Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
AJsunny,

Welcome onboard :tup
That's a tough choice! Having been to all those islands, I would say St Lucia or Antigua would be my top two choices. All are great though and really depends what you want out of the holiday really. eg night life, any specific activities, history, culture etc.

Darren
Thanks for your reply Darren,

Looking for an all inclusive resort really on a nice beach, as we only have to pay for hotel & transfers, not bothered to much of nightlife really (we are boring), just nice things to do in the day time just to chill out, see some sights locally & an adult resort would be a bonus.

Funny the two you like are the only ones I haven't bothered to look at in great detail, we got married in Jamaica years ago & stayed at the Wyndham Rose Hall which is now the Hilton I believe, Cant afford that this time though. ;)
Waiting for the flights to come out for the Dominican Republic as I have found great bargains there for next March/April 2015. :sun2
HI AJsunny...

We've been to all of those as well... each is uniquely different..

It would help if you could give us some kind of idea as to what you're expecting..

Adults only?
All inclusive?
Quiet/busy daytime?
Quiet or busy nightlife?
Excursions/things to see?
Good beach or pool?
Price limit for your hotel?

So much to take into account...

Come back to us and I'm sure that we'll have some ideas for you :tup

ATB,J.
Hi, thank you soo much

All inclusive would be perfect,
somewhere on a beach but also a pool,
excursions in the day time,
night life nothing too rowdy,
Adults only resort would be great,
A spa resort (that would be nice)

I have seen some hotels that do yoga, scuba diving etc this would be amazing, the prices we can afford up to per room for two adults I have seen are $130 a night (sorry that should be in sterling not dollars my keyboard doesn't have the English pound sign) :wink

AJ
In my (limited) experience - Most expensive = Barbados - AI hotels, restaurants very pricey
Best value = Dom. Rep. - certainly cheapest AI for good standards
Best beaches = Antigua
Felt least safe = Jamaica - didn't venture out of hotel much!

Haven't been to St Lucia -altho' really want to go!!
Couples Swept Away, Negril on 7 mile beach. Sunsets to die for. Typical Caribbean furnishings, not all glitz and glamour. AI, Couples over 18 only. All sorts of sports and some excursions included in the price incl scuba, water skiing (with tuition) golf, 25 metre lap pool plus 2 pools, jacuzzis, spa, gym, jogging track, classes, tennis, squash, sunset catamaran cruise, glass bottom boat excursion. Flag service on the beach :) Stocked mini bars. Plenty of payable excursions as well.
That's exactly what we are looking for.

Let's see if I can get a bargin with it thank you.
Pretty much agree with comments by brewerdave , just to add that St Lucia prices are similar to Barbados ( west coast )
March/April are not the cheapest times of year , but I'm sure you can find something , somewhere for £ 130 a night per room , but perhaps not in St Lucia for AI , on a beach , couples type , etc .
My upcoming warm weather break ( Late March in St Lucia ) is slightly more than £130 per person per night .

Best bets are DR , Jamaica and south coast Barbados .
Found a hotel in DR barcelo bavaro beach it looks amazing, googled it for prices & it cheaper to book direct with the hotel £1387 or booking.com £1987 7 nights in superior ocean front all inclusive what a difference.

Gone way over my original budget but hey free transfer if we book with the hotel direct..... Has anyone been here ?
Thanks AJ
just came back from samanna in the DR which was great and very safe. stayed in porto platta a few years ago and whereas the resort was nice it was not safe to go outside the resort. so do lots of research into the area of the DR you want to stay.
stayed in porto platta a few years ago and whereas the resort was nice it was not safe to go outside the resort

:think We stayed in Puerto Plata (same place???) 3 years ago and found it perfectly safe to go from the resort in to the centre of Puerto Plata and look around the town and the small brightly coloured shops, do some shopping, going up the cable car is a must and there are lovely gardens on the top of the mountain, walk along the front, we also wandered around San Felipe Fort, can recommend going to a cigar factory shop and watching them make cigars which from a non smoker certainly smelled lovely, oh there is also a Rum Distillery in Puerto Plata and they made a very nice rum that is matured in Jack Daniels barrels and you could taste the JD in the rum.

I certainly wouldn't want to go to any resort that you could not leave and if you want it is easy to find a local guide who would give you a tour and stay with you.
I love Jamaica and Barbados, both are beautiful Islands :-)
hi kiltman I cant remember the name of the hotel we stayed at it was with first choice. we were in a gated golf resort which contained about 4 hotels a shopping centre,golf course and beach..
none of the locals could get into the area and we were all told not to venture out alone.
I do remember going on a trip and when we went through the town it looked very poor and not clean.
nothing like the small town of samana.
this was about 10 years ago mind !!!
Hi all,

Just to let you know I have ended up booking Mexico for next year, when I came to book the flights we realized they would let us fly to Cancun..... so we have booked Hotel 'Secrets by Vine Cancun', we have spent a lot more than I planned but it had all what we wanted, but first we have Florida in 3 weeks to look forward too.......thanks for all your posts though........happy holidays to you all :)
hi sunny don't know the hotel your in but cancun beach is to die for !!! miles and miles of white sand.
We stayed at Secrets Maroma Beach (sister hotel of the Vine) last year ... very nice hotel and the beach was stunning.

Returned from Excellence, Punta Cana 3 weeks ago .. enjoyable holiday, good food and lovely beach, but for me Mexico wins hands down over the Dom Rep.

Would love to go AO to Negril, Jamaica but prices seem to be OTT, so may be back to Mexico again next year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.