Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
just been watching an old episode of Peter Andres show where he was in Cyprus... he greated people with Yassou and then something sounding close to sigor maybe Eego me?.. which the subtitles showed as "hello how are you" .. any ideas ?
vague recollections

yasoo a greeting to close friends and family [normally] means the same as yasus to acquaintances

from memory he is actually saying ... yasooo signomi [halo ,excuse me]

and why are you not on your aircraft
Not seen the tv show so no idea....

He could be saying something like "εχω ειμαι" (eghow eemeh) which is an emphasis on the person.

In English you might answer a question with "Me, I am" and that's how it's used here. But without seeing it or hearing it, I can't say for sure but if it followed "yiasou/sus" then it would sound a bit like that.
Thanks to both of you. Plane was delayed for an hour because someone couldn't count ! Lol
because someone couldn't count !

was that in greek cy :rofl ....have a great time....tweetie

ps ...thalo ena krassi aspro parickalo.....that will get me through happy :rofl
Wizard wrote:
yasoo a greeting to close friends and family [normally] means the same as yasus to acquaintances

And, if I'm not mistaken, yaSAS is for greeting more than one person or someone you don't know very well.
So Steve,

Hope you are enjoying your holiday in Cyprus and that you haven't missed out on our recent island earth tremors? :yikes

4.3 on Wednesday with a couple of smaller ones a number of hours later but last night there was a huge 5.5 meg out on the Cyprian Arc just before 10pm which gave a lot of people's cocktails a "shake" they weren't expecting.

It was also felt in Beirut, Syria and Israel as it was out in the Med between us all. We don't usually get them so big and we didn't feel it at the bar where we were either.

Felt the one on Wednesday though - just as I walked through the front door at home. A lot of rattling of metal shutters, display ornaments followed by a rippling "shunt" effect of the house from south to north was felt. All before I managed to get my bag and keys put down in their usual spot!

Welcome to Cyprus, she's obviously pleased to see you :rofl
scarey :omg ....I usually go on holiday to chill out and unwind...this kind of exitement might have been a titch too much for me...at leaste your OK cyprus 100.....and hope steve didnt spill his pint .... yasus tweetie
Not spilt a thing , nor did I feel anything ! :-)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Kalimera stin Zakinthos eem mee chronos kala

eseese
I'm back... the language went well, but as I expected you get stuck very quickly... :rofl

Greeting Andreas with Yasou as I approached the bar went well (well it would wouldn't it), he replied with the same and stopped at that because most people have picked up on saying Hello and Cheers...

I then dug deep, confidently, smoothly and "thigh eethala, mia beera parakalo" for a split second confusing crossed his eyes, not once before had I tried to ask about, speak or use any Greek, so he was expecting English, almost instantly he realised (and I must have said it well) as his eyes said he understood and was a little bit happy for my efforts. This was when all the asking, looking, reading and listening to the sound bite recordings fell down and went for a play in a dark corner somewhere... with a genuine smile he said "megala"..something to quick to hear/thinkabout but I'm guessing the Greek for "or" ..."meekro".. My brain did about the same as his did when expecting something else to be said... No I thought I recognised "megala" (and I did but I'm coming to that) so I said in English "it must be Megala" then... he then explained is was "large" and "small"...

now back to why I thought I recognised it.. Ena Caf-ay mi gala - A coffee with milk ! (unless my brain is slipping cogs again)..
so "a coffee" and as an after thought "with milk" would be "ena caf-ay mi gala"
but "a coffee" and as an after thought "large" would be "ena caf-ay megala"
both sounding exactly the same to my ears....

:que
another thing I found.. a chap called Charlie who happened to speak fairly fluent "holiday" Greek picked up in the Greek Islands, so when he was in the bar I heard a few short conversations between him and Andreas...

Parakalo, he pronounced Paragalo ! this was similar for quite a few words, slightly different letter sounds used, but both could understand each other.

In the conversations the word "endaxi" was used frequently, which seemed odd to me. As far as I'm aware it means "ok" doesn't it ? It just made for some short sentences...

(his wife Irene also Greek speaking was getting up from the table as Charlie was paying his bill "toe logarismo" at the bar)
Andreas to Irene - endaxi Irene
Irene - endaxi efkaristo
Andreas - endaxi ta lay-me
Irene- tay-me Andreas

seemed a bit overkill to keep throwing it in ?.. is it really used that much and not bothering with more wordy sentences, or is that "dummed down" to what I'm going to call "holiday speak" ? knowing that your average punter couldn't go a full conversation ?

I did noticed I understood most of what was being said, could fill in the gaps with assumptions when Andreas and Charlie were speaking but if Andreas and other staff were talking to each other it was like they were using a language I knew nothing of, but occasionally a word sounded a bit like one I knew...

:que
oh the greeting I was on about several posts back with Peter Andre ?...

well I heard Charlie use that once and Andreas replied something that sounded like the set reply.. I mean to ask but with looking after the grandchildren I forgot...

but it still sounded something like "ee sigomi Andreas" which seemed to be like "how are you" or "are you ok" type of greeting ?
I have had some fun as well, the Greek speaking Russian bar man, the Kazakhstani wife of the Cypriot manager and myself trying to teach a Moldavian bar maid Greek
:yikes sounds like one confusing holiday :rofl
just been told that "excuse me"

Sig no me - Excuse me = how you might attract the attention of the bar tender
mi(mi pronounced like the start of mint) see-ho-(k)ree-tay - is how you might say excuse me when trying to get passed someone !
I've just watched back the Peter Andre thing...

he says "yassou si gara" (could be si gala) bit hard to distingish, which the subtitles suggest are "hello how are you"
and the reply might be "gara si" which the subtitle suggests "I'm good"

???

does this make sense to anyone ?

this is what I heard being said with Andreas and Charlie
Εισαι καλα - eesay gahla

How are you?

Reply is: καλα εσει = gahla ehsee?

I'm good. You?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.