Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
I am sure that people will be able to give you tips on this but I didn't have any problems getting stuff for a two week old baby - and that was in the late 80's and things have certainly improved since then.

Assuming that you will be staying in one of the resort areas, there's bound to be a supermarket and chemist nearby where you will be able to get everything that you need.
With regards travelling with your 7 month old baby, if possible make sure you take enough nappies and powdered baby milk with you, assuming you are not breast feeding :D

These items are terribly expensive in the resort of tenerife. We have been travelling to the island for 22 years and we have two children aged 12 and 5 who were both there when they were babys.
Completely agree with the prvious post, nappies and milk are expensive and you may not always get the same brand you are used to. I had that in malta when my first daughter was 1, she got a little bit of the trots and the nappies we could get where a little big. Remeber your suitcase may be a litle heavier going , but it will be a lot less when you come home !!! Always take ample in your hand luggage and baby bag, just in case the plane is delayed a little !!

Also take there best toys ( but the smallest !!! ), you'll have a great time
I took my 4 month old daughter and found no problems.
I would suggest you buy some cartons of ready made milk and some disposable steri bottles in case you are delayed at the airport.

We took a little floatie thing with holes for the legs which came in very handy for the water.

Take something warm as many pubs will make you sit outside with a pram, and also a little fan you can attatch to the pram to help with the heat.

Nappies and wipes are readilly available if a bit pricey, but you must think of your baggage allowance...is it cheaper to pay extra for nappies then
pay excess baggage fee.

There are some nice little pots of baby food in the supermarkets
pureed fruit.
in fact we gave my daughter her first taste in tenerife. !!!!

Have a good holiday love!!
We travelled with our son when he was 4 months old and had a great time.

As said above, prepared cartons of milk and steribottles for the flight, plan for upto 24 hours travel time (worst case) remember to have the same for the return flight.

For the flight at take off and landing we just gave him a bottle to save his ears blocking and getting sore.

At 7 months you will be starting real food so take some that you know your weeone will like and also some of the fruit purees.

Plenty of factor 25+ lotion, sun hat but the best thing we took was one of those pop up sun tents, very light and we stored it in the pram as this was carried by the airline for free (we stored a lot of heavy items in the shelf below the pram...whisky,vodka, beer... :) ).

The pram itself was a large pram big enough for him to sleep in instead of a cot, but also meant he was comfy where every he slept.

Good walking shoes as you wont get much chance to sit and sunbathe.

If only things were going to be this easy this year, we are planning on september just before he is 2 and I plan for a heck of a lot of running around after him, swimming etc so no sitting and sunbathing. Can't wait!!

Have a good holiday.
Hi there, my partner and I are taking our son to Tenerife in July. I need advice on travelling with baby in general.Any parents out there have tips on alleviating ear popping pain? Also can we hire a buggy in Tenerife? Best places to visit with baby in mind? Our son will be fifiteen months at time of travelling,any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Dyan
:)
Hiya,

We took our daughter to Spain last July when she was 17 months and managed a hundred times better than we thought we would! Here's a few tips....

Regarding the pushchair, i'd advise you to take your own if you can as you'll use it in the airport.... we took our own M&P Pulse buggy (size of a normal buggy), with us and they only took it from us at the door of the plane to put it in the hold. They gave it back to us as we left the plane. (we travelled out with Thomson and back with Monarch but it would be worth calling your airline to check their procedure re buggies). (we bought a canopy to go on the buggy rather than an umbrella as it covers them from the sun better). it's worth mentioning that if you have a slightly bigger pram, I did notice bigger ones being put onto the plane so you could check with your airline to see if they would accept yours...

Our LO was well behaved on the plane itself, we took about three new toys and books with us and brought them out one by one as she got bored of them, then she fell asleep. (incidentally, her favourite thing the whole flight was a cheap set of stacking cups!)

Don't know if your son will still be having bottles but our daughter was so we filled about four up with the correct amount of water and took the tin of baby milk and made them up as and when we needed them.

we made enquiries before we went as well about taking our travel cot, we have the traditional type that weighs about 10kg and thought we'd have to purchase one of the 'pop up bubble' type ones, but in the end although it was included as part of our luggage allowance we decided to take our own and we managed fine for weight.

one thing we did buy and used an awful lot was a first Steps inflatable high chair seat - you can get them from argos for about £20 or on ebay for less. They are a little self inflatable seat that straps onto almost any adult chair turning it into an instant highchair - it folds up to the size of a child's lunchbox - really handy!

