Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Stalis
86 Posts
Stupot,

my niece and her friend are 24 so Malia sounds good for them for a couple of nights out, eventhough they're not the types to party all holiday. Getting more drawn to Stallis now, seems to be the best of both worlds. My next job is to pick the accomodation. Have drawn up a shortlist so I'll see what I can find out.
Hi,

went to Turkey with Direct holidays a couple of years ago. We had no problems and a fantastic holiday. Might book with them again for next year. We've definitely decided on Greece (possibly Stallis in Crete) and have already got loads of brochures including the Direct holidays one.
Take a look at the hotel reviews on this site for stallis there are quite a few to choose from also on www.realholidayreports.com for truthful reports on some of the hotels. Would suggest that you get a hotel or appt's that arn't the wrong side of the main highway.

From the main road though you can get the local buses to many other resorts and also into Heraklion on a Sunday morning for the street market, certainly one of the longest markets I have ever been to. :glynis
hi shirley, 8of us were in stalis a couple of years ago and it was brilliant we stayed in the remi apts they are on the coast road and they were just fine, as for stalis its self it was great lots of pubs and restaurants to go to try the mediteranian it looks like a small bar on the main road but once you go into it it opens out to a large dining area, if youre going to malia its only about a 20 minute walk along the coast road with plenty of pubs along the way ,hope this helps you out ,have a great time when your there. jannie :pele :glynis
Thanks for your replies,
sis just texted to say she likes the lookof Hotel Christianna beach, Stalis. Anyone know this hotel?
Arrived back from Stalis last week have stopped there many times and it was just as good as it's always been although you can see it's becoming more and more commercial but it's still got a really good atmosphere round the resort.
Rick
I am thinking of booking a holiday to crete next year.

as i use a wheelchair i need to know what the accessibility is like.
The whole front of Stalis from one end all the way to Malia is as flat as a pancake,it's just when you actually go towards the main road you can find a few areas where you start finding it becoming quite steep as you are looking at mountains from the beach road but personally as long as your apartments are easily accessible you'll have no problem in the resort.
Rick.
I would say that it depends on where your apartments are. Stalis is split in two by the main road. If you are in a wheelchair it would be risky trying to cross this drag unless you are either young and fit or use one of the underpasses. If you are on the coast side you will be OK, it's flat, but some of the apartments are on a steep slope.

Basically, you need to check out the accommodation before you even think of staying there, and I loved Stalis. A lot of the tavernas were up steps as well, now I think of it.

Parky

Just got back from a 10 day holiday near hersonisos which is not far from stalis, we walked to Stalis from there and apart from a few hills on the main road area it was flat from end to end. I also noted a few ramps for wheelchairs in certain areas so you should be fine.
Hi,

Just got back from stopping at the the Filia apartments in Stalis. My Husband and I walked all over, you will have no problem in Stalis getting about, yes there are a few small banks, but nothing that should bother you, even with a wheelchair. It is nearly all flat,

Good Hols Jen xxx
I am planning to go on holiday to Stalis in June. I last stayed there 6 years ago, and was wondering as there been a lot of development in the last few years?
It's a little noisier and the beach road seems to be busier all the way to Malia now but it's not too over the top, still a good feel to the resort.still quite a few bars you'll recognise and quite a few with different names and owners.
Rick.
Hi everyone,

Myself and my girlfriend (22,20) are goin to stalis on the 30th may for a week staying in the elena appartments.

Whats these appartments like?
Is there any atm's in stalis or better with travellers checks?
any suggestions of things that are must do in the area?
also any good resterauts/taverns/bars?

sorry for all the questions!!! :?

thanks

andrew
Try http://www.crete-uncovered.co.uk for info on these apts I'm fairly sure there's an atm machine in Stalis.Loads of bars try the beachcomber for good atmosphere,Artemis,if you like chinese there's a good chinese restaurant by the church.Go to Malia old village for loads of nice tavernas and just to soak up the atmosphere.Try a trio to Spinalonga do it yourself though jump on the bus and book on a boat in Ag Nik cheaper,good bus service.Water park in Hersonissos,so much to do can't say in one go.I go out on the 30th as well for about my 15th visit to Stalis love the place.Hope the info helps.
Rick.
Andrew, we were in Stalis for two weeks last year, based at the Malia end of town. There are at least 3 atm's at this end of town and countless good bars and restaurants, so many that we never felt the need to travel further into Stalis than Dwyers (cheapest sunbeds in town!) Sure you'll have a great holiday.
Hi Andrew,

Myself and my bf stayed in Elena 3 years ago... lovely small complex a short distance from the beach. It was clean and tidy and the staff were very friendly! We fell in love with Stalis and are going back again... TOMORROW! It's quite quiet (well it was a few years ago). From memory, there was an atm just down the road (from Elena) in a Bureau de Change office, but we never seemed to have any difficulty taking money out.

Nightlife was exactly what we were after, with the mad crowds centred around Malia and Hersonnissis, but as these were only a short taxi ride away we were able to experience the best of both worlds. We rented a quad for a day and took a scenic trip up the mountains and around the different resorts, also went to Star Beach to relax for another day. We also got a car for 4 days and explored the island. Went to the south which was beautiful, to the East we went to the "Bounty Beach" aka Vai, but weren't impressed... esp after the long drive!

The aquarium in Hersonissis is cool!! Run by a lovely man and has interesting animals too... good place to take shelter from harsh midday sun!

On the bars/restaurant front, none really stood out in my mind as they all served up the same food/drink for similar prices etc. There was a nice cocktail bar on the Malia side of Stalis which makes you feel like you're in the Carribean!

If there is anything else you need to know, let me know!
HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME :D

*Sangria*

BTW... the one bad point we had with Elena was we found out (towards the end of the second week) that you could open the door of our studio without a key (or much trouble). This didn't cause us too much concern as the complex was so quiet and we were so at ease. But you might want to check that yours works!
thanks for the replys, it sounds great... glad to hear the appartments are good!! stalis sounds just what we're after...quiet and relaxing with nice bars/restaurants but with some nite life just down the road!!

thanks for the info on atm's because i'm not going to bother with travellers checks this year. i had thought of renting a quad myself to look around although the stories i've read on this has made me think twice but surely it all depends on how you senisibly you ride them?? i can understand the point of young lads driving around drunk on them acting the idiot.

thanks again..

andrew
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.