Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
First I have heard of this. We normally wrap ours in a towel and put it in case.

Sarah
Never heard of this one. We always pack 3 bottles (usually ouzo)in each suitcase and yes the cases are always overweight. No problems in Lesvos last month and intend to do the same next month in Crete. Which tour operator were you with?
Never heard of that one. Rep must have been new to the job
I suppose it depends what they mean by "duty free" because strictly speaking, being in the EU, there isn't any actual duty free allowance from Greece. If you wait to buy your cheap booze at the airport, you don't have any choice but to carry it in your hand luggage, because you'll already have checked your cases in by the time you get to the shops. But if you buy it locally, it makes more sense to pack it.

I've never heard of any rules saying you can't do this and usually take a roll of bubble wrap to Greece with me just for this purpose :)
Perhaps it was more of a recommendation than a 'rule'? Unlesss well packed it would be easy for a bottle in your suitcase to get smashed.
I guess it would depend what kind of suitcase you have - hard bodied ones make best drinks protectors!!
Would also suggest a couple of plastic bags roubd each ones since if it does smash will really wreck your clothes !
I've never had a hard-bodied case, partly because most of them seem to be a lot heavier than soft ones and I have enough problems keeping to the weight limits as it is :( So I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I've never had a bottle smashed in 20-odd years of travelling with soft-sided cases. The bubblewrap does help and only costs about a quid from Stationery Box for enough to do about 6 litre bottles. I also take a roll of sellotape and seal both ends up and then wrap each one in a plastic bag with the ends tied together in a tight knot because even though I've not had any breakages, occasionally the tops can leak slightly and even a small drop of Metaxa can stain your clothes!
ive never had a problem with bringing booze back from greece
Always pack it in the case wrapped in towles.
We always bring back a bottle(s) of something wrapped in a towel in our case with no problems.

Did your friend forget to bring you a bottle back (or I bet they drank it) and made up an excuse :lol:
that's why im taking an extra big case this year for my ozuo...
Rubbish ! Must have been a new rep...
Mine has always been safe in my case.
Has to be safer wrapped in a towel than bashing about in your hand luggage...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.