Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
You won't be able to take any fresh food like meat or cheese, but why would you to when it will be half the price and double the quality in Ibiza?
Hi
I was thinking more along the lines of pasta, rice sugar and cereals not fresh stuff. Mind you would be nice to find some proper english bacon out there as never found any in spain just some really thin very fatty sliced stuff in a yellow packet.

Lee
A couple of times I have been asked to take english cheese and bacon into Spain and didn't have a problem. I know of quite a few people who visit relatives in Spain who take a variety of foods with them and haven't had problems. I take cheese to Germany two or three times a year and I carry it in my hand luggage and the customs people have never said anything when they have seen it.
The only time there has been a problem was when we had the foot and mouth scare last summer.
L-G I posted just as you did. No there isn't a problem with taking dried stuff, the only problem is that it will weigh your case down.
I checked the legality of what I posted as I know that people (including myself) have taken meat and cheese into Spain but wasn't sure of the legality. Apparently it is illegal to import any animal based foods into Spain the only exception being baby formula.
pasta, rice, sugar and cereals

can all be purchased in ibiza and you can buy bacon as thick as you like - i recommend a number 3 or 4 slice on the bacon slicer. as casper says you'll find the quality of spanish beef, pork ,chicken and lamb to be much much better than in britain and you pay mostly for the meat not water!!! if you really want english bacon then peter the butcher in port des torrent is your man.

sdII
hi lg having 4 fussy eating kids we have taken steak,sausage,bacon,pork etc into all of the balearic isles with no problems at all,as for the weight factor we always put them in a freezer bag which we check in them take it to excess baggage and we have never been charged for it,in fact having a laugh and joke with customs about it coming out of the x-ray machine half cooked.hope this helps,ps check with your airline or airport about charges as i know some will charge you.
Why don't you all just try buying and using local produce during your holidays. After all travel is all about experiencing new things not taking England with you. I am sure that your "fussy kids" will enjoy eating Spanish food after they haven't eaten for a few days.
why would anybody want to starve there kids for two days just so they could eat authentic spanish food :( :( it's their holiday as well....you'll make a lovely parent casperslide
possibly because spanish food contains a fraction of the chemicals and additives that british food has. we don't have jamie oliver preaching to us on spanish telly, we don't have 'honey we're killing the kids,' and we don't have the problems of obesity that britain and the usa have.

the mediterranean diet is considered one of the best in the world health wise and maybe one day your kids would thank you for encouraging them to try it???

sdII
Hi
Well I'm a fussy 29 yr old eater and not ashamed to say it. I personally will not be trying any of the local cusine and will be sticking to what I know and enjoy. I only queried it as I know they dont have Asda price over there :D Yes I'm probably unadventurous but I spend my money to enjoy myself and so will eat what I know and like. Is there a Burger King in San An now ?

Thanks to everyone for their input

Lee
you're in luck. there is a burger king in san an - right next to one of the island's best delis - casa alfonso, where you'll be able to buy fresh frozen british bread!!!

and here's my tip. never try to put imperial british bread into a new fangle metric toaster - you have to trim the crust off so it will fit!!!

sdII
spottdogII wrote:
possibly because spanish food contains a fraction of the chemicals and additives that british food has. we don't have jamie oliver preaching to us on spanish telly, we don't have 'honey we're killing the kids,' and we don't have the problems of obesity that britain and the usa have.

the mediterranean diet is considered one of the best in the world health wise and maybe one day your kids would thank you for encouraging them to try it???

Thanks for the support but you are wasting your time. Leave them to their burgers and chips.
my kids are all over 12 aren't fussy eaters and when we're there we do nothing but eat traditonal spanish food always go to cas pages,san carlos grill and now c.on caus aswell at least once and more usually twice on our hols...............all i was pointing out is the fact that it's a bit extreme to starve a child for 2 days while it's on holiday
We've had this difference of opinion on the site many times and if member ask a question about taking food of their choosing, abroad then a simple answer to their question will suffice (thank you Judith for investigating the legalities :tup ) Each to their own.
that's hardly thinking out of the box, is it?? i don't think a 'no you can't' answer the the poster's question helps at all. there are plenty of alternatives and other information that could be added that would help her and others. eg you can buy excellent, healthy food in ibiza at prices probably cheaper than in britain so no need to bring your own would be perhaps a more sympathetic answer???

or am i wrong?

sdII
That's exactly it Spottydog - it's the way things are phrased sometimes on forums that can lead to misunderstandings. To express ourselves in writing, can sometimes be very difficult as your tone of voice etc cannot be heard. That's why on forums for eg we have to be more careful that our meanings can't be taken the wrong way.

Helpful advice is brilliant :tup but sometimes care has to be taken that it doesn't come across, unintentionally, as a 'lecture' :wink:
good. mines a pint then - finest english bitter. can anybody bring me one?

sdII
I'll bring you one.You'll have to wait to July though,and it might be warm and flat :cheers
dosn't the queen vic in santa eu have draught john smiths???? :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.