrate my parents' 40th wedding anniversary but we had to cancel last minute due to my mum needing surgery at the time. Luckily she's well now and we were both very shocked when we saw your reply, looks likely we'll be going there :)
I am sure you will love it we did but we are not party animals lol and the beach is out of this world.
also to top this place off they have just had a total refurbishment so will be even nicer.
Looks gorgeous :)
We have a favourite resort in Cuba which we have visited every year for the last 5 years. This year, thomas cook are pulling out of going to cayo santa maria so we'd have to look elsewhere. It looks amazing :)
Can't wait to book in September
I agree with Madasharley, having just come back from Riu Yucatan in Feb this year i would recommend it 100% in fact we will be going back, its closed for refurb at the moment, but if you go on their official web site, it shows you it upgraded. I would also recommend the Riu Tequila as well, we spend a lot of time there and you can use all the other Rius whilst there free on all all inclusive, but not the Palaces.

Excellent area with a lot going on, or you can just chill. Not rowdy, beautiful surroundings and brill monkeys. A nice stroll to a few shops or a cab for a few quid into Playa del carmen. Friendly people, and great trips. For us it ticked all the boxs
Thank you :)
I was a bit worried at first as we had this resort booked 11 years ago so thought it must be quite an old hotel but the refurbs make it sound good :)
I'll look at the Tequila too :)
Definitely the Tequila - we've been there twice and had a great time. All the sister hotels are brilliant, but for the night time entertainment, you won't beat the Tequila
Thank you :) I'll run them both by the mother, she has final say :) can't wait to book now. looks like we'll be going with thomsons too :)
For feb when we will go back it worked out about £100 different between the Tequila and Yucatan, i loved them both, more animals and monkeys at the yucatan though if you want to see them. Most were on my balcony and i was 3 stories up every morning.

Not sure when you are thinking of going, but please bear in mind the wet season, we went february and it rained x 1 hour in the evening, cloudy all day x 1 day but nothing dramatic. I am assuming you have read my review, so if there is anything i have missed, please let me know.
I agree with the tequila being better entertainment wise especially with the sports bar !!!!!
however as its not beach side and dramaqueen has a 71 year old mother I would think the yucaton is better suited for them.
Thanks so much for the replies, I knew I could rely on you lot, the shortlist is between those two and the Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an but again the 3rd one isn't on the beach but with a shuttle service. We both much prefer the beach to the pool so it may be a deciding factor :)
Lol, I'm getting all excited about 2014 holiday and I've not even gone on this year's yet ;)
Hi again :)

I have just looked up the hotel on the web and it does look lovely. I am not sure if you can wander into other hotels and use their facilities the way we can with the RIUs (Tequila and Yucatan & Playacar), i am not sure whether price is higher at LBP. The reason i say this is, where the other two at situated are across the road from each other, if you want a change of hotel you switch either by a couple of mins walk or catch the buggy that takes you. Looking at the LBP the beach you will use looks quite narrow with a lot of seaweed. In my opinion the beach at the Yucatan that you can share with the other rius is absolutely one of the best i have ever seen, no seaweed as they bury it every day and simply breath taking. I think Madasharkey would agree with me ;)

The Tequila/Yucatan/playa-car are all on a private small road with beautiful trees, if you walked the road way into playa del carmen you have the luxury of finding some lovely quaint shops and monkeys, further a long their are some free ruins in the shade, watch the animals that freely move a round. I am simply trying to say but in a long winded way, you will be free to roam around where you want to go without being trapped by one private resort, thats how i feel, it is such a beautiful place you want to see it.

If you wanted to veg by the pool all day and not leave the complex then yes LBP would be an excellent hotel to use.

Cabs are about a fiver from the riu hotels into pdc if you do not want to walk, or you can go by beach, slightly longer but you see all the other hotels.

If a beach is a factor, then the Yucatan has the best in pdc, soft white sand and turquoise sea.

Only my thoughts DQ, but please do lots of research as to what your prioitys are :cheers

Michelle
Hi Michelle

Wow thank you for such a nice thoughtful post. I think the Yucatan is winning, especially as we were meant to go there a few years ago. The other 2 are up for discussion :)
Derwentrocker wrote:
For feb when we will go back it worked out about £100 different between the Tequila and Yucatan, i loved them both, more animals and monkeys at the yucatan though if you want to see them. Most were on my balcony and i was 3 stories up every morning.

Not sure when you are thinking of going, but please bear in mind the wet season, we went february and it rained x 1 hour in the evening, cloudy all day x 1 day but nothing dramatic. I am assuming you have read my review, so if there is anything i have missed, please let me know.

Hi Michelle

When is the wet season, would it included Nov/Dec ? These hotels are sounding gorgeous they are making me feel all keen to go and my OH is interested as well for once.

Sorry to jump on your thread dramaqueen.

Doe :sun2
Not at all Doe :) it's nice to see other questions, we've not had to choose a resort for 6 years so this is all new to us :)
Sorry, been on a course all day :(

Okidoki, the rainy season is all through the summer from the end of April until September, still humid and hot but lots of rain in the day, my friend just come back from a 10 day holiday and it rained constant for 7 days.

The hurricane season is all the summer sometimes going into November, but usually finishes in October.

Good hot fine weather temperatures from November to March hardly any rain, around the middle 80s to high 80s, it may rain for half an hour full on for 30 minutes, this is when the humidity builds up. Once rained its a lot cooler. We went february this year and would certainly go again this month. I cannot stand paying all that money and it pee down :que

DQ ....

If you want to wake up and have a view of the sea (providing you book a room near the pools) you will be the envy of everyone, the best beach i have ever seen all around the world i have been too, and plenty of it, never gets packed, go on you know you want to book it ;)
edit : sorry that does not sound right, it is hurricane season but that does not mean you will have one :)
No need to apologies Michelle. Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply, top quality informatiom from you as usual :tup really fancy the yucatan myself. But these days can't book things until a few weeks before I want to go due to other commitments.

Doe :sun2
Wait until the refurb has finished, they always have rooms, and you know me and my holidays ha ah :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.