General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cyprus does it for me. Have been going for the last 14 years and its definitely under my skin, and I think it always will be.

Before losing my husband we always visited 'new' places in between our Cyprus fix.

Kath x
Only place we have been to more than once is NYC, I would go there every year if I could - amazing place! :hyper

As for 'sun' holidays we havn't returned to the same place - yet, we were to go back to Cyprus last year but circumstances changed that, though I would return to Cyprus again, I really loved it there.

I have only been travelling for around 6 years - i'm a late starter :rofl so I want to see as much as I can, while I can - just wish I could afford to go away more often or further afield - maybe some day :cheers
We have been going to Turkey for the past 9 years, mostly to Olu Deniz but often, as this years we have one week gulet cruise, where you sail up the coast in a small sailing boat. stopping at villages and secluded bays. and one week at a hotel somewhere.

We are trying to convince ourselves to try other places (Mostly because of other people's reaction when we say we are going to Turkey AGAIN. Places on our list are Jamaica, Mauritius and Goa. I have spent the last couple of days looking on the Goa forum, trying to glean information as to best places to stay, places to visit etc BUT apart from the fact that you can tell that people that go there love the place it hasn't come accross as very appealing, and I'm really surprised at that. So far I've learnt that, there seems to be cattle and animals on the beaches. the beach have a habit of washing away, there is a ship wreck tanker blotting the landscape on one beach,thats been there 10 years. There's actually a topic on whether its safe to swim in the sea! Bars seem to be called Shacks, these lots of beggars! Getting in and out at the airport sounds a bit of a nightmare with security checks. I'm trying to broaden my horizons but getting cold feet.
Wendy
I could never understand why people go to the same place every year..until I discovered Thailand, now I can totally understand why my boyfriends parents go there twice a year every year! They tried Egypt in April and had a good time but just didnt enjoy it as much as their Thai holidays. They are revisiting Cha Am this year (last there 6 yrs ago) and we will be joining them for our 3rd trip to Thailand although it will be our 1st to Cha am (previously visited Koh Samui, Phuket, Phi Phi and Bangkok)
Well I've branched out and booked a holiday to Sharm el Sheik in November. I am still going to Turkey though. :cheers

To be honest I do think people are missing out if they continually go to the same places - but I say that only when they haven't tried anywhere else. What I mean is if you go on your first trip abroad after always holidaying in the UK and love it and then proceed to go nowhere else I think you are missing out on maybe finding other places you like better or just as much. If you've already been abroad to a few places you will have a better idea about comparisons.

As an example my sister in law's father always holidays in Wales, which is great, all the kids and grandkids go. He was persuaded to join them all in Tenerife a few years ago. Well, he loved it and immediately started requesting they go again the next year. However my bro persuaded him to go to France with them and see what he thought of that. Well, he loved that too even though it was a completely different kind of holiday. He is now not afraid of trying out new places (but still goes to Wales every year!).
Oh I agree Sandc. Last year was the first time we could afford two holidays (we still went to Turkey mind) But it does give you the opportunity to try elsewhere when you still have your favourite place to look forward to.

Thats why I am having a look around the forums.

Been to Ibiza, Spain Malta Majorca Teneriffe but once was mostly enough at those places.
I have had holidays in all parts of the world,including 6 times to Orlando in the 90s, but I am more than happy to go back to Turkey time and time again.
I could live in Icmeler but happy to go back every year for a holiday.
I go to other parts of Turkey but there is something about Icmeler that draws you back time and time again. :sun2
Couldn't agree with you more, JayTrip - can't put my finger on what it is, but Icmeler has a charm all its own which earns itself a place in your heart.
We'd never been back to the same place twice - and never thought we would, until we went to Albufeira
for the first time in 1997.
We've returned there every year since - we just love the place, and especially the people.

(We've only stayed in 4 different accomodations throughout the years, each better than the last.)

Our children have grown up with another "home from home", they feel comfortable in the area, and know it
like the back of their hands.
Like us, they now have their own friends there (who they keep in touch with throughout the year)

Because of all these factors, over the years we have been able to give them a certain amount of freedom that
I doubt they would have had anywhere else.

Our children are now young adults and still want to return there every year - either with or without us.
(Of course, they also want to venture to other climes, and, circumstances allowing, do so.)

To be totally honest, after (both my husband and I) travelling the world over, I never thought I would hear myself
say it, but I wouldn't think I was going on holiday unless I returned there.
It would be useless us going anywhere else at the moment, because I know we would just be comparing everything to
Albufeira and it's wonderful people. :love
We love Albufeira too, Milly Molly. It is a good place to go for a short break as the flight is not too long.
Last month we went to Falesia - fab hotel but the area does not compare to Albufeira.
We love walking along the beach. Do you know if the lift is now in operation by the Rocamar Hotel?
I used to think that people that went to the same place every year were boring. I have travelled quite a lot and been to lots of different places both short haul and long haul and had never been to the same place twice.

Until I went to Turkey.

I have been there five times and am about to book my sixth.

Up until now, we have always stayed in the same hotel too, but this time I'm going to get a villa.

We have been to other places in between our trips to Turkey - we went to the Dominican Republic, it cost us four times what our usual holiday in Turkey cost and it was very disappointing.

So we will continue to go to other places now and then, but Turkey seems to have won a place in our hearts! So I guess by my own admission, I am boring!
Up until five years ago I loved trying new places, doing the research, looking forward to new experiences - and then we went to Turkey and fell in love with the place. We returned twice a year every year and last year we bought a house there and visited five times. Have already been there twice this year, going again in September and hopefully a couple more times (October and December).

It's our very own home from home and we no longer need to take luggage with us (apart from hand luggage) as we have everything we need over there. I absolutely adore arriving, dumping the cases and going into town to meet with all our friends again - I think I know more people there than I do here!!!!

Funny how things change when you find somewhere that when you land at the airport, you think Oh I've come home.
For Gumbet Jakki,
Having lived and worked in the middle east 30yrs,the I am home feeling is when the plane lands at Heathrow or Manchester,then travelling home on a crip march morning i know i am home.I have travelled for most of my adult life but the UK with all its faults is still the best place in the world for me.
We have returned to the same places quite a few times, the only place we haven`t re-visited is Benidorm.
Salou we done loads when the kids were small, as it had plenty for them to do.
Marmaris i have visited loads of times, every year, sometimes twice a year for the past 6 years, again because of my sons...they love it there, i feel that i know the place as well as i know my home town lol
However i put my foot firmly down before booking next years holiday.......we are going to Icmeler :rofl
although its only along the road from Marmaris, im looking forward to a different resort but marmaris is so close if the kids want to visit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.