Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigration-workers-vote-for-strike-1762987.html

I think this is the link Shirl - if it comes out properly
:whoops not right obviously - if you google immigration worker strike - its the 1st article that comes up.
Hi Shirley ... the topic title may be a little premature and alarmist. There is a dispute over shift patterns and working practices with staff at the UK Border Agency. Talks with unions and management are ongoing and although a ballot has been held, it won't be announced until next week whether or not the vote is in favour of strike action.

David :wave
Post edited for copyright reasons
David HT Mod

Let's hope that this part is right then, as I too am due to fly on the 5th.
Most of these industrial relations issues are thankfully resolved before any strike action. That's why the media have to issue scare stories in advance while there is the prospect of a good story, rather than wait and discover that there is nothing to report. Hopefully this issue will also be resolved amicably and in plenty of time, so that everyone can relax and look forward to their holidays.

Im flying out to turkey 5th August...lets hope that it doesnt happen..if it does,hopefully it wont include manchester airport
Although the strike ballot result was leaked or released yesterday, talks are still ongoing today to resolve the situation. The media is obviously headlining the issue that 78% of union members have voted in favour of strike action. However, my understanding is that it is 78% of members of just one union which represents around 1100 workers. Another union, which represents around 4000 workers, has not yet held any ballot but is considering doing so. Hopefully a resolution can still be found !

I'm hanging on to the thought that even if the strike goes ahead, we (as outbound passengers) won't be affected. Wouldn't it just be passengers arriving in the UK that would exsperience the delays? I could cope better with a delay coming back into the country ;)
I would have thought it would be in both directions Shirley, as we have to show our passports on the way out as well.
Hubby said it was immigration workers that were thinking of striking - he thought they were the ones who check the id's and passports of incoming passengers.
Doesn't the border control work both ways then, I may be wrong mind!
I know you have to show passports to leave the country but is it immigration that does that? I don't know, maybe someone in the know will enlighten us.
Some of the more responsible media reporting has suggested that IF the strike action goes ahead, it may cause delays for incoming passengers arriving at UK air and sea ports of entry. Others may prefer not to emphasise that point, in the interests of a good story.

well i fly from manchester to dalaman on the 5th so i am scouring the news but not heard much as of yet
on the way out it tends to be check-in staff who check your passport. For coming back it might be an idea to look into the IRIS scheme before you go (and if you're coming back to Manchester that counts for when they're working normally as well!!).
Thanks for the reassurance folks, have just got around to reading the paper and saw the article, we also fly out on the 5th which was the day quoted, could not believe it, 3 years ago we flew out the day after security clamped down, which was not funny, but have to say that this site was a great help then. Nels
Sorry, also forgot to ask does anyone have any update about BA have been scouring the news but cannot seem to find any updates.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.