Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
taxis
17 Posts
http://www.holiday-malta.com/resort/malta/transport/index.html

incase you can't access the link, Qawra is MTL10 - as it says on the website "the following Table as taken from official Government Tariff and Commercial rates for One Way Malta - Airport Taxi or mini van transport/transfers to villages around the Maltese islands. All Taxi or mini van Rates are inclusive of up to 4 persons and normal sized luggage all week including Sundays and Public holidays"

its cheaper if you book in advance by phone - am I allowed to give a number ??
I don't know if you are allowed to give a number, but you could send it to tigerlilly via a private message.

:D
Bongu Mark, I donn't see why you can't give the number out as it will obviously be of benefit to people using these forums which is of course what they are for.

Ghodwa gurnata
Sliema2
I will go with your judgement, and post the numbers for two firms I have used

21520109/21523914

21551423/99829190(mobile)

as an example, they charge LM8 for airport to Cirkewwa, rather than the official LM13.
Thanks Mark, I am sure that this will be very helpfull to many people using these forums, if anyone is planning to dial from the uk please remember to use the Malta/Gozo dialling code of (00356) then the rest of the number.

Sliema2
Hi Tigerlily,

We were in Malta during last month and hired a taxi to take us from our hotel in Qwara to the airport and it cost LM10,

Trev
Thanx to all who answered this post, I am hoping to visit Qawra in May for a weekend, I have never been before so all tips and hints welcome. Do the maltese use landing cards at the airport?And what is the best choice Sterlng or travellers cheques? Current exchange rate?
1. no landing card if EU citizen (now Malta is in EU)
2. I use credit cards at ATMs - not sure between £ and TCs
3. £1.6= 1LM

don't know Qawra - I moved to Gozo from the UK 2 years ago, and rarely go to Malta unless its to the airport :D
did you mean you are coming to Malta for just a weekend, or spending a weekend in Qawra ??
Its just a 3 night stay in Qawra courtesy of last minute.com was a prize on a fanta promotion.

tigerlilly
Hi Tigerlilly, are you planning to go sight seeing while you are in Qawra ?, cos if so I would happily give you a few ideas of places to visit during your short trip.

Regards
Sliema2

PS, if I were you I would use my cash card in the ATM'S just as you would at home, there are loads around, notably Bank of Valletta (BOV) and HSBC, even though we have a BOV account we have often used our uk cash cards in Malta and never had any problems.
Hi Sliemma

Cheers for your reply, yes a few ideas for sightseeing would be good thanx although won't be able to fit to much in as the flights are arriving late afternoon and departing first thing but your ideas are most welcome

tigerlilly
Hi, ok well here are 3 must do things to fill 3 days for your first visit to Malta.

1) Valletta, the historical capital city built by The Knights of St John, bus numbers 49,58, 59, 449, 499 from Qawra / Bugibba.

2) Mdina, ancient former Roman and Arabic capital of Malta, bus number 86 from Qawra / Bugibba.

3) Marsaxlokk, very pretty fishing village in southern Malta, great big outdoor market every sunday selling all sorts of things and a smaller one every other day, bus numbers 427, 627 from Qawra / Bugibba.

Have fun
Sliema2
Hi Tigerlily,

Our first visit to Malta was also a three day one in 1981. We stayed in Sliema at the end of October and it was scorching hot! We had a great time and I do think that that visit sold Malta to us because we've loved going there ever since.

I wished there was someone like Sliema2 around in those days because three days goes very quickly and his advice is excellent. I hope you visit the places he suggests since it really does sound like a good itinerary and I hope it gives something of the flavour of this wonderful Island and like us you will return for a longer stay in the future!

Enjoy your time there and let's know what you think,

Trev
Hi Trevor, thank you very much for what you said, you have such a vast knowledge of Malta and contribute so much to this special forum that your very kind words are most appreciated.

Best wishes
Sliema2
Hi Trev and Sliema

Thanx for the good advice I will endever to put this to good use when we get there. looking forward to this wee break. 8) The weather here has turned chilly, so thinking of sunny blue skies to come.

Cheers Tigerlilly x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.