Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Speed boat Hire
11 Posts
We stayed in Olu about three years ago, a very nice mature couple from our hotel hired a speedboat and unfortunately it sunk, not their fault although they had taken it out of the area shown on the map they were given. The guy who hired it was told that his wife would be killed if they didn't pay compensation for the boat. They paid!
has anyone done this from altinkum? we go in 2 weeks & would love to do this.also if it can be done,then the cost please?
thanks
tracy
hubby hired a speed boat in marmaris last year ,, the biggest they had, there was my hubby ,pregnant daughter, son,in law. male friend, daughter and her friend, the tank was full and they were given 2 drums with 50 litres ,our male friend was told too come back after 1st drum had been used for another 1, infomation he forgot to pass on , the fuel should have lasted 3hrs, well after 5hrs of sunnin myself on the beach i started to worry , youve guessed it after 3hrs they ran out and only then did our friend say,opps we were suppose to go back for top up ,well i was beside myself ,thinking whats happend as my pregnant daughter been ill, have they lost over board my other daughters friend ,it was when the big boats where coming in from the lazy day trips that my turkish friend said to me ,, dont worry the boats are comming back now ,, omg he thiought i meant they were on a lazy day trip ,, when i explained they had hired a speed boat ,, he too panicked and went to hire place to find out what had happened,,they had given my hubby a mobile phone for contact and they had tried to ring him but got no answer , i was sure my family were in deep trouble ,, then came the phone call from my hubby to say what had happened and the hire men went out in another boat to find them , needless to say they came back un harmed and saw the funny side ,, we will hire another tommorrow my hubby said , noooooo chance was my reply ,and now when we return i have to persuade him not to go on another ,, so if i was you i wouldnt venture too far my family only went as far as turunc but the sea is a wide open space lol
We had best not get too adventurous then!

Thanks for advise and replies
We hired a speedboat from Oludeniz beach a couple of years ago, and it was absolutely brilliant! The guy we hired it from did give us an extra drum of fuel but we never had to use it. We hired the boat for a whole day (we took it out around 10 in the morning, and he asked us to bring it back by 5 o'clock)

We just went along the coast and stopped off at little coves and beaches. We also found a lovely little bay to the west of Olu where there was a tiny ramshackle restaurant with just one other table occupied; it was absolutely fantastic. We had freshly caught sea bream, homemade chips, and a large green herby salad with chilled white wine. The view from there was absolutely idyllic; so be sure to look out for it.

You can also stop off at Gelimer beach which is very beautiful too.

When you hire the boat, be sure to ask him for lifejackets (we had to ask for ours as there were none on the boat :( ) and make sure you have your phone with you so you can call for help if need be. The guy we hired ours from never really showed us how to drive it properly, or explained the rules of the sea, or what to do in an emergency. I know they're the boring bits but they are so important.

He did, however, show us the cool box for our drinks!! :D Naturally, the driver needs to abstain from alcohol..................which is why I left the driving up to my partner. :tut

Hiring a speedboat is a fabulous experience, and as someoe has already said, you can do things under your own steam: which is so nice! It's also very exhillerating too.

I'm sure you'll love it. Oh, and don't forget your cover-ups from the sun.

Strawberry
Strawberry?
When you say left of Olu, is that left facing out to sea on what. West is Butterfly valley and East is towards Gemiler Island isn't it?

Thats just the sort of place I mean. We stopped is bays like that on the gulet.
Hi Dadooronron,

If you're standing on the beach at Olu, Butterfly Valley would be to your left, and Gelimer Beach would be to your right.

Strawberry
How much are people paying for speedboat hire now as a matter of interest?

Fancied doing it in Icmeler a few years back and was quoted a high price I thought compared to Gumbet years ago.
I think prices start at £60 (YTL 170 was what we we quoted ) for the smallest boat. I presume that came with the fuel, we didn't get as far as asking that question.

ps (Strawberry, still not sure which way that little bay with the restaurant is?
From memory, to hire the speedboat for a full day (9-5) it was about £60, but it could have been slightly more. That also included the fuel.

Dadaroo,

I don't know the name of that small bay, but it's the second or third one you come to after leaving Olu beach (to the right). It's a very small bay. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks and I'll try and find out the name of it.

Strawberry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.