General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sydney - opposite Harbour Bridge

Calangute Beach - Goa
At home with my late husband.

(Sorry I couldnt resist :oops:)

kath x
so far ive never been away for New year, but as the kids are getting older, im certainly giving it some thought for next year... so i will also be watching this space! :tup
Aw Kath, that is so touching.
The best place to be at New Year is with your family and close friends.
Been away a few times at that time of year but have always felt a bit sad and wished all our loved ones were with us. xxx
Must admit it's home for me too. Wouldn't be the same with out family and Jools Holland and his Hootenany! :)
Benidorm!!! I was not sure what to expect with being away over New Year but we had an excellent time :)
Thanks for the replies :)
Aw Kath, I do agree that it is a time to be with those who are dearest to us. We always have a big family xmas, but then our closest family do not really celebrate the New Year so we started going away.
2 years ago we went to London but I hated the crowds as everyone surged towards the Thames! Last year we went to London again but to the O2 arena to the New Year Celebration hosted by Take That.
I would love to spend this New Year in New York but it is pretty pricey so that's what's giving us doubts.
Sunaholic x
Just some of the places,
1. Force 11 gale N. Atlantic.
2 38,000 ft over Siberia.
3 Broken down train somewhere in Ayrshire.
But the best two, like Narial, Sydney Harbour, and the Millenium New Year, Goa. Alan
Wow gramps, you've had some impressive New Year's!
We have spent new year in various places, been to Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Port el Kantoui for millenium, Gambia, Benidorm and on a train crossing the Nullabor desert in Australia. We had a great time on them all - in Gambia there was a great crowd in the hotel, of course the millenium in Tunisia was memorable for obvious reasons, we have had brilliant fun nights in Benidorm, the hotels really go to town (can recommend Calypso Hotel). The experience on the train across Australia was fantastic, we celebrated twice due to the time changing whilst on the train, this is one of the great train journeys of the world. This year we will be in Calangute in Goa as we have heard so much about it. We have been going to Goa for 9 years but usually at Easter but I know we will have a brilliant time when we meet up with all our friends over there. Having said all this, Christmas and New year is a very expensive time to go away but due to work shutdown it would be a waste of holiday not to go. Wherever you go just get involved with the crowd and you will have a great time.
A mansion house in Glen Esk in Angus, Scotland - we rented the whole place on a self-catering basis and had 3 night house party for the extended family and close friends with the overspill staying in the residential youth centre in the village. There were over 50 of us all together, we went walking during the day, had a do-it-yourself ceilidh and jam session on Hogmanay itself and magically, the snow started falling just before midnight and the kids could all go tobogganing on the front lawn on New Year's Day.

To this day, the oldest daughter of one of my younger cousins is absolutely convinced that a) I live in a huge house and b) I can control the weather! We are hoping to do the same again the Hogmanay after next!

SM
SMa that really does sound amazing! I bet you had a fabulous time and I can see why you are doing it again :)
BreLiz you have definately given me food for thought! The train does sound particularly fantastic!! :)
Sunaholic
sunaholic

lucky you seeing your new year in with take That, that would be paradise for me :D but back to reality, if I manage to get time off work at new year, it will be at home with friends and family :cheers
For years when I worked shifts, i worked New Year so I could have Christmas day with Gav. Since I haven't..I am happy to spend New Year anywhere as long as I am with those I care about.
lucky you seeing your new year in with take That, that would be paradise for me

It was for me too! :-) My husband and my best friends' boyfriend had got together and bought us the tickets as a surprise for xmas. It was fab as the 4 of us travelled down together, got rooms in a Travel Lodge and made a night of it.
I am lucky in that I never have to work over xmas and New Year and do feel for people who do. I hope whatever you do you all have a great time! :)
Sunaholic
We went away to cyprus last year for new year and had a great time in a scottish bar on bar street in paphos and brought in new year twice , once when it hit midnight in cyprus and then again with big ben on tv :D :cheers

this year we are going away to tunisia for christmas and new year and I cant wait we are off to tunisia for the very first time , really looking forward to it
The 1st time I went away for new year we spentit in mexico, it was great but not as good as the last 5 years i have spent on the beaches of Goa,
Lin
Last year i was in hospital for new years eve, so for me the
best place has to be at home with family and friends
Absolutly, positivley, without a doubt the rocks and Sydney harbour are just FANTASTIC for new year.

No New Year has even come close since :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.