Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
As Turkey isn't in the EU it is 1 litre of spirits and 200 cigs per person over 17.

I can't help with resorts as I go to Marmaris which is a 1hr 30min transfer but there is closer to resorts but depends what type of resort you want! :)
Hi Jules,

If you let us know a little more about what you like from a holiday we may be able to give you a few ideas. Are you looking for a quiet resort or a very lively one?

If you don't like long transfers though most of the resorts on the Bodrum Peninsula are fairly short, around an hour or less.
We dont want a really lively resort which is full of 18 to 30 ( no offence intended ) but dont want anything to quiet either, probably not much help really has an example we really like palma nova but dislike magaluf. Hope you can help.

Jules
Ok, well on the Bodrum Peninsula you could look at Turgutreis or Bitez, these are both smallish resorts, no 18-30s, clubs, nosiy bars etc. instead they have a good selection of restaurants and bars, good accomodation and decent beaches. Bitez is roughly 15 minutes away from Bodrum and Turgutreis around 30 minutes so you would be close enough to go in for shopping, sight seeing or for the odd evening out if you fancied.

I hope this will give you an idea to start looking.

Kedi
Hi Kedi. My friend is going to Turgutries in August for the second time. She raves about it. I've been looking for something for a week in June and Gumbet and Turgutries are coming up. Which resort would you recommend please?
We are a family of 3 and went to turkey for our first visit last summer, in august. We went to gumbet, and loved it, a great compact resort, with lots to do, lots of trips available and lots of local places to visit using the dolmus. Transfer time of about 50 minutes. Id reccomend it to anyone. Going back to turkey this year, to icmeler, though we were tempted to go back to gumbet as we all had such a good time. I hope we wont be dissapointed with icmeler :que feeling a bit nervous about it !
It depends when you are thinking of going. We are going to Turgutreis on the Bodrum peninsula this year but I can recommend Oludeniz if you like Palma Nova, Magalluf it isn't but still plenty going on and lovely scenery. Hisaronu is just a few minutes away by dolmus if you want a bit more choice of bars and restaurants but that is getting more like Magalluf every year in July and August but there are still nice bars as there is so much choice. The rest of the season it is fine, we have been going late May and late September/October for years! Hisaronu also has a market on Mondays and Fethiye (just down the hill) on Tuesday, there are lots of good day trips and boat trips from both, Olu and Hisaronu are good family resorts.
Turgutreis is smaller and quieter than Gumbet. Gumbet has lots more bars and is generally livelier, although you can still have a quiter holiday there should you wish it. We always go there with our 2 young children and have a wonderful time without going anywhere near the noisy bars.

They both have decent beaches. Gumbet is closer to Bodrum if you fancy going in for a day or for an evening and it is also a shorter transfer form the airport.

Kedi
Hi Kedi. How far is from Gumbet to Turgutreis please? Can get a good deal for Gumbet but dont mind paying the extra for Turgutreis if it is so much better :) . Thought if we decided on Gumbet we could go to Turgutreis for the day? Gx
It is about 30 minutes away so not too far, easy enough to go for the day.
Would you recommend Gumbet or Turgutreis? Thanks.
Well I prefer Gumbet because it is a lot closer to Bodrum and I have spent a lot of time there but Turgutreis is nice too. Which hotel have you got the good deal with in Gumbet?
There's a couple; the Jasmine and the Siesta?
Have a look at olu Deniz/ hisaronu too.Olu deniz is my favourite .

Icmeler would probably suit too but the transfer time may be a problem.
Both Jasmine and Siesta are very nice apartments, we have stayed at Siesta and we may go back this year. Both are right on the beach, practically next to door to each other, about 10 minutes walk along the beach to the resort centre and the bus to Bodrum stops right outside.
I recommend you marmaris,then you need to use dalaman airport with private transfer it takes 1,5 hours to be at your accommodation..
The OP has said she doens't want a really lively resort so I don't think Marmaris would be suitable as it is the biggest and liveliest resort you can find !!
My recommendations are Icmeler, Kalkan and Ovacik.

Les
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.