Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Surely this is breach of contract?

Why on earth would a hotel care if 3 people were in a 2 bedroomed apartment? Thomson's may care and therefore have charged you an under occupancy supplement at the time of booking was this the case?

I for one think you may have a case for a refund of your deposit but give Simpson Millar a call on 0808 145 1353 and say you are from Holidaytruths. You will be given free advice.
That is a very kind offer. Thank you. I will do that in the morning. Just to clarify, yes, we did pay the extra under occupancy for the two beds. I also phoned the hotel and asked them if we could stay. They agreed it was ok. It is Thomson who have 'apparently' been told that the contracts have changed and have had to write to all those with 3 people or under booking a two bed inter connecting apartment and offered those people twin rooms. We are really annoyed at the fact that this deposit is only a minimum amount to them and they can easily re sell the rooms. We are astonished.
In the meantime, we are looking for another holiday with family rooms and they are being snapped up as the weeks go by. We received a letter today from ABTA who state that they will be writing to Thomson and allow another 21 days.
Regards,

Christine and Terry.
It does depend on what the contracts say. We had this many years ago when we booked a one bed apartment for 3 and were allocated a studio on arrival. It was an RCI timeshare complex as well as a normal holiday complex. Apparently the contract with the tour op changed and one bed apartments were no longer available for 3 pax. These were allocated to RCI guests.
The tour op (Airtours) hadn't informed any of there customers. We were given £80 compensation on the spot and filled in a complaints form. They soon caught on and after a couple of days it was £80 or a complaints form, but not both. The poor rep nearly got linched. He disappeared a few days later lol.
krisandtel
It's not your fault that the contract has changed, although this, along with flight time changes, happens more when you book a long time in advance.
Your deposit should be refunded.
Hotels charge per room/apartment no matter if it's under occupied or not in my experience. (Although hotels may vary)

Years ago I confirmed this when the notice on the back of the hotel door displayed room rates, not occupancy rates. I remember posting in the Cyprus forum about this as it was clear that it was the Tour Operators who were charging for under occupancy (this even included sofa beds in the lounge) and not the hotels. Shortly after this friends and I booked 2 rooms in Majorca (direct with hotel). There was 2 of them in a 1 bed apartment and myself in another 1 bed apartment, we paid the hotel exactly the same amount for the rooms. So they paid less per person, whereas a TO would have charged me more :duh
It is good that we receive replies and peoples opinions from people. We don't want to start a mammoth message here but want to highlight the problem. This is an extract of the email we sent to Thomson on 26th Oct. Bear in mind we booked in May this year, some 5 months later.
we would like to thank you for posting the letter re the room change but one question has still not been answered from our previous email (below):- We have been informed by you that the Hotel will not allow three people in a family room. I can still book a family room for three people on your website, although the costs have risen considerably and it states that three rooms are still available, minimum 2 people and maximum 4 . (Screen snapshot taken 1347hrs on 26/10/10) and attached.

I wonder if this question could be answered by yourselves.

Please can you give us consideration that our deposit be refunded as soon as possible.

As stated in the email, we could book the same type of room in Ocotber.
As you say Glynis hotels are different. I have just emailed a hotel in Portugal about room rates for next April. We want a twin2, a twin3 and a single for 6 adults. The twin3 are a standard twin with a sofa type bed. Single €40 (single we had this year was a twin) Twin2 €52, Twin3 €75. So the twin rooms are not charged per room and the adult sleeping on the sofa bed only gets a €3 reduction off the full rate.

I can get these rooms far cheaper through a tour operator, so it goes to show how much, or how little, the tour ops are actually paying to the hotels.
Hi, I can tell u the exact reason why they changed there contract. I am not sure if you know but a family room at the hilton is not a 2 bedroom with 2 toilets, you actually get 2 apartments next door to each other

We stayed there in april 2010 and booked the family room, my wife and I and our son who was 1 and a half at the time booked a family room.

when we were taken to the rooms, they had given us 2 rooms, (apartments) not 1 room with 2 bedrooms, but 2 seperate rooms (apartments) next door to each other. when we explained this was no good as our son need to sleep in the same apartment as us, they took us to another family room.

this had 1 door, so we thought ok, we are getting somewhere, but when you opened the door, it was only a hallway entrance to another 2 doors and 2 apartments exactally the same as the previous ones.

these were both quite big and together could easy sleep 6 adults as that whats advertised in the brouchers. we explained this was still not suitable although we were getting 2 apartments we could have used both, ie two showers, 2 toilets, 2 mini bars, 2 of everything, it would just have been silly.

they then said the had 1 more family room and we followed. the ended up giving us a suite which was massive, it was the same size as the 2 apartments put together and had 2 balconys, 1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom, and they gave us a cot for the wee 1.

the hotel is the best we have stayed at in turkey, even better than the Barut Lara in Antalya. it has 34 different bars and restaraunts onsite and the food is amazing.

we even got a 3rd week free due to the the ash cloud in Iceland all paid for by thomas cook.

So i think thomsons only found out shortly after what a family room actually was and then changed there policy as they can take up to 6 adults
cheers

stephen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.