Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
thanks...

what would be what are your names ?
sorry doing an edit as you post...

no just what is your name...
ah I did wonder.. I thought I'm sure that lot wasn't there ... :rofl
if you use the wrong sex/tense/amount for a word, will you still be understood (like we can in English when people use odd ball grammer or words that are mouthed incorrectly) and would people take insult ? If you addressed them (because you don't know/realise) with female gender when they are male etc (not that I intend on getting it wrong, but I'm sure I will)

*edit* ps I ask this because I asked for "a feel e a" (afelia) and got a blank look... when I pointed the waitress said aah "a fail e a".. seems almost identical to my ears and if someone said "nah you where otel are" in there accent and odd grammer I'd still know they want to know where the hotel is...
well this is all practice for me ... 7 days and Im of to Zakynthos :cheers
now do you think there is any reason why i wont :rofl no driving for a week means :cheers :cheers :cheers ;)
:tup sunshine, wine/beer and people watching... :sun2
i have spent far too long on this forum you all know me too well.. :rofl ;)

Now back on topic

Rum the greek is roomy so to distinguish ask for roomy thelo bacardi or thelo captain morgan

vodka is vodka ,gin is gin, and whisky is whisky, wine is krassi, white is aspro red is kokino [if you like dry reds then remember in parts of greece and cyprus they make a very sweet red [glikos is sweet] [stegnos is dry]

now vodka like beera is female so its mia not ena
rough guide if it ends in "a" then its likely to be female gender "beerA" and "vodka" ...

is thelo the shortened version of Thigh eethala ? I want/would like ?
is thelo the shortened version of Thigh eethala ? I want/would like ?

your getting good at this :tup

and yes as a rule of thumb if the true English translation ends in A [ we say Athens but the true translation is Athena making it female] then its most likely to be female [but a few will catch you out]
When speaking to or about children - generally they don't use a gender.

Something I saw earlier but I may have misunderstood in the post - but the word for "yes" is Ναι (pronounced a bit of a cross between neigh as in what a horse does and eh? as in WTF)... To confuse things even more, you will often see a shake of the head from side to side.

The word for "no" is οχι and it's a very soft k sound as in word Loch as has been suggested. But this is accompanied by the eyes raised heavenwards and a slight raising of the head and then nodding the head down. So giving the completely opposite (in what we're used to) for a nod to us usually means "yes" - one to definitely watch out for. Often, they may not even say the word "no" - you will just get the eyes and head movement!

There is a different dialect in Paphos and they get referred to as Pontians. There's something that's not particularly liked about the dialect used in Paphos and I think it's something to do with some Turkish influence there. Recently, when I was at the Limassol General Hospital they had to call a lady doctor in for the day from Paphos and there was quite an uproar over it.

For the pronunciation of the letter "p" as in pende (5) - again, it's a very soft p so almost like a "b". A bit similar to the pronunciation of a Spanish "b". So the name Pambos - will sound like Bambo if speaking to them or Bambos if speaking about them.

The letter "nt" together - makes a "d" sound. For example - Antonis the name is "Adonis"

If you see two "γγ" (the "γ" is a soft "g" sound) but when written together, you may find it pronounced as "ng" as in Bingo.

These are some of the odd dipthongs I referred to a long way back and they're covered in the video link that I gave at the time.
thank god all my post are back... :tup

i am now back, drink in hand [ena roomy [captain morgan] me' coke a cola horis pargo

so alls right with the world
the "brainhook" used on my app... said "I'm going to remember Horris on a horse without a saddle".. so Horris is without ! :cheers
Here you are Steve - something just right up your street.

A special Cyprus Meze deal at our favourite beach restaurant - Kourion Restaurant on Curium Beach, Limassol :
http://wp.me/p1uja5-1vq
you rotten so and so you made me feel hungry now :que
Oops sorry :wave:

Steve can practice the Greek menu!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.