Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Absolutely agree with everything you have said and especially pricing.

Sue
Just returned from a week on the Thomson Celebration (brilliant, as usual) and decided to have a look at the Dream for next year. A week in late July for 3 adults and 1 child sharing a cabin with porthole works out at around £3,300. And that includes AI upgrade. Not much more than what I paid for the one I've just returned from.
The Thomson website doesn't show prices for the cabins above outside plus?? Is this because they have gone already?

Dangerman We just finished two weeks on the Celebration, first time on that ship for us, well pleased.
Hi all
Just picked up the preview edition brochure for the Thomson Dream May-Oct 2010 looks ok set up is as the Spirit/Cel for dining with prices about the same. Doing three itineraries in the Med one taking in Tunisia. Adults only in June Sept. Free all inc at the moment only showing on Thomson web or TA's.

Roger
booked a holiday for myself and partner on the ship for the last week in June 2010. Got all inclusive drinks package and flying from Glasgow for £1924. Don't get me wrong I don't think this is cheap however, I have been on two Thomson cruises before (the Destiny, formerly the Sunbird owned then by MyTravel) and the Thomson Spirit and had the best ever holidays on these boats. The Spirit was the best for us. I was with a friend and my two boys aged 12 and 8 at the time on the Spirit. Fantastic!!! It is true that with the Thomson boats being smaller in size they are more friendly. I also cruised 2 years ago on the Island Escape with my partner. It was good but nothing like the Spirit. I hope the Dream is even better. What is the attire for the night restaurant for the gents?
Hi Billy
I dont think anyone will know till next year but it looks the same as the Spirit, you will have to post when you return.
Regards
Roger
One of the other reasons Thomson are successful is they offer flights to join the cruises from a huge range of UK airports (e.g. 20 to Palma).
My husband and i have booked this ship for a cruise & stay ( Santa Lucia hotel palma nova ) for the beginning of Oct, we have all inclusive drinks package on the ship with an upgrade to deck 7 outside cabin ,we also have picked our cabin number, H/B in hotel, total cost £2,550.It was actually not much more to add the hotel for a week. Don't know if we got a bargain or not as we have never went with Thomson's before.
I have cruised with Thomsons four times Royal Caribbean twice and P&O and Saga once. Although
Royal Caribbean and P&O have larger and newer ships and obviously more opulent I found that the entertainment on Thomsons was by far the best. Although the ships are old and the cabins smaller, the crew were always a lot friendlier and the food just as nice as any of the so called big guns. I am in fact, looking at booking a 14 days cruise on the Thomson Dream with its all incliusive drinks package. I was on The P&O Ventura in July and found the entertainment very disappointing although the drinks prices on board were reasonable, I still spent over £500 in the 14 days, It took us nearly 4 days to reach our fist port Barcelona from Southampton, at least with the Thomson cruise I will fly straight to the sunshine. Roll on summer.
Booked to go on Med Explorer on the Dream departing 19th october 2010. Got a call yesterday to say that the ship will not be sailing back to Palma for us to fly home, but sailing back to Harwich! This means we are getting and extra night and day at no extra cost!! Thomsons have promised to honor the price, prebooked cabins and the free AI upgrade which we got at the time of booking and lay on transport from Harwich back to our departure airport. Not often you get something for nothing. ;)
Is anyone else on this cruise?
Hi jeccabean

You luck thing just don't forget they will not have to pay for the flight! i realise they will still have to get you back home but remember you have to go past the 'bay' which was ok when we went but can be very rough.
I still think i would be very happy with the extra days

Roger
thanks Rodger dodger!
Never thought about the fact they are saving on the price of a flight! :think
Hopefully the "bay" will be ok when we pass......having sailed on the destiny 3 years ago around the canaries in very rough seas we should be ok :tup
Really looking forward to going on the dream, it looks very nice from the pictures i have seen. We are on deck 6, outside plus cabin.
Hi again jeccabean
You will have to keep us informed, because it does look good with a similar set up to that of the Spirit, we would have liked to try it but have already booked 2 weeks Caribbean on Destiny in March and a week med on Spirit in Oct, i will be looking for any good prices.
I wonder if the Dream will be doing the Caribbean in 2010/11 and thats why they are relocating!!!!

Roger
Hi jaccabean.
You say you booked Med Explorer,,,looking on the Thomsons website i think they have changed the cruise to Spirit of Iberia.
You should have stopped at Livorno (Florence),Civittavechia (Rome),Villefrance (Monaco),Ajjaccio + Palamos (Barca).
Instead its stopping at Barca,Gibraltar,Lisbon,Vigo + Cherborg with an extra sea day probably across the Bay,Vigo to Cherborg.
Have they not informed you of change yet ?.
What happens if you have booked cruise only + booked extra couple of days in Palma say at end of cruise as i have several times. with Easyjet from Liverpool.
What happens to the flight cost, return from Palma say Easyjet/Ryanair ?.
What happens if you live in say Scotland + you have a LONG coach jouney all for an extra day at sea on an itinary you dont like ?.Don't forget the weather gets iffy once you get past Gib + into the Atlantic in October.
What happens if you booked Cruise + Stay.
This cruise is showing fully booked now or they have stopped taking bookings until they re price it as a 8 night cruise.They did this on a cruise from Liverpool last year,10 night to 11 night so they didn't have to pay 2 days port charges.
Johnny C
Suprise,Suprise this cruise is now back on the website as 8nt cruise,Spirit of Iberia.
Looks like they are in process of rebuilding site to take bookings,only shows basic price,£884 from Manchester with add ons,cabin upgrade=£100,A/I=£169 will probably come out at +£2400 for 2 people.Plus transport back from Harwich.
Dought you will get A/I upgade Thomsons finished that on 31st August.
Johnny C
  • Edited by johnny c 2009-10-05 12:27:32
We booked for 22nd June 2010 for one week, fee all inclusive upgrade, flying from Glasgow for £2124.
Hi Billy

I do hope that you have a great cruise and that you can tell me all about it for my turn in Oct :cheers
I certainly will let you know all about it.
Been into Thomsons today and i STILL dont know whats happening re my 19th onct 2010 cruise! The Spirit of Iberia itinery has now been withdrawn from the website, even though it was showing over the weekend! :scratch:
i will just have to wait and see. The annoying thing is there is a family group of us going and we had prebooked cabins together. They say all this will be honoured!
I will keep you all informed!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.