General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Unless I'm trying to save on weight by putting them in my hand luggage, I put shoes in the bottom of the suitcase, followed by towels and beachwear. I then put in my toiletry and suncream bags so they end up somewhere in the middle of the case with adequate padding on all sides. That way, if the cases are flung about nothing gets broken and no nasty leaks everywhere.
Very similar to Helen T... but I take 3-4 large carrier bags in the bottom that get used for dirty clothes in the bottom of the wardrobe whilst away and then get put back in the case as is for coming back. Then it's 1 towel, then jeans/combats, then suncream and books in the middle with shoes around the side, with swimwear, socks and pants in all the gaps to level it up. Finally, shirts & T shirts on top and the other beach towel.
Towels first, followed by hubby's shorts (the heavy cargo type ones), daughter's shorts, tshirts and vest tops, light shorts etc. The toiletry bags (yes more than one :roll:) always go at the bottom corner of each case surrounded by swimwear, pants socks etc. I always pack suncreams in the various clear toiletry bags that I seem to have accumulated over the years (which are also dead handy for carrying to/from the beach) and they get thrown in wherever there is space. Shoes are normally stuck around the sides of the cases and lastly, all the shirts, dresses, skirts (basically anything that will crease) goes on the top at the last minute before I shut and lock the case.

I mix our cases between the 3 of us so I always pack the cases in the same way - one or two shorts in each case, one or two tshirts in each case etc. Always a nightmare when we get there to empty the cases, but if one case ever went missing, I know that there are clothes for us all in the others.

Coming home, I pack differently, all the clean unused clothes (not normally much as I have got a lot better at packing) go in the smallest case, folded neatly. Everything else gets split between the other cases any old how as long as it fits. I do bag up dirty underwear (and split into whites and colours for the first load of washing when I get in :oops: ) and I would certainly feel sorry for the customs chap that wants to look through those bags at customs if the need ever arose ;)
we take 4 cases so bits of everyones in each case, it would be my luck for my case to go missing so not taking that chance, shoes in first then towels then anything else really, toiletry bags (yes more than 1 here as well) in the middle, hubby normally does the packing anyway i just iron it all first ;)
Well I've just finished my packing ready for tomorrow :) It seems to have taken forever to do, spent pretty much all day on it, inbetween journeys back and forth to school and a last minute trip to Asda and Boots. I'm kn**ck*r*d! Think I need a holiday! There's 4 of us and I have managed to squash all our stuff into 3 cases (including 2 car booster seats for the kids). Towels first, then toiletries, don't use toiletry bags anymore after I had an accident with something bursting and covering everything in the bag, plus I seem to take so much stuff that I find them too bulky. It's a bit of a faff but I put each bottle in a ziplock food bag and spread them out on top of the towels. Then it's swimwear, undies and socks, to fill the gaps. Shoes placed around the edges. Kids clothes next, then my stuff, the hubbies. I also layer hangers in amongst the clothes as you never have enough at your accomodation. Then finally, I just pray that they all shut. Coming home it all just gets chucked in apart from a sorted bag of washing so I can put the machine on as soon as I get home. I wash everything whether it's been worn or not - never used to - but read somewhere about how easy it is to bring bed bugs back with you - especially if you store your case under the bed in your room :yikes Makes you think doesn't it?
towel at the bottom , i dont use a toiletry bag as i find this is rather bulky to pack , so i wrap shampoo shower gel , toothpaste aftersun , sun cream's individually in carrier bags and put them in the inside pockets of the suitcase. swimwear, underwear on top of towel and then just layer things with coat hangers inbetween , somethings i leave on the hanger , shoes and sandals around the sides .
My airtight bags with too many clothes in! manage to fit sunloations and shoes in the gaps, then put another airtight bag on top, with yet too many clothes again! Then pack more shoes/make up/hair stuff in what ever space is left... sit on suitcase and throw a party when it's zipped :pele
shoes and toiletries i always have five cases to pack so im quite practised now. :think
Towels and shoes on the bottom. Then heavy weight clothing etc next followed by easily creased clothes at the top.

Again I mix the clothes between all our cases just incase one should go missing :tup
From what I've seen baggage handlers aren't too bothered between top and bottom! I pack my holdall with stuff that might leak if squashed at one end (and in a plastic carrier bag) and the stuff that shouldn't be near it at the other - I've never seen it stood on end on a trolley!!
Towels and shoes then toiletrise in plastic sealed bags in case of spillages, day time clothes then night time clothes on top.
Hi
Always put towels on the bottom, followed by cossies. Put my sandels round the edge of case and put toiletries in side the sandels,Put sun tan lotion in a carrier bag and lay it flat in the middle of the case, Carrier bag then used for dirty clothes.Stuff underwear in any gaps left... ;)
M
Usually swimming costumes at the bottom and flimsy clothing then towels at the top. I usually put all our shoes and toiletries in a separate small case.
1st thing is the beach and none creasble things like my bikinis beach maxi dresses etc, then ll my toilitries into plastic bags incase they leak. then carry on woth the rest, incl iron
hmm.....depends on mood, but normally trousers as I change them less often than tshirts if you get me xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.