Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
You can take the matter to ABTA who will offer you their arbitration service. Unfortunately the decision is binding and therefore if you do not get the result you are after then you are stuck.

May I suggest you read through this topic.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=142919

MarkJ who is one of the HT moderators took action against First Choice last year after the premium seating paid for was not supplied. He had failed to get satisfaction when he tried to get back the money he had paid for a service not supplied. It may be that after looking at your options and comments from other members that you might consider doing the same thing.

Did you complete a complaint form in resort? Something very important when trying to resolve a problem on return. I do consider the excuse the rep no longer works for the company disingenuous. Bit late in the day but one thing I do recommend is to email the TO with any complaints whilst in resort. It establishes a paper trail. I did so with First choice last month - they replied 8 days later so shot themselves in the foot.

I personally think you are being very forgiving over the other problems.

fwh

fwh
Hello,
Now, I work for TC, but everything I say here is my own personal opinion and none of my companies.
So, am I right in thinking you got the premium cabin on the inbound flight, so technically you are due a refund for 1 outbound sector?
I personally wouldn't take a reps word for it, they don't have the authority to authorise that sort of refund, did you get it in writing from him, that you were going to be refunded both sectors? This would have been very useful in getting your point across.
TC don't have absolute control over hotels. Unfortunatley it is at the hotels discretion, as this may not have been classed as a major problem to them, but it still would have been nice to hear from TC about it, but again thats only if they knew about it too.
The outbound flight, cant comment as wasnt on it, though I do know that these individuals would have been prosecuted on return to the UK for being drunk on an aircraft, assuming they werent prosecuted in Mexico, as they cant be 'tried' twice. Sadly I fear the mexicans would have got to them first.
Whilst I whole heardtly agree with them not being allowed on board, its the groundstaffs decision to board them. The cabin crew usually have no prior warning of these, shocking but true. So unless you pointed it out to the cabin crew, then they probably wouldnt have known about them.
RE the change of aircraft, the boeing 767 isnt a small aircraft, which infers that you had to use a shorthaul aircraft, its a longhaul aircraft and was used as Airtours long haul aircraft for many years, they even went to Australia on it. It was just confiigured into a shorthaul seating config, but it has the range to service our longhaul destination. This does not hvae premium cabin, but I suspect that going on holiday within a reasonable delay (whatever one is nowadays) would have been preferable than to wait around for another A330 to land and become available, or to fix the A330 you were due to go out on, which could have delayed up to 12 hours or more.
I fear you may have to chalk this up to experience and accept a one way refund from them, but that certainly doesnt help you with what the rep tells you, and on behalf of TC I apologise for that.
I hope this was of some use to you.
Thanks Butterchickengirl for your reply

I've yet to find this out yet, but I've wrote to TC head office twice now and mentioned about the cheque that I received in Sept 09, it's a printed out cheque but I feel that this might not be valid now as the staff from my local branch strongly advised me not to pay it in until the issue is resolved.

Do you happen to know how long I have before the cheque becomes invalid and would it just be a simple case of contacting them again for a re-issue of the cheque?

TIA

Peter
I think you're right with the six month thing.
I reckon a quick ring would get them to reissue it again.
Once again, sorry you are getting messed about.
I'm a bit confused. Am I right in thinking you got a refund for the premium cabin outbound but not inbound as you travelled in the premium cabin on the way home?
If so why are you looking for a refund both ways?
Sorry if I'm beiong dim but I don't understand
You received a cheque which was due to you. The seating not being available on the outward leg has been refunded. You need to contact the issuer and explain that you have not cashed the cheque and ask them to reissue it.

The normal advice is that when a TO sends a cheque then you should not cash it as it will be considered as accepting it as settlement of your complaint. In this case it is not. It is money that is due to you under the T&Cs.

Your complaint is based on a comment made to you by a representative who is no longer employed in that resort. Or has he left the company? Was anything put in writing at any time? I suspect he no longer works for the company and simply made the comment to get you off his back - why it is so important to get it in writing - knowing his contract would not be renewed.

I would get the original cheque re instated and write the whole thing off to experience. I personally doubt you will get any further.

fwh
I would get the original cheque re instated and write the whole thing off to experience. I personally doubt you will get any further.

I tend to agree, without anything in writing there'll be no case unfortunately.

Brid, the reason the op wants a refund for the seats on both flights is because he had faith in the competence of the Rep who said they'd be given both refunds. Although they did provide correct seating on one of the journeys, I suspest the original poster wants to accept the payment in compensation of all the other problems he had to put up with.
personally think you are being very forgiving over the other problems

I agree .

they also had been in contact with the hotel and that they would offer us "free upgrades" should we choose to stay there again (hang on wouldn't this mean spending another £2000 with Thomas Cook

Ok I agree with the others about chalking the premium seating refund down to experience but surely the reply from TC above shows they have accepted responsibility regarding problems at the hotel. Isn't it their duty to notify travellers about building wotrks before departure so that they have some options.

I think you may well have more chance in getting the extra money back via this route . No you don't want a free upgrade you want some compensation but you must be specific about the amount you are requesting . Did you fill in a complaints form in resort ?
If the tour operator is a member of ABTA, they they are bound by the ABTA CODE OF CONDUCT (click here) to ensure that clients are alerted to any building works which may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of their holiday, and offer them the opportunity to transfer to alternative travel arrangements, if available.

If your Tour Operator notifies you too late for you to change your holiday then write to them asap and send by recorded delivery keeping a copy for yourself. State that you are accepting the holiday 'under duress' and are reserving the right to pursue a claim for compensation should this building work mar your holiday.

If you find yourself on a holiday which is being marred by building works then collect your evidence.

1) Report the matter to your rep and fill in a complaints form. Keeping a copy for yourself.

2) Take photographic evidence (using a separate roll of film - not one containing happy holiday snaps)

3) Take camcorder evidence - especially if noise is a problem.

4) Collect names and addresses of other holidaymakers who are complaining.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.