Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
STRIKES
7 Posts
hello and not sure if anyone as heard the same as us but we have heard that there may be strike action by hotel workers in the costas from june to august and we r wondering if any one may know more about this ?????
a friend as told us it was in a national paper and we would like to find out more as we go to costa del sol on the 2/06/06
regards dave and fam .........

EDIT: Merged with existing topic
David HT Mod
Hi Dave .... click here for just one of the media reports about these 'proposed' strikes. You will find another in the post up above.

There has been a lot of speculation and scaremongering in various areas of the media on this issue. Many talk about 'when' the hotel workers go on strike, rather than 'if'. What is generally less well reported is that workers have yet to accept strike proposals, and they don't meet to consider them until 24 May. I believe ABTA have also described it as highly unlikely that strikes will go ahead on the scale suggested by the media, but again that is less well publicised in press reports.

Of course it would be disastrous for holidaymakers if these strikes did become reality, but we have to bear in mind that we always have strike threats and warnings in the travel industry at this time of year (which are occasionally exaggerated by the media) and they very rarely become reality.

Let's wait and see what happens at the meeting on 24 May.

David :wave
Is there any update on the proposed strikes by hotel staff ?

What happened at the Meeting on 24th May ?

First strike was planned for 22 to 25 June is this going ahead ?
Within the last few hours, some areas of the Spanish media are reporting that the proposed strikes which were due to start next week have been called off, after an agreement was reached on a new four year wage deal.

There may be some reports in the UK media today to the contrary, but that is only because in those hours before the deal was struck, ABTA and tour operators had already started putting contingency plans in place and warning of possible disruption to holidays.

But reports from Spain certainly suggest that all is now well.

David :wave
Now confirmed by Travelmole:

Costa del Sol hotel strikes called off

A series of one-day strikes planned by hotel workers in the Costa del Sol have been called off.

An agreement has been reached between the trade unions and the Hotel Association of the Costa del Sol.

The two parties reached a consensus that will form the basis of a labour relations contractual agreement for the next four years.

With permission from Travelmole
Yes I can confirm this is true having today received an email from my hotel, who promised to keep me informed.

Well done Sol Melia for giving me the good news.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.