General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Swimming pools
16 Posts
I personally don't swim in the hotel pools. Can't get the hair to messed up! Seriously though, I'm not a great swimmer and would rather lounge by the pool with a good book and a drink. My hubby and children though are never out of the pool when on holiday and spend many happy hours splashing around having fun and swimming. They also get involved in any activities going on. At the Holiday Village in C'an Picafort in October I hardly saw them. The weather was fantastic and there was always some type of activity going on in the pool and surrounding area. Bliss :D
Of course I swim in the pools......that's what they are there for. During the day I have a splash about with the bairn but when it's a bit quieter I try and swim for a while.Then again, it depends on how big the pool is.
I don't like pools very much and never have done. i hate it when there is no sea near by and have to use one. The chlorine makes me itch and come out in spots and my hair is a tangled mess. I love the beach and sea, there is nothing better than to pull my sunbed down to the sea waters and sunbathe by the red sea :lol: only 7 days to go, oh and people watch.

Michelle x
While I like to be as near to the beach/sea as possible, I actually prefer the pool. I hate getting sea water in my mouth when a big wave comes over :yuck and sea water makes me feel all "sticky" until I've had a good shower.
Last year in Turkey we went on a jeep safari which took us to a lovely isolated beach, it was so hot, there was nothing to do other than get in the sea, up to the chin, for the hour we were there. When we got back to the hotel later on, I took my bikini off and a pile of sand fell onto the bathroom floor :shock: I don't like the sea... but I do like to look at it :)
I make full use of the hotel pool and go in for a dip whenever I start to feel too hot in the sun, it's handy, it doesn't taste quite as nasty as the sea and there's always a shower at the poolside (and also a bar...) I'm not too fussy about getting hair wet, I'd be washing it anyway with being hot and sweaty all day.
i always have a swim in the pool

or the best you can have a swim with all the people that are in them

its a great way to cool down
nothing better after a hot day sight seeing than to come back to your hotel pop on swimmers and down to pool. feet and body in cool heaven. then ice cold drink and iced lolly, literally chill out,snooze or read ,lovely aahh nothing like it. 8)
We love the sea and usually our holidays are beach based. However, last year our daughter didn't like the sea and got quite panicked in it so we spent all day, every day in the pool with her playing with her boat and inflatables.

It is sometimes difficult to actually swim in the pool depending on the amount of people in it but you can try. The best time for swimming is early in the morning say around 8.00am when the kids are still having breakfast !!

Sarah :)
One of our key requirements when booking our accomodation is a large pool. we like to have plenty of room as we spend most of the day in and around the pool. I try to swim for a while after letting my breakfast and lunch digest, just to help burn those extra calories that I consume during the fortnight away. The cool water is a blessing in the scorching August heat!
One of the advantages of staying at a private villa with pool is that you can do bombing to your hearts content and not bother people or get told off.

Sunbear aged 8 err 48.
:lol: Sunbear!!
Sounds like my son - if "bombing" was an olympic sport he'd be on the England team! And then you get thise grumpy sorts who get the sunbeds right next to the pool and complain when they get wet - in a family hotel - with daytime pool activities...
Actually, that's another reason why we like to stay around the pool, the type of hotels we go to always have plenty going on around the pool in the day, it passes the time and you get to know loads of people.
We always look for a hotel with a large pool -it's one of our priorities as I'm in & out of it all day long. We much prefer it to the beach. Hubby isn't a strong swimmer and I hate all the salt from the sea drying my skin out. Even when we go on city breaks at other times of the year we try to find a hotel with an indoor pool. I love a nice dip after a day of sightseeing while the OH relaxes in the sauna.
Got to stick to the pools with three kids - dont want them getting washed away! :shock:
I go in the sea myself on boat trips etc but the kids dont.
I actually burnt the back of my legs one year after swimming in the sea in fuerteventura, my legs were under the water the whole time, I couldn't bend my legs for a day or so afterwards it was awful. :oops:
Read Which Guide on hotel swimming pools many are filled with various germs much holiday sickness is caused by them
:( :cry:
Unfortunately true Kath, but in some places the sea is worse :yuck
I swim every day in the hotel pool - but only before breakfast or when there is no-one else in there. I am not anti-social - just not a very good swimmer and I panic if my face gets covered with water. Only once have I been told by a hotel that I cannot swim early and that was 10 days into a 14 day holiday. Wondered why no-one mentioned it before as the same guy had spoken to me every morning whilst I was trawling up and down the pool!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.