Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
The adult only policy for the Dream is probably because Thomson is doing very little to the ship until it has been tried and tested and they have the views of the early bookers in the Med. She is not due for a major refit until late autumn prior to the commencement of the Caribbean cruises which look very interesting. As for pricing, you just have to know WHEN to book. watch their web pages. There is a definite pattern. I personally have NEVER found a cheaper cruise line and they definitely suit us. I hope Thomson consider Alan Leach for captain of the Dream. He is simply the best.
Hi, Having just decided to book my 1st ever cruise (actually 1st ever package tour!!) on the Dream next Easter I've found your comments really useful. I've been thinking of cruising for ages but the cost put me off - main problem is having a teenage son as I get hit by adult charges for him but he's classed as a child still with Thomson. I'm not expecting luxury just a good holiday with 2 kids that goes to great places (always wanted to go to Pompeii & Rome). I've priced similar breaks on newer ships with other companies but for a family of 4 travelling in school holidays Thomson seems to be very difficult to beat - also the reviews I've seen of other ships have been fine.
A bit nervous whether we've done the right thing to book a cruise,I'm really looking forward to the reviews of the Thomson Dream now she's operational although at the end of the day I won't know whether it was a good move until we've been!
Well, I have been on the Thomson "Dream" and it is superb. It was used as a taxi to rescue us from Majorca so the shops and swimming pools were not open as it has not been commisioned yet. As I say it was used as a taxi to get us home, in style too. Ok the boat is over 20 years old but I can't really see what that matters. It's all down to price I guess. These boats are meant to last more than 25 years aren't they? I cannot see how anyone would be dissapointed with going on a cruise with the "dream". Book a trip with confidence. I would certainly use this boat.
I have booked for me and my boyfriend to go on the Thomson Dream Cruise for 1 week from the 21st September 2010. We are doing the Mediterranean Explorer intineray and got the free drinks package as we booked it on the 5th August 2009. We are very excited but also a little disheartened as we heard the ship was in an accident in February 2010. I've read thats its back at sea but has it been refurbished inside yet? I can't wait to read the reviews.
There are reviews from it's first couple of sailings on other sites- a few issues with lack of staff and facilities not open. Word is, so far, second sailing is better.

We're sailing on it at the start of July and can't wait...
I've book thomson dream for 3/8, can anyone tell me the dress code for men in the evening, is it trousers and shirt or can you wear shorts and polo shirts?
The dress code for main waiter service restaurant on Thomson ships is normally smart casual in line with other cruise lines. This can include polo shirts. Flip flops and shorts are no go. Smart dress,- suit, tuxedo or jacket with tie for formal nights Captains cocktail party (once a week). Lido self service no code except swim wear is not allowed.
Hi all just read on another site that thomson have cut their allinclusive drinks package down to what is advertised, does anyone have any more info on this? The customer had just returned from a cruise on the T Dream.
Have been in our local Thomson shop today and one of the staff has just returned from Dream mini cruise for staff. The all inclusive drinks package is now a rip off (unless free) there are now only a handful of drinks that are free, the rest are 50% off. The free drinks now are wine by the glass, own brand spirits, cocktail of the day and long island ice tea. Having sailed on the Destiny in April all cocktails except a few were free and so were premium spirits like Bombay saphire gin. Don't know if Thomson have just introduced the restrictions on the Dream ? I certainly wouldn't be paying extra for the all inclusive package now.
yes I would like to know answer to this too, we were on Destiny at Easter and found AI brilliant, you could have pretty much any cocktail,and most spirits,I would have to think twice about next year if things have changed.
We have booked a cruise on the new Thomson Dream in the first week of August. However, just about every review I have read is horrendous.So much so that we are thinking of cancelling. Does any one out there have any personal experience of the Dream?
We've booked the Dream for an August cruise and are a bit worried about the negative reviews. However there are also some decent reviews and there is plenty of time for them to sort problems out. I'm quietly confident!
The latest review was just put on the cruise critics. co. uk website today, i thought it was useful for us worried people going on this cruise, unfortunately it is bad news for the All inclusive drinks package!!!
  • Edited by x_Stef_x 2010-05-13 21:39:07
We are about to cruise on the Dream 18th May 2010 for 2 weeks and after reading the terrible reviews not looking forward to it at all. We have paid £190.00 per person per week for the drinks package what a rip off. I have been with Thomson Celebration twice and Spirit twice the Spirit is by far the best!!! There has been a wide range of choice on the drinks package a choice of 36 cocktails last year. I am going down to Thomson later to get a refund on the drinks package! I will post a review on my return promise.
Hi all
Just checked with Thomas Cook about the all inc they contacted Thomson and have reported back that although they did reduce the package for a time, which they stated was still a good deal, they have now reinstated the 'old' all inc because of complaints etc. We have booked the Dream for next year
But only time will tell!!!!!
Roger
Just back from a cruise on the Thomson Dream. Shabby is the only word to describe the facilities. The ship has yet to enjoy its promised refit, and the state of the toilets was disgusting. As for the smell, god knows where that stemmed from. It was delightful that the plumber dumped the contents of the blocked toilet in our cabin bin as well. Never again, and you can be sure a letter of complaint is heading Thomsons way. Overall, appalled that they allowed this ship to sail. There was more engineers on board than staff.

Didn't do the all inclusive package, and glad I didn't as well, as people were complaining left, right and centre regarding the lack of drink options
Just back from the Med crusie on board the Thomson Dream, was our first cruise, (both in late 40's) and it definitely didn't live up to expectations!!, the service was poor, the plumbing awful,(smell of sewage in certain areas,(6 cabins had had raw sewage flowing into them, and the passengers moved into other cabins), toilets out of order persistantly, food not that impressive except in the Orion restuarant, and the tales of hell we heard about the previous week, (it's first week) were totally unacceptable and one quote "there was a near mutiny about the "all inclusive deal" , but that seems to have been sorted now, but at least on 3 occasions we received no alcohol in our drinks/cocktails. The smell of fresh paint is everywhere, I personally don't think this ship was ready to sail, from a refurbishment point of view, and also staff training.
Everybody we spoke to, about 20 couples, who had been on many Thomson cruises before, said this was not typical of a Thomsons cruise, and that if you can wait until after Oct and the ship gets it's total refurbishment, then thats the time to book it.
We may cruise again, and maybe with Thomson's but it will depend on their response to our legitimate complaints,
Just come back from a week on the Dream (should be nightmare) it has problems galore with flooding ,leaks, air conditioning. It should never been put to sea until theses problems were ironed out.I`ve been on 2 other Thomson cruises (Spirit & Emerald) both were top drawer this was a total dissappoinment........I won`t be put off ;going on the Celebration in January; but a lot of first timers on this one maybe put off for good.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.