something else we bought for the trip was a small pop up beach tent - this was ideal for taking to the beach or even around the pool. ours folded to the size of a big umberella. we put it up and it was somewhere to put our daughter for her nap if we were out and about for the day, or somewhere clean, dry and sand-free to get her changed etc - a godsend! (ours cost about £12 from ebay)

thats all I can think of for now, but if you want to ask any more specific questions then go ahead. Were' off to Tenerife ourselves in a few weeks, our daughter is 22months now but we'll still be employing the same tactics!

angel x

[/list]
Oops, forgot to mention that we took a baby-orientated first aid kit in our hand luggage with antiseptic wipes etc etc just in case. we also took a bottle of Medised and a tube of dentinox with us in case of any teething pain while we were away...
Hi dimples :D One tip that might be handy for you - take a cheap (pound shop) inflatable paddling pool. This can be filled with shallow water and some little cups/boats etc to play with on the beach or at the pool and distracts little'un from the big pool or sea. Also, if your hotel room doesn't have a bath you can put the paddling pool in the bottom of the shower cubicle to make a safe 'baby' bath :wink: There are some more tips on THIS thread
Once you have packed all those things remember to take an extra couple of hundred pounds to pay for the excess baggage charges.
Daverock - don't know whether you're joking or not with your comment but the suggestions made - mine imparticular, were of items (our travelcot excluded) that weigh as little as possible. I spent months before we took our daughter away, researching not only the best things to take, but also the lightest.

But even after taking the extra bits and pieces, we were UNDER our total baggage allowance and not over it as you suggest.

To the OP - if you DO find that your uaual heavy travelcot weighs too much, look into getting a 'twin arc' - this is a cot that campers use that weighs just 3kg and packs neatly into your suitcase.....
I was joking Angel
Hi,
I took my first baby on holiday to Tenerife when she was 3 months old no problem.

The best thing for ear popping in baby is to give them a bottle etc they need to suck just like we do but we usually have a sweet.

I would take your own buggy as if you are delayed at the airport you would really need this.

As for a travel cot im sure you will be able to get a hire cot here, i did.

Best thing is not to fuss to much or you will bring stuff you dont need.

Anyway im sure you will have a great holiday even if you bring the kitchen sink lol!

Madre
Our little one went to tenerife at 16 months. Apart from a bout of Laryngitis (which she took with her), she had a fabulous time and so did we!

(BTW, in respect of this, in case you are worried about healthcare for your child whilst you are there, you need not worry. We took her to the Hospital in Las Americas and it was truly excellent - way beyond anything we've had in the UK. They spoke perfect English, could not do enough for her, and she was better in record time. After this, we had no fears at all about travelling there. Just make sure your little one has travel insurance).

For ear popping on the 'plane, we found that her dummy was all she needed to give her relief. We gave it to her as we started to descend and she had no problem at all.

You can buy a surprising amount of baby stuff in the shops there, but wipes are inordinately expensive so if you can sneak a few packs in, it's good to do so.

The hotels we have stayed in all have baby cots, and they are fabulous and very safe. The Spanish are far more advanced than we are in this respect. We took our own travel cot the first couple of times, but then stopped as we didn't need it.

You can hire buggies, but like the others we took our own and had no problem with this. If you can, take a sunshade for the buggy as well as it will help block out the sun, which can be fierce.

We took a lot of bottles and stuff, but our daughter was off formula and onto organic milk by then, and we just bought a fresh carton of organic cows milk from the supermarket every day and kept it in the minibar. The hotels also bent over backwards to help as they love kids.

Our daughter is now 2.75 years old and has been four times. She loves the place, and we are heading back there soon. I hope you and your little one have a great time.

Hope that helps,
Gary D
Took our then 7 month old to Tenerife in November last year.

Her travel cot is like small tent and rolls up small enough to fit inside a small holdall, but it's more sturdy than the pop up types. Her clothes went in the same bag.

Her maxi cosi car seat fits her Quinny Zapp buggy so we could take the pushchair and the car seat with us. The buggy also goes in it's own bag so no danger of damage on the plane.

Remember changing bags don't count as luggage and they hold loads so take advantage of it.

Good luck keeping a 15 month old entertained for 4+ hours!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.Your advice has been very helpful.

Dyan :)
dont see to much mention of baby sun block as long as you have that with you ,you can just about hire or buy anything else there , baby sun block abroad tends to be a lot dearer, most hotel/resturaunts have high chairs good advise though to take your own buggy ,and if your child is still on bottles a small travel kettle to make and sterilise them is really handy

bluepeterno1
can anyone advse how easy it is to get formula milk for babies in supermarkets around costa adeje gran hotel. taking 8 mth old grand daughter on 13th march for one week. Also can I take a bottle of milk on plane for her.
We took some formula, but found both dried and made up in the local Spar. You should be OK taking a bottle on the plane - you may have to taste it. Pre mixed formula was not permitted, unless you could open it and decant it into a bottle.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.