Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Mark. We've been to Corfu x2, kosx2, and Zante. We're trying Santorini this year. It's had some varying reviews but we've decided to go with the good ones and give it a go. There are some threads on the island in this forum if you want to research it a bit.
If you liked Zante and Corfu, have a look at Paxos - it's like a mini version of them, being just a few miles south of Corfu. Some photos and info here

Elaine
How about Crete......the largest of all the islands. Plenty of resorts to choose from and some stunning scenery, plus plenty of history.

Or Halkidiki.....whilst attached to the mainland and not an Island it gets rave reviews.

Or for somwhere queiter try Kefalonia.....if you liked Zakynthos it would remind you of there but smaller and more laid back.
Have a look at Cyprus(Paphos and Protaras). There is also Northern Cyprus(Turkish Part) around Kyrenia. Then there is Santorini(Smaragdi Village Apartments at Perissa through Kosmar). Crete is very pro-British, this stems back to World War 2.
Thanks for the reply's will definetely have a good look at Crete.
Mark
Cyprus is NOT a Greek island. It's a seperate country that speaks Greek (& Turkish).
I must say we have been to Kriti before and are off again for 2 weeks in September, being one of the largest islands we only got to see about a quarter of it last time so are looking forward to our next visit so we can visit more of the island

wizard
How about Skiathos or Thassos? Both very good! :wink:
I've been to Crete and we really enjoyed the parts we got out to see. Our only mistake was staying in Hersonossis which was way to busy for us. We would def consider going back but to a different resort.

Sarah
Another vote for Crete from me. The Chania area of Crete is really nice, there's all kinds of accommodation to choose from, larger resorts and 5* hotels and smaller ones with simpler accommodation, also Chania has its own airport.

My understanding is that Western Crete is less touristy than Eastern Crete so it depends on what you want from your holiday really. We had a car when we were there and you can get right off the beaten track if you want to. Good Luck.
Hi Mark 26, WE have been going to Greece since 1989 done many of the Islands and once one the mainland Our favorite Island being Kefalonia (21 visits so far) but there are many parts of Greece for us yet to see we like the quieter places which are not very tourist, loved Andros, Syros,
sciathos if you are a beach person but apart from beaches not a lot to do I would personnally avoid Allonysos, but as lot of our visits were quite some time ago and things change can only really comment on the more recent.
pojo
:lol: LOVE Kefalonia too! ...but only been there 3 times! :lol: I quite liked Skiathos...the town is lovely! We were a bus/taxi ride away..but used to get the water taxi into town every night.
If you like to get out and about there is lots to see on Crete and also on Kefalonia.
Par......................................oops!! sorry Gail I nearly did it again!
Mark,

You'll find quite a few islands described and compared on my web site. Although this is written mainly to guide sailors preparing a cruise intinerary, there's quite a bit of stuff useful for shore visitors.

For really interesting places, you need to go to an island which does not have an international airport, or to the mainland (Peloponese - resorts fed from Kalamata). If you're considering DIY, my site will also help.

Reading between the lines, you'd probably enjoy Naxos. Very lively in the harbour, with a delightful old town, and lovely beaches nearby, though the 'holiday area' of hotels and apartments just south of town is rather cramped. Otherwise, as others have suggested, try W Crete, close to Chania, the least spoilt part of the island. If you're into DIY, consider Syros, a small island with a big Greek population, few tourists and many small, quiet beaches. The Peloponese may be a little quiet for you.

Knowing a bit about your preferences and priorities will help. Beaches/nightlife/comfort level/quaint old towns/tourist influence/ancient sites/whatever . . . gissa clue or two.

JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/ - comparing areas of Greece and describing the south west Peloponese.
One word...........Kefalonia.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.