General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Don't know but my grandparents went to Llandudno about 45 years on the trot! They had their own circle of friends who lived there that they had built up over the years.
up until a few years ago we had never visited the same place twice . I think for us it was a feeling of if you went back it would never be the same . Since discovering Turkey a few years ago we have been there nearly every year . we have visited the same resort but never the same hotel as we do still like some surprises when we get there .

We have also been to Egypt the last few Easters and because we can only do a week have visited the same hotel twice and will be going back there again next year . This is the only hotel we have ever returned to , not because it's necessarily anything that special but because we feel at home there and I now tend to think when you only have a week it's nice to go somewhere that enables you to settle and relax into quickly . There is no way I would have done that 10 years ago probably because I had childhood memories of always going to the same holiday camp by coach every year (neither my mum nor Dad drove) .

lyn
I used to always go to a different place every year until I went to Turkey, then I moved out there and lived in Bodrum for 3 years and since returning to the UK we still go back every year. It is second home to us really, my husband live there for 10 years and has loads of friends. We are also a bit restricted to here we can go at the moment as my husband has a Turkish passport.

We did go to Lanzarote last year as well as Bodrum but we didn't enjoy it as much.

Once my husband gets his British passport we can start visiting some other places (once he gets round to filling the form is that is ;) ), although I'm sure we sill still re-visit Turkey many times too.
I agree with you, I would get so bored visiting the same place each year as I like to explore new places, not go back somewhere I've been before.
yep i always go to the same resort and the same hotel every year, the first time we went abroad 8 years ago we had to cancel at the airport and rebook because of the coach drivers strike in the balearics (supposed to be going to menorca) and we were "allocation on arrival". We got off the plane and into the coach and while dropping others off all we could think was "if they shout our name here we're not getting off, we'll just go back home" and we were last off the coach at this gorgeous 4* hotel right on the beach. It made us realise what you could end up with and after slaving all year to pay for it I'm not really up for ending up in a shoddy hotel with a ruined holiday. So basically we work hard for our holiday and we know what to expect when we get there, so we don't worry about it being infested with cockroaches or whatever!!
We have been back to the same resort and area more than once but never stay in the same hotel
but now its just the two of us we try to go to other countries , not so much to compare but to see what other mean when they say " i love or you will love " such and such a country , we went to Greece for the first time last year , and this year we are going to Tunisia , we always went to Spain when the children were younger as i personally think they cater more for childrens entertainment .
I don't think we've ever visited the same resort twice although I've been to Kos and Corfu twice and I'm going to the Dominican Republic for the second time this summer ;)

I'm tempted to go back to the exact hotel we went to in Gumbet, but as somebody else said, it probably won't be as good second time around :que

Love finding new places but I do loads of research first. It can sometimes feel as though I already know the place before getting there :D
We have been to Florida four times but I don't think that really counts as you can go to different places each time you go and still never see it all. We have also been to Turkey three times in the last couple of years but that was down to finding an excellent hotel. I think we have been to so many countries over the years we are now going round again! :wave:
In over 45years of holidaying abroad I have rarely visited the same place twice, though have visited the same countries a few times. My main holidays are usually long haul and there are so many places I would still like to visit though the list never seems to get any shorter. My holidays are usually very active, I rarely sunbathe as after a couple of hours I'm bored out of my mind so would probably wouldn't find enough to do if I visited the same place every year, although as a child holidays abroad were not available and my parents often went to the same place. I guess a bucket and spade and plenty of sand was all I needed fifty/sixty years ago.
  • Edited by Judith 2009-06-20 12:40:13
We visit the same hotel several times a year. It really isn't that sad! We are lucky enough to go to other places too but nothing compares to 'our' hotel. Many guests we meet there have been there before and will be returning so we always meet up with someone we know.
We try other Countries etc when we go on 3/4 night breaks but for main holidays, we know nothing could be better for us.

Years ago, when we took the children away, we sometimes opted for allocation on arrival and generally had a good time but now we are older, we are a bit fussier.

Saying that, this Site has opened our minds a little - the Dom Rep seems to be calling us. The only thing that puts us off is the length of the flight though.
I'm afraid I am very boring. I've been to Rhodes more than 75 times now!! My husband and I loved the island and my daughter worked out there for a season. When I was widowed 10 years ago I continued going there as I knew I'd enjoy it and knew what to expect. I stay with friends if I go on my own but if I go with friends/family I stay in a hotel.I also go over at Christmas and new year some years, to my friends. I've been to many other places and still have a few days away somewhere different with my daughter every year but for me Rhodes is my favourite.
:wave: we've been to salou 5 times in six years and are going this year again. just love it!! loads to see and do.
My mum and her friend have been to the Hotel Alicia in Cala Bona, Majorca for the past 15 years. Always go the same 2 weeks, last week of May, first week of June. They have made so many friends over there now - mum wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.
I always like to try a new destination until we went to Zante 4 years ago and returned 3 times to the same accommodation - Amoudi it is lovely.
This year we have booked to go to Cyprus - our son is 17 and probably off on his own with friends from next year so splashed out a bit and have booked a villa.
Irene
Costa del sol every year for me, fuengirola hotel las palmeras. know what we are getting, love the place, love everything about it, and have no worries... call me boring...
Never been to the same hotel twice (but wouldn't rule it out in future), been to Playa de las Americas three times, and Costa Teguise (Lanzarote) and Costa Caleta (Fuerteventura) both twice. I like going to new places, tried Crete and Turkey in the last few years and had a great time in Ibiza, but I love the Canary Islands and I particularly like the resorts I've been to before because you don't have worry about where to find everything when you arrive. Had such a great time in Costa Caleta this Easter I've been desperately trying to persuade daughter to go back there in August!
I have never been to the same Hotel, but stayed in the same area. I have stayed in Salou a couple of times, but different Hotels, stayed in Callella a few times, again not in same Hotel - just because I wanted to try to different hotel. By trying different Hotels etc, you get to experience different things, and just because you had an absolutley blinding holiday in a Hotel last year doesn't mean that you are going to do the same this year, different people etc., On the other hand, you could have an even better onem we never know, that's whats so good about holidays you never know :cheers
We go to Cala Millor/Cala Millor year in year out and have done so for 10 years....done MANY places before including resorts in Canary Islands, mainland Spain, Greece, Cyprus and Morocco that but there's just something about the resort that I love, call it boring or whatever but it's like I'm meant to be there. It's family friendly, completely flat, plenty of places to eat out tho' tend to stick with those we know and who offer good food, there's no fear of lager louts, we get a very warm welcome from several locals who remember us, I know if anything goes wrong there's several people I can go to for help (we go DIY so no travel rep) but most importantly I feel 100% safe there.....I know I could be out walking by myself without hubby and I would feel safe (in contrast a holiday to Tenerife really un-nerved me and I hated walking at night even with hubby there).

We've stayed in one apartment place twice but rest of the time have gone to different apartment/hotel so it changes slightly but it's nice knowing where you can get your TC's changed at best rate and without the need to take your passport each time, nice to know where makes the best sarnies for lunchtime, who sells the best ice cream etc etc
It's not boring at all tisonlymoi, it's what you and your family like. Lets face it most of have fave reaturants in the UK etc, and whilst we all probably go to different local ones, there is a fave that I tend to go to more than the others...... same thing isn't ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.