General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Have read this thread with interest, I don't hink tipping should be oblitory (sp), and don't know about USA have never been. I would say that I ususally do tip. In restuarants if paying by debit card I will settle the bill then tip the waitress herself - unless I have received bad service or not enjoyed the meal etc. I do tip taxi drivers in this country and abroad and my hairdresser gets a tip too - all of which because I want to not because I have to.

Oh not sure if you class as tipping but at Xmas I always give the 'bin men',not surre if that is the PC name for the name, a little something - this was something my Mum always did and I have just carried on.
Oh not sure if you class as tipping but at Xmas I always give the 'bin men',not surre if that is the PC name for the name, a little something - this was something my Mum always did and I have just carried on.

My parents always did the same Pinkie . I've never been so generous with them though and usually hide when I hear the very loud knock whilst they deliver the christmas collection dates leaflet through the letterbox .
To be fair though it's normally because I havnt any cash . I would happily give them a cheque but dont think they would be impressed . :)

We are going to cuba next year .first time we have flown long haul so I will have to read up on tipping expectations in greater depth before we go .

lyn
When I first came across the tipping regime in the USA I asked an American friend about their minimum wage rules 9I seem to recall that we copied them on this) and he told me that although they had laws about minimum wage most employers ignored it and just paid what they could get away with, thus the waiters are just given a couple of dollars per hour to hang around inside the building and make their pay on tips! I was also told that the waiter/waitress has to pass on some of their tips to the bussboys (table clearers) and other staff who contribute to the meal.
Just back from Orlando and had a brilliant holiday. All my fears about tipping were totally unfounded and we were quite happy to tip for good service which meant most of the time and I found that everyone we tipped were very grateful and acknowledged this. My hubby can be a right scrooge but he was the one who took charge of tipping everyone, we didn't do it by percentage but just what we felt was right at the time and nobody was upset or harrassed us. I did notice though that very few (if any) Americans gave tips while on the buses/shuttles or in restaurants.
I can't help but notice a 'double post' that doesn't have the first post in front of it ... i sincerely hope this thread hasn't been edited by the moderators as i didn't think anyone was being over-harsh, just expressing differences of opinions
No posts have been edited nor deleted from this topic. If they have a note will be made in the edited post or a post will be made explaining something has been deleted.

MarkJ HT Mod
fwh wrote:
This was rather interesting in The Sunday Times travel section.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article6907203.ece

fwh

Yes I read that. Mind you it didn't say te obvious and that is that the cruise lines should pay their staff a living wage and leave the tips to our discretion.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